Sneeky Dog Urination problem

Old March 19th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Sneeky Dog Urination problem

We have a 5 year old Bichon that used to urinate in our walk in closet
while we slept. We solved this by crate training her, she sleeps in a
crate in our bedroom now. About 6 months ago we added a new Cockapoo
and she has recently started up the same bad habit. It is difficult to
correct as we are sleeping when this occurs. The obvious solution isto
crate train the Cockapoo as well, however she is resisting willfully
and my wife just wants a good nights sleep. So, we trust her again and
she does the same thing.

I have tried cleaning the spot with special dog carpet shampoo numerous
times, spraying dog repellent in the area, and even replaced the carpet
and painted the subfloor with Kilz. Nothing has stopped this behavior.

We would like to be able to trust our dogs at night, they have the run
of the house during the day and there is no problem as long as the
bedroom door is closed, if we leave it open thats where they go.

Any suggestions?

Old March 22nd 06, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

The obvious solution isto
crate train the Cockapoo as well,

my favorite method is tethering the dog to the middle of the head of my bed.
they get a short distance in the beginning so basically sleep on or next to
my pillow. I always wake up when they try to get my attention (and I am a
deep sleeper) and they never peed when tethered because then they would have
to lay in it. I would gradually give them more and more room until
eventually they wouldn't need to be tethered anymore.

If there is a 'real' dog behaviorist or someone with some knowledge of german shephards could you please help me with my problem jlm Dog behavior 0 August 30th 05 02:53 AM
To All Dog Owners CB Dogs - general 3 July 31st 05 09:48 AM
urination problem. Rob Dog behavior 6 December 15th 03 03:06 PM
urination problem. Rob Dog behavior 0 December 13th 03 01:30 PM
urination problem. Rob Dog behavior 0 December 13th 03 01:30 PM