Thinking about adopting a greyhound

Old March 20th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Thinking about adopting a greyhound

I'm thinking about adopting a greyhound. Can anyone tell me some of
the heath issues involved in the breed and their temperment. I've had
dobermans, boxers and English Mastiffs. What is the life expectancy?
Your assistance is appreciated.

Old March 21st 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

On 20 Mar 2006 15:16:29 -0800, "vannwms"
wrote:

I'm thinking about adopting a greyhound. Can anyone tell me some of
the heath issues involved in the breed and their temperment. I've had
dobermans, boxers and English Mastiffs. What is the life expectancy?
Your assistance is appreciated.

Life expectancy is 12-14. Ex-racing greyhounds are couch potatoes;
they go out for a sprint around the yard and then come in for a few
hours' nap. They are generally good with other dogs and most are okay
with cats. There really aren't any health issues, because of the way
breeders select for speed, though like any long-boned dog osteosarcoma
is a concern. There are over 250 greyhound rescue organizations in
the US, so if you do a little internet research, you can find a lot of
useful information. We ask our adopters to read Adopting the Racing
Greyhound (3rd edition) by Cynthia Branigan; you might want to check
the book store or library for that.

Mustang Sally
Old March 21st 06, 10:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

vannwms wrote:
I'm thinking about adopting a greyhound. Can anyone tell me some of
the heath issues involved in the breed and their temperment. I've had
dobermans, boxers and English Mastiffs. What is the life expectancy?
Your assistance is appreciated.

i've had a foster lurcher x grey hound who was absolute pleasure to
have around. if were to give up fostering and own another dog it would
probably a greyhound or lurcher

Old March 21st 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

wrote:

[...]

Also greyhounds are *not* good at being watchdogs. They generally
do *not* bark when someone comes to the door.