Elderly dog having issues with steps....

Old March 24th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Elderly dog having issues with steps....

We found Elwood, my yellow lab mix, ten years ago and he could have
been anywhere from 3-7(suggests the vet) so is now a grand total of
about 13(probably) to 17(I doubt it since labs don't usually live that
long). He is very athletic and healthy for his age but has some
arthritus in one of his back legs. He is fine running or walking on
flat surfaces and can easily conqure the indoor steps, which aren't all
that steep, but he stumbles on the stoop. It is the stoop that goes
from the back yard into the kitchen (so it is not our front door). I
was wondering if there are any products on the market that could help
Woody without being a total eyesore and hard for humans to get by. I am
willing to make an investment since my younger lab, Potter, has
athritus all over (he is a bit obese but we love em') and may need it
soon.

Old March 25th 06, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote requesting information about
dog ramps:

If you go to
http://google.com and search on dog ramp you will
be given links to several manufacturers of these products. This
will give you an idea of what's available on the market and the
prices.

FurPaw
--
"...curious...that women would move from playing with Barbie to
denouncing Barbie to remaking themselves as Barbie."

To reply, unleash the dog
Old March 25th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Along with building a ramp for the dogs have you talked to the vet about
medications to help ease the arthritis pain? My dog Barney took Rimadyl and
eventually Deramaxx for his arthritis for the last 5 years of his life.
Without the medications I would have had to put him down since the pain was
so bad he could barely walk 10 feet without collapsing.

Celeste

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article .com,
was wondering if there are any products on the market that could help
Woody without being a total eyesore and hard for humans to get by.

Depending on how wide the stoop is you could buy or build a
ramp wide enough for the dog but narrow enough for humans to
walk past easily.