reaction to phenobarbital?

Old April 1st 06, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default reaction to phenobarbital?

Our 75 pound German Shepherd began having seizures four days ago,
probably due to contact with an unpunctured can of bug spray we found
on the yard. She was convulsing almost continuously until we brought
her into the vet where she got atropine and diazepam.

The first two days we gave her 1.5cc's to .75cc's of diazepam at the
onset of each seizure. She was having around eight each day, lasting
less than a minute each.

On the third day we stopped the diazepam and started giving her 60mg
phenobarbital twice and on the fourth day we bumped it up to 180 twice
a day. The third evening her seizures became more frequent but less
severe.

Up until now her appetite and disposition have been good, but today she

is hardly moving at all. She is having small seizures while remaining
upright, she's incredibly tense and she is terrified of everything.
She'll lurch away when approached. Even the sound of her own name
being spoken softly frightens her. I can't get close enough to check
her pulse, temp or pupils.

Is this an allergic reaction to the phenobarbital, a withdrawl from the

diazepam or a worsening of her original condition? The constant terror

and loss of appetite are the things that concern me.

Old April 3rd 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I had an old lab that had some type of siezure when he was around 9
years old. His vet seemed to think it was a brain tumor and immediatly
put him on phenobarbital telling us he may be a little lethargic as a
side effect. For the next month my mellow old lab rarely was able to
get up and when he did he wasn't able to walk without stumbling. He
had no balance and could barely lift his head off the ground most of
the time. His vet was very unhelpful and unsympathetic to my
discription of his behavior. I thought every day that my dog was surly
dying. I finally took him to another vet. We weened him off the
pheno. he slowly returned to normal and lived another 4 years and died
of something totally unrelated to any type of brain tumor and never had
another seizure. I know the reasons for the pheno. are totally
different in your case but the side effects my dog experienced while on
it were severe and not worth any benifit my dog could have gotten from
it.

Phenobarbital shesand Dog health 8 March 6th 06 09:00 PM
Strange reaction to another dog Tess Dog behavior 0 September 6th 04 12:59 PM
Strange reaction to another dog Tess Dog behavior 0 September 6th 04 12:59 PM
Dog reaction towards death [email protected] Dog behavior 4 October 11th 03 03:46 PM
Dog reaction towards death [email protected] Dog behavior 0 October 11th 03 01:44 AM