plaque

Old March 20th 04, 09:38 PM
Redman

Default plaque

Folks;

Needs some advice

12½ year old "dober-mutt" has plaque pretty thick on 2 of her teeth on the
left side in the rear.
I just learned the hard way that denta-bones alone don't substitute for a
toothbrush
Because of her age I an loathe to having her sedated and scaled
To complicate matters some, a large piece of the plaque broke somewhat loose
but hasn't come all the way out (it's loose, but when you fidget with it,
her gum moves well below the gum line.

I am worried cause she's totally chewing on the other side
What options are out there?
Is there "safe" sedation?

thanks in advance for your help!

REDMAN

Old March 20th 04, 09:48 PM
Marshall Dermer

In article fZ17c.50835$SR1.91777@attbi_s04 "Redman"
writes:
I am worried cause she's totally chewing on the other side
What options are out there?
Is there "safe" sedation?

thanks in advance for your help!

REDMAN

I trust my veterinarians and would bring my dog in to have
his teeth cleaned in this situation. In humans infected
gums are correlated with heart disease.

I guess the basic question is whether your veterinarians are
experienced and do you trust them?

--Marshall
Old March 20th 04, 09:52 PM
Sharon too

I am worried cause she's totally chewing on the other side
What options are out there?
Is there "safe" sedation?

Since periodontal disease can cause secondary and sometimes fatal illness
and disease to the other major organs in the body, I would have this looked
at. As for safe sedation, what is used in modern clinics is very safe
providing the pet is healthy going into the procedure. THe best way to find
out if your pet qualifies is to have the vet exam your pup, run some blood
chemistries to assess the kidneys among other things and possibly have an
ECG performed to check heart function.

We scale teeth on dogs and cats of all ages. Our own 13 year old dog
included. All of course had good blood work before hand. Please talk to your
vet. Or post this over at alt.med.veterinary. One of the vets over there
could answer your specific medical questions. Good luck.

-Sharon

Old March 21st 04, 03:16 AM
Spot

Is there any possibility that he will allow someone to clean the plaque
without being sedated? In the past I always had Barneys teeth cleaned
sedated and if he was in for something else that required sedation I had it
done at the same time.

The last time he was in the vets husband (who is a large animal vet) just
simply grabbed him and went to town on his teeth. With everyone else he
always put up a fuss for some strange reason he co-operated...go figure!!
Anyway next time it needs done I'm going to see if he'll take care of it
since he obviously has no fear of him.

Celeste

Old March 22nd 04, 11:55 AM
Fr0m My Petz and I

Take care of your dog's teeth. Take your dog to your vet & have it done
propely. Before that poor dog has to have alot of his teeth removed

Old March 22nd 04, 01:51 PM
Redman

folks:
Thank-you very much
I'm going to try a new vet - my vet was very reluctant
She's been drinking allot of water lately, and that raised his concern about
kidneys
Not particularly sure what constitutes "allot" of water - she and her sister
split about 1.5 liters a day and she drinks more than her smaller
counterpart (dober-mutt is 42 LBS, Beagle-mix is 32 LBS)
My thought is that the tooth was hurting her, and drinking water probably
helps

REDMAN

Old March 23rd 04, 02:44 AM
Sharon too

She's been drinking allot of water lately, and that raised his concern
about
kidneys
Not particularly sure what constitutes "allot" of water - she and her

sister
split about 1.5 liters a day and she drinks more than her smaller
counterpart (dober-mutt is 42 LBS, Beagle-mix is 32 LBS)
My thought is that the tooth was hurting her, and drinking water probably
helps

Our dogs drink a lot of water every day too. Fortunately they have a
"drinking problem" spilling a good amount on the floor! As for kidney
function, a simple blood test can tell the vet a lot. Did your concerned vet
offer a blood test?

-Sharon

Old March 23rd 04, 06:50 PM
Redman

"Sharon too" wrote in message
She's been drinking allot of water lately, and that raised his concern

about
kidneys

"drinking problem" spilling a good amount on the floor! As for kidney
function, a simple blood test can tell the vet a lot. Did your concerned

vet
offer a blood test?

-Sharon

No, he offered special food that was really expensive.
In his defense, the food was cheaper than the test and he knew from the
conversation immediately prior that we didn't have a boatload of cash to
spend that morning - but we've never refused tests for our pets in the past.

The dober-mutt drinks daintily and neatly
The beagle-mutt gets about ¼ of the water rolling down her chin....she's
just lucky she's cute.

REDMAN

Old March 23rd 04, 07:09 PM
Sharon too

No, he offered special food that was really expensive.
In his defense, the food was cheaper than the test and he knew from the
conversation immediately prior that we didn't have a boatload of cash to
spend that morning - but we've never refused tests for our pets in the

past.

I'd at least get some blood work done.

The dober-mutt drinks daintily and neatly
The beagle-mutt gets about ¼ of the water rolling down her chin....she's
just lucky she's cute.

Darn drinking problems. If the dogs could just stay and drip in one place it
would make my life easier. But when they walk away and drip throughout the
downstairs... Don't know how many times I've almost fallen on my keester on
the wet tile floor after the dogs have been at the pub.

-Sharon

Old March 24th 04, 01:46 AM
Spot

Sharon,

For my purposes I found a mud & snow mat that you put your boots on in the
winter. It's made out of sturdy plastic with a good size lip. I can fit
one huge pan of water for the dogs and small bowl for the cats on it easily.

If you don't think that would be big enough another thought be to use the
huge commercial baking pans to put under the water bowls. I won't stop the
trailing water problem but will help contain what gets spilled right at the
location.

Celeste