Looking for a bulldog

Old August 10th 03, 10:31 PM
Marcel C. R.

Default Looking for a bulldog

I've been looking for a bulldog with no luck, does any one know any breeders
or a place that i can find puppies? The one's i found were very expensive, i
am willing to pay for the dog at a reasonable price. If any one can help out
my e-mail is on the post..!!

thanks.

Old August 10th 03, 11:58 PM
Tara O.

"Marcel C. R." wrote in message
I've been looking for a bulldog with no luck, does any one know any

breeders
or a place that i can find puppies? The one's i found were very expensive,

am willing to pay for the dog at a reasonable price. If any one can help

out
my e-mail is on the post..!!

They are very expensive everywhere. If backyard breeders are easily getting
$800-$1200 per pup, I assume that responsible breeders are getting much more
than that. They aren't easy to come by which is a great thing for the
breed. I hope you've fully researched the breed because they have about as
many health problems as a dog can have. They're adorable but if you don't
get one from a resonsible breeder...one who health tests parents for a host
of hereditary diseases...then you'll likely find that the purchase price was
a drop in the bucket compared to the veterinary expenses you'll accrue over
just the first few years of the dog's life, possibly just over the first few
years.

--
Tara

Old August 11th 03, 04:18 AM
Countdown to 55

They are very expensive everywhere. If backyard breeders are easily getting
$800-$1200 per pup, I assume that responsible breeders are getting much more
than that. They aren't easy to come by which is a great thing for the
breed. I hope you've fully researched the breed because they have about as
many health problems as a dog can have. They're adorable but if you don't
get one from a resonsible breeder...one who health tests parents for a host
of hereditary diseases...then you'll likely find that the purchase price was
a drop in the bucket compared to the veterinary expenses you'll accrue over
just the first few years of the dog's life, possibly just over the first few
years.

--
Tara

Yep, ditto from my keyboard. They're adorable dogs but there's a high price to
be paid for such man-made adorableness.

Friends of mine just went to a backyard breeder in another state and bought an
English Bullie pup for $700 without any registration papers. This was after
I'd warned 'em that they really didn't want to do that, so my powers of
persuasion weren't any too good.

Pup has cherry eye (very common in Bullies). Initial consultation trip to the
ophthalmologist -- $180. Price to correct the cherry eye -- will be around
$450-500. Prognosis -- on the poor side because the cherry eye surgery often
doesn't hold over the long run.

Pup also has developed skin problems. Diagnosis -- serious allergies. (Also
very very common in Bullies.) They're going to try desentization shots -- they
don't have a price on that one yet but it ain't cheap.

And this dog isn't even 6 months old yet.

I guess what I would say to the original poster here is that if you can't
afford the price that a good reputable breeder charges, you can't afford the
price that a bad backyard breeder will charge either. Either way, you'll
definitely end up paying and you'll pay more in the long run for the dog that
started out cheaper. If it was me and I was dead-set on a Bullie, I'd save my
money and go for the quality product. You'll be glad you did.

I've rescued a few owner-surrendered Bullies in my day. All of them given up
because the owners couldn't/wouldn't afford the vet bills. I didn't really
appreciate the vet bills either but I raised the money and got 'em paid. And
those dogs basically paid for the vet clinic over their lifetimes. Backyard
breeders of Bullies -- the gift that keeps on giving.

Cindy

Old August 11th 03, 04:22 PM
Jerry Sheldon

Marcel C. R. wrote:

I've been looking for a bulldog with no luck, does any one know any breeders
or a place that i can find puppies? The one's i found were very expensive, i
am willing to pay for the dog at a reasonable price. If any one can help out
my e-mail is on the post..!!

Marcel,

To locate a breeder can GOTO The Bulldog Club of America site and find
the Breeder Referral link. http://www.thebca.org

The cautions below are good ones. The pups are expensive and this has
caused many to breed so as to make their fortune selling ill-bred pups.
The breed has the potential for serious health issues in the beast of
breedings and you really want to try to avoid the ill-bred ones.

Additionally, if you can attend a local (to you) AKC Dog Show it will
allow you to meet some breeders and their dogs. Generally the Bulldogs
are in the ring early in the day, particularly at outdoor shows. The
prevailing cost of a pup sold by advertising in the Washington Post is
$1500-$1700. Generally the price from a breeder with a track record in
showing and breeding is somewhat higher. (Likely $2000+)

Best of luck in your quest. Be VERY careful.

Jerry