Florida passes law that allows restraining orders to include pets!

Old April 11th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

Default Florida passes law that allows restraining orders to include pets!

I just heard it on the news! Pets are now legally protected by court
injunctions against domestic violence! It's about time!

Jenny

Old April 12th 06, 11:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

I did find this link about the CARE program in Broward County, Florida.
They provide free shelter for family pets allowing the members of the family
to seek their shelter without having to abandon their pets. Good idea.

--
Ruth, Greta, Woody & Thelma

Old April 12th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

That is sssooo cool! I was in a bad relationship when I was much
younger (18) and the police helped me go into an apartment rented in my
name, I was soley responsible for the rent, but since drunken loser had
been there a while, I had to go to court to get him out. Meantime, the
police helped me pack a few items, but my poor cat was under the sofa
that A/wipe was sprawled on. I couldn't convince the cat to get out
or Robert to get up so I could turn the couch over. When I walked in a
day or 2 later, with my father, the mother f---er had killed Sammy. The
cops refused to help me get him! It's great to see things are
improving.
Please send me the address. Or perhaps I can find it through a search.
Thanks.
Jenny

Old April 13th 06, 11:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.rescue

"Bunny" wrote in message
oups.com...
Please send me the address. Or perhaps I can find it through a search.

Here is the website: http://www.sheriff.org/safety/issued.cfm

And the blurb regarding the CARE program:

Include family pets or other animals in your safety and escape plans.
Animals are often targeted (threatened with harm, cruelly injured, or
killed) by a batterer or stalker as a means of controlling, terrorizing or
punishing human victims. If it is not safe for you to remain at home, it is
likely not safe for your animals, either.

Broward Sheriff's Lieutenant Sherry Schlueter operates a private, non-profit
program to assist victims of domestic violence or stalking with free,
temporary safe-housing for their endangered pets. This program, C.A.R.E.
(Companion Animal Rescue Effort), provides sheltering and care of the
animals, enabling the family to go to safety without having to leave the
pets behind. The animals are returned to the victims when the family has a
safe place to live with the animals.

For more information about this program, contact Lt. Schlueter during
regular business hours at (954) 321-4239. If urgent, call (954) 765-4321 and
ask for the duty officer to contact Lt. Schlueter right away.

--
Ruth, Greta, Woody & Thelma