Eukanuba, Innova or Old Mother Hubbard

Old April 12th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Eukanuba, Innova or Old Mother Hubbard

After reading and understanding most of what I read in 2 dog nutrition
books, I have decided to switch the food I use for my dogs. I was looking
at the Eukanuba Lamb and Rice formula, Innova and Old Mother Hubbard's
Wellness formula. Does anyone have any opinions on these foods? If it
matters, my dogs are an almost two year old moderately active toy poodle
with frequent ear problems and an 8 month old very active toy poodle who
could stand to gain some weight. Thanks for any opinions.

Old April 12th 06, 04:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" wrote in message:

After reading and understanding most of what I read in 2 dog nutrition
books, I have decided to switch the food I use for my dogs. I was looking
at the Eukanuba Lamb and Rice formula, Innova and Old Mother Hubbard's
Wellness formula. Does anyone have any opinions on these foods?

Maui's frequent ear infections could indicate some sort of food sensitivity.
I would try switching to something with a different set of proteins/carbs
than the one you are using now. If I had to guess, I'd say that you're more
likely to find that in Wellness than the other two. I couldn't even begin
to guess how much you are feeding your dogs now, but Innova is a very high
calorie food, and you will probably need to feed less, at least for Maui.

Although I find it to be biased in favor of their own products, the Natura
Pet website provides a decent product comparison tool, and explains a little
something about the ingredients in the foods:
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

Suja

Old April 12th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Maui's frequent ear infections could indicate some sort of
food sensitivity. I would try switching to something with a
different set of proteins/carbs than the one you are using
now. If I had to guess, I'd say that you're more likely to
find that in Wellness than the other two.

Or she could try Innova's sister food: California Natural.
There are lamb, chicken, and herring formulations.

Old April 12th 06, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 11:40:08 -0400, "Suja"
wrote:

"MauiJNP" wrote in message:

[...]

Switching to a food with only one protein source might be a better
idea. Innova's a great food, but it has a lot of ingredients, which
isn't what you're looking for in a case of possible food allergies.
California Natural would be a better choice. I think Wellness may
have a novel protein formula - - fish and sweet potato, or something -
- but even that may contain a lot of other ingredients.

Mustang Sally

Old April 12th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

After reading and understanding most of what I read in 2 dog
nutrition
books, I have decided to switch the food I use for my dogs. I was
looking
at the Eukanuba Lamb and Rice formula, Innova and Old Mother Hubbard's
Wellness formula. Does anyone have any opinions on these foods?

Maui's frequent ear infections could indicate some sort of food
sensitivity.

I thought so too but everytime I mention allergies at the vets they deny it
could be related. The vet claims that Maui would have a bunch of other
problems in addition to the ears if it was an allergy and not something else
causing the ear problems. I am at the point where I am going to switch the
food to see how it affects Maui even though the vets doesn't agree because
in addition to his ears, I think his coat could stand to be a little softer
and shinier (his "adult" coat is not as soft as his "puppy" coat).

I would try switching to something with a different set of proteins/carbs
than the one you are using now.

That's what I was thinking when I looked into the Lamb and Rice formula from
Eukanuba and the Lamb formula from Wellness (since Maui is currently on a
chicken based food).

If I had to guess, I'd say that you're more
likely to find that in Wellness than the other two.

I was just reading some more on the net and I would pick the Wellness over
the Eukanuba. I see the first ingredient in both is lamb so that's the
same,
but I like that Wellness has lamb meal, white fish, ground brown rice,
ground barley as the other top ingredients whereas Eukanuba has Brewer's
Rice, Corn Meal, Fish Meal and Ground Whole Grain Sorghum.

I couldn't even begin
to guess how much you are feeding your dogs now, but Innova is a very high
calorie food, and you will probably need to feed less, at least for Maui.

Maui gets 2/3 cups a day of Pro Plan dry. The amount seems to be working ok
(his weight is steady, his waist visiable, ribs can be felt easily). Cali
on the other hand, I think needs to bulk up. She has such a tiny frame and
her bones are too easy to see/feel. She gets the puppy formula about eats
almost 1 cup a day (she almost never finishes it all). I asked the vet
about some higher calorie foods and they told me not to try that before
trying something else first. Their suggestion was adding a dog gravy to her
food to entice her to eat more of her regular food and get a few extra
calories in. She eats at least 2/3 a day but usually closer to the one cup.
In the nutrition books I've been reading it is really hard to tell how many
calories she needs. It says a 10 pound active dog needs 441 but she is a 7
pound 8 month old active dog. I've been looking online to find a good
guideline for her size/age/activity level but it I am not having much luck.
I use google to search for 'dog calorie calculator' and similar terms but I
keep getting places to find how much calories are burned while walking a
dog.

Although I find it to be biased in favor of their own products, the Natura
Pet website provides a decent product comparison tool, and explains a
little
something about the ingredients in the foods:
http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=comp-wiz

great site, thanks. I had been using another site to compare them but this
does it side by side which is nicer.

THANKS again for everything!

Old April 13th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Wellness had added meniadone that is banned by the FDA for human
consumption.

I've never heard of this. I googled "meniadone" and it appears to have
something to do with vitamin K? I will look more into this. Thanks.

All of
the Innova produsts and the other products Natura makes are great. I'd
do something in that direction myself

I am going to call them tomorrow to ask about some of the foods they have.
I heard they are very good at answering questions, such as the percent of
digestibility and others. I also need to see if they have a non-chicken
based product so its back to the website I go.

THANKS!

Old April 13th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Suja" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Maui's frequent ear infections could indicate some sort of
food sensitivity. I would try switching to something with a
different set of proteins/carbs than the one you are using
now. If I had to guess, I'd say that you're more likely to
find that in Wellness than the other two.

Or she could try Innova's sister food: California Natural.
There are lamb, chicken, and herring formulations.

sounds good. I am going to head back to the website. I definately want to
stay away from a chicken based food to see how Maui does on it!

THANKs!

Old April 13th 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Papa Dog wrote in
:

Wellness had added meniadone that is banned by the FDA for human
consumption.

I am not sure why you mentioned this. Unless she is practicing for Fear
Factor, she won't be eating her dog's food.

From what I found googling Menadione (note proper spelling) is that the FDA
has banned the sale of menadione supplements because of high toxicity,
however it is frequently used in low levels as a "micronutrient"[1] in
livestock feed.

[1] Micronutrient - a VITAMIN or mineral that the body must obtain from
outside sources. Micronutrients are essential to the body in small amounts
because they are either components of ENZYMES or act as coenzymes in
managing chemical reactions.

Many of the sites that I found made a giant (IMO) step from menadione being
toxic in large doses to it also being toxic in small doses. This is not a
valid link that can be made.

--
Marcel and Moogli
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Old April 14th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

I would try Evo (made by Innova). It's a grain free food and if your
dog has allergies and itchy ears, this might work out well. It comes
in both dry and canned I believe:

http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=product-detail&pxsl=//product%5B@id='1304'%5D