Lyme Disease?

Old April 14th 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Lyme Disease?

I have a two year old English Springer Spaniel. We live in MD and he
loves the outdoors. Today was his annual checkup. After running some
blood tests, it was concluded that Polo (springer) has Lyme disease, or
some sort of dormant Lyme disease in his bloodstream. The nurse
mentioned 30-40% of the dogs in our area have it, and with some
antibiotics he should be fine. My questions are this:

1. Polo has already gotten his Lyme disease vaccination, shouldn't
this have protected him?
2. I noticed a correlation between a deer tick he got on his nose and
an ear infection/ swollen glands under his ear a couple months ago.
The vet treated it as an ear infection since springers are so prone to
them. Could this have been a symptom?
3. We have been very good at putting Frontline Plus on our dog. We
usually put it on the back of his neck. Why didn't this stop him from
contracting disease?
4. The doctor indicated that by treating him with anitbiotics he should
be fine. Is this accurate?

My wife is pretty upset about this, and I'm looking for some guidance.
We're going to the vet's again tomorrow to get his medicine, but any
outside data would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ryan Begin