Very nervous dog

Old April 14th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Very nervous dog

Hi All

I'd really appreciate any advice,links to advice :-)

We have just brought into our home a third Bedlington Terrier.

Our other two were brought in as puppies and are fairly well adjusted.

The new dog is from a breeder who is finishing.

The dog we took in (well paid$100 for) is 5 years old,a dog and was just a
stud dog with no house training or much human company.

The poor little soul is very nervous (the breeder did warn us)
He is great with our two other dogs (a big plus point) - but terrified of
human contact (he really flinches).

He loves his food so I keep a lot of little dog biccies in my pocket - he
comes for those!!
I can see in his gait that he would love to come to us but he is just sooooo
nervous.

At the moment he is peeoing everywhere - yep in the house!!
The sofas are now covered in plastic sheeting!!

I know he is only marking his territory but I think that this is probably a
nervous issue too.
We will have him de-sexed and hopefully this will lessen the peeing.

We are going to give him all the love and kindness in the world.

I'd really appreciate any tips or shared experiences.

Cheers

--
Tyke

Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

Old April 14th 06, 05:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

You have to get him socialized. Start with you guys and bond with him.
Don't discipline him at all, with the exception of "no" until he's
comfortable around you, you want him to trust you and look to you for
guidance. Every time he comes to you, make it the biggest deal ever
with lots of treats and love and such. Also, let him approach you to
begin with, if you ignore him, he's more apt to want to see who you are.
You're much less threatening when you're not paying attention to him.

Once he's comfortable around you guys, you need to start introducing him
to other people. Make it people you know and who are good with
dogs/aren't scared of them. It's very possible that he may bite
somebody if he feels overwhelmed or trapped, so make sure they
understand the situation. Anyways, give people treats and every time he
goes near them, have them give him treats and just get him used to
people being around. When he gets good with that, you can take him to
PetSmart and such places to get him around strangers and just a social
setting. But just concentrate on getting him to learn that people are
good and to associate people with fun/yummy things.

Old April 15th 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thanks for your input Snowbunny :-)

We are taking it slowly with him :-)

He is desperate for human company and I'm sure it's only a question of time
..
--
Tyke

Luck is when the paths of opportunity and preparation cross.

In ,
SnowBunny typed: