Dog eating poop - how to stop?

Old April 16th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Dog eating poop - how to stop?

Makes me wonder why a smart and intelligent labradoodle of about 2.5 years
of age, who is fed raw food and various treats and bones, would have this
occasional liking to other dogs' poop. Not all of them... just some
selected ones, on an occasion.

What is more important for me at this point is how to stop him from doing
it. Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks,
Simon

Old April 16th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Simon Goland" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

What is more important for me at this point is how to stop
him from doing it. Any suggestions/ideas?

You're not going to like my answer, but the only thing which
works is picking it up as soon as it hits the ground. You've
got to break the habit.

Old April 16th 06, 11:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 16 Apr 2006 03:08:29 GMT, Rocky , clicked
their heels and said:

You're not going to like my answer, but the only thing which
works is picking it up as soon as it hits the ground. You've
got to break the habit.

Since the OP said it's random dogs, I'm betting the dog is finding it
at a park or such, where the owners haven't picked up. Hard to search
the whole park to find every left poop pile!

Still, the answer is vigilance - an eagle eye on your dog and what
he's ABOUT to do. If he's off leash somewhere, that's imperative
anyway, poop eater or not.
--
Janet Boss
Old April 16th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet B said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Since the OP said it's random dogs, I'm betting the dog is
finding it at a park or such, where the owners haven't
picked up. Hard to search the whole park to find every
left poop pile!

He wrote "other" dogs, which I took at the time as dogs within
his control.

Anyway, my advice about picking it up stands. If everyone did
this, there wouldn't be an issue. And, as you wrote, vigilance
(I'll add a good "leave it") is the answer no matter where you
are.

As to searching the whole park, we do a whole lot of that in
some of the largest off-leash areas in North America. From
annual post-melt pick-up days to the convention of bagging found
poo and leaving it by the trailside to pick up later or have
someone else on the path back dispose of it.