Lab Mix targeted at dog park?

Old April 17th 06, 04:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Lab Mix targeted at dog park?

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 10:50:12 +0000, laura&pete
wrote:

Pete, my 5 y.o. neutered male lab mix adopted 3 yrs. ago, has been
trained and socialized and does the obligatory sniffing of other dogs
but mostly ignores them and doesn't engage them in play (though he
growls, understandably, when one tries to hump him). This afternoon as
we were strolling around the dog park, we encountered one of the usual
"packs" there, owners who bring several dogs at once and set up camp in
an area. Although Pete and I have never had any problems with these
dogs, I should've noticed that the dominant one, a large black Dane,
was suddenly alert, because very quickly all the dogs ran to attack
mine as he yelped and cowered submissively in a way that he never has.
It was total chaos, and I was afraid of what I'd find when I got to my
dog, but Pete was very fortunately not injured, just frightened, and he
recovered easily. Another owner apologized, I found my car keys, and
Pete and I went to a different part of the park with friendlier dogs
and people - and no packs. Although I was angry that the pack owners
didn't have better control over their dogs, I didn't say much or scold
anyone - I was just so glad that Pete was OK.

Also, I couldn't help feeling responsible for entering their
"territory" (though I don't think they should be allowed to claim it)
and for bringing him there in the first place (he'd had an upset
stomach and awful diarrhea a few days before that seemed to have
cleared up, but maybe the other dogs still sensed nervousness?) Pete
seems fine now, and I think I was probably more traumatized by the
experience than he was, but I guess I'm wondering what went wrong -
should we stay away from the park, or just that area and those dogs,
and how best to handle these situations in the future?

Sorry myself for the long post - I appreciate reading about a similar
experience and hearing any additional advice you may have.

~Laura

This is the first and only time this has been a problem for him? And
he's been just fine with that particular "pack" before?

I'm hoping others have some insights into what might have triggered
this, because I really don't. I do find it interesting both that he
yelped and cowered and that the other dogs did no damage. That
prickles at the back of my mind, it suggests that this was an alarming
but normal interaction, they needed him to kowtow and he did so. Mind
you, even with that interpretation I'd be upset and on edge if my dog
or dogs were involved.

--------------------------------------
If you really need to email me, mow the lawn.
Old April 17th 06, 09:50 AM
laura&pete laura&pete is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth B Naime
This is the first and only time this has been a problem for him? And he's been just fine with that particular "pack" before?

I'm hoping others have some insights into what might have triggered
this, because I really don't. I do find it interesting both that he
yelped and cowered and that the other dogs did no damage. That
prickles at the back of my mind, it suggests that this was an alarming
but normal interaction, they needed him to kowtow and he did so. Mind
you, even with that interpretation I'd be upset and on edge if my dog
or dogs were involved.
Thanks so much for responding, Elizabeth, and posting a new thread for me.

Yes, we've encountered this group of dogs before, and though I suspect other parkgoers have had problems with this pack, Pete and I never have. This is why I wasn't expecting the attack, and I suppose neither was Pete as he was just sniffing the area at the moment of the attack, so nothing provoked it as far as I could sense.

I'd never seen Pete act so submissively this way, and it was terrifying to see and hear, so I was surprised to find him uninjured, but the back of his neck was very wet which could've been from a wet dog or from the mouth of the dominating dog? I think that either the dominating dog or pack meant no real harm, and Pete simply overreacted in fear, or that maybe he really was in danger and somehow managed to protect himself from injury.

I guess this incident has made me question the notion of the dog park itself, if it tends to foster the pack mentality, and with other exercise options available to us, if it even makes any sense to go there anymore?