Urgent! False pregnancy behavior or sickness?

Old March 21st 04, 09:39 AM
Spork

Default Urgent! False pregnancy behavior or sickness?

hello. we had our beagle fixed and after a few days she started acting
weird. she started shivering all the time including in her sleep and just
looked sick. we took her to the 24 hour place and they told us she has a
false pregnancy and possibly a small fever and gave us amoxicillin. The vet
that did the surgery didnt warn us about this or give us any info about
special care.

She is still shivering even in her sleep and when she seems calm. She was
panting quite a bit today also. Were starting to wonder if its something
more than a false pregnancy. Im asking if this is normal or if she needs to
anythig unless you bring her in. Shouldnt they give us some info over the
phone? We have already been there once and starting to think they are just
money hungry. So is this constant shivering in her sleep normal?

thanks in advance

Old March 21st 04, 02:53 PM
Scott

My uneducated advice would be to take her back to the vet. Shivering,
panting, and a rather sick look doesn't sound right to me. You know
your dog better than the vet.

I had my German shepherd dog spayed at one year of age, two months after
she had gone through her first heat cycle. About one to two days after
surgery, she began lactating and for about a twelve hour period of time,
she vomited at least every hour. To me, my dog's experience sounds like
a false pregnancy and/or a sudden overdose of hormones. My dog stopped
lactating over a period of several days and stopped vomiting after
twelve hours.

Old March 21st 04, 04:03 PM
Cori

Spork wrote:
hello. we had our beagle fixed and after a few days she started acting
weird. she started shivering all the time including in her sleep and just
looked sick. we took her to the 24 hour place and they told us she has a
false pregnancy

doubtful. False pregnancies occur 65 days after a heat cycle. Did you
have her spayed 65 days after her heat cycle? Bitches shiver prior to
delivery of pups because their temperature DROPS. But the shivering
certainly doesn't remain.

and possibly a small fever

Either she has a fever or she doesn't. What was her temperature?
Anything over 103 F is a fever. A fever indicates infection. It's quite
possible she has some kind of infection due to the surgery.

and gave us amoxicillin.

Broad-spectrum antibiotic for infection.

How about trying a different vet. She may be bleeding internally. They
may have nicked her bowel and she is loaded with infection. So many
things could possibly be wrong.

The vet
that did the surgery didnt warn us about this or give us any info about
special care.

She is still shivering even in her sleep and when she seems calm. She was
panting quite a bit today also. Were starting to wonder if its something
more than a false pregnancy. Im asking if this is normal or if she needs to
anythig unless you bring her in. Shouldnt they give us some info over the
phone?

No - they cannot diagnose over the phone.

We have already been there once and starting to think they are just
money hungry.

They cannot diagnose over the phone. If you are not satisifed with their
care of your dog, go to another vet. I would.

So is this constant shivering in her sleep normal?

No. It is not normal.