Puppy is very aggressive.

Old April 24th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Puppy is very aggressive.

I have a Miniature Schnauzer that is just over 4 months old. I was
able to teach him all of the obedience training very quickly; and he
behaves great in our apartment. He listens to every command and does
not bark at all when left alone in a room or while sleeping in his
crate.

However, when he is with other dogs he is very aggressive and loud
(barking a lot). He will bark and nip the other dog like crazy (no
matter how big); he was jumping up in the face of a German Sheppard the
other day. While at the dog park he'll greet every dog and person he
can find; which would be fine but he nips and barks 75% of the time.

I've let him play with another dog for a while and they have quiet
moments where they chase a ball around, or share a treat. But, 5
minutes later he'll start going crazy again!

I'm thinking about taking him to a training class; however I'm looking
for other options to help correct this behavior in the meantime. One
option I was thinking of was possibly a muzzle while around other dogs;
but I'm nervous about him not being able to defend himself (especially
at a dog park).

I greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks!

-bm

Old April 24th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 24 Apr 2006 08:01:04 -0700, "bm" , clicked their
heels and said:

While at the dog park he'll greet every dog and person he
can find; which would be fine but he nips and barks 75% of the time.

I wouldn't be taking a 4 mo old Mini Schnauzer to a dog park, but his
behavior sound perfectly normal.

I've let him play with another dog for a while and they have quiet
moments where they chase a ball around, or share a treat. But, 5
minutes later he'll start going crazy again!

He sounds like an average puppy, and a terrier puppy at that (you DO
know he's a terrier, right?).

I'm thinking about taking him to a training class; however I'm looking
for other options to help correct this behavior in the meantime. One
option I was thinking of was possibly a muzzle while around other dogs;
but I'm nervous about him not being able to defend himself (especially
at a dog park).

A muzzle is a very poor idea, especially when he's acting like a
normal puppy. Again, I wouldn't be taking a small puppy to a dog
park, especially one where he's interacting with large dogs who are
unknowns.

PUPPY CLASS, OTOH, is an exellent idea and you should have started 2
months ago......

--
Janet Boss
Old April 24th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 24 Apr 2006 08:01:04 -0700, "bm" wrote:

[]
I'm thinking about taking him to a training class; however I'm looking
for other options to help correct this behavior in the meantime.

sigh

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Climate of Fear:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

Media Hot Air on Global Warming
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=21762

Eco-Imperialism - Green Power. Black death:
http://www.eco-imperialism.com/main.php

Highly Over-Hyped: Greenland's and Antarctica's Impacts on Sea Level
http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO...9/N13/EDIT.jsp

Antarctic Ice: The Cold Truth
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=030306H

Climate of Uncertainty:
http://www.aei.org/publications/filt...pub_detail.asp

More Hot Air on Global Warming:
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor/4417_0_2_0_C/

The Oregon Project:
http://www.oism.org/pproject/

World Climate Report:
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/

Canada: Sixty scientists call on Harper to revisit the science of global warming!
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...59d605&rfp=dta