help with 5 month old golden retriever puppy

Old April 24th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default help with 5 month old golden retriever puppy

My now 5 month old golden retriever, Brody, is turning out to be
quite a challenge. We are having him professionally trained and he
is making progress in some things. He'll sit and stay whle I get his
meals ready and won't go to the dish until I tell himn "okay." He'll
stay on his bed when put there unitl we give him the "okay," and he
doesn't try to eat the furniture, crapeting, walls, etc.

He still jumps on people as they come in, pulls on the leash,
won't "give" or "drop" when told to, and, most frustrating to me is
the biting. I know he is still a young puppy and a lot of this is
typical of the hyper breed.

One thing that concerns me is that I think he may see himself as
Alpha in my relationship with him, so I have been doing different
exercies to establsih myself as the leader - making him sit as I go
through the doorways first, ignoring him when I get home and he jumps
up, eating first (I tried gesture eating from his bowl with a cracker
but felt real silly doing so - LOL).

Last night he did a couple of things really interesting. I went to
feed the bird and left im in the living room with my mom and told him
to stay on his bed so he wouldn't follow me. He stayed there the
whole time I was in the other room, even whined, but would not leave
his place, wenn when my mom gave him the okay. I was happy with
that, but other times, he won't stay the whold time I am in the other
room, so this is hit and miss right now.

Also, I usually lay on the couch to watch television in the evenings
and he will settle down (on the rug or his bed) as well. Last ngiht
I was in the reclineer, and he was walking back and forth
restlessly. Just as an experiment, I went to the couch, and sure
enough, he laid down as well. Why would he not lay down while I am in
the recliner, but lay down the second I went ot my usual spot (maybe
he wanted me in my ususal "place?").

The most fristrating thing, as mentioned above, it the play biting,
and it often follows a patern. He'll come to me with one of his toys
in his mouth (and his mouth is clamped shut). I am careful not to
play tug with him, but sometimes I will direct him and the toy away
from me. Inevitably, he will drop the toy near me and start biting
me - not viciously, but playing, but even then he gets over excited
and bites harder. Any suggestions on getting him out of this?
Everyone says he will outgrow it, but so far he hasn't. One book I
am reding did suggest limiting the number of toys available, and tach
im to give/trade toys, and if he bites, end the game and leave. Do I
take the toys with me so he'll have nothing to play with?

The funny thing is that he does this mostly with me. I used to sit
on the floor with him but haven't in a a good month or so. I train
him more than play with him, but somehow I think he still sees me as
a littermate.

Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Alfred

Old April 24th 06, 09:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 24 Apr 2006 13:15:24 -0700, "Aticineto" ,
clicked their heels and said:

My now 5 month old golden retriever, Brody, is turning out to be
quite a challenge. We are having him professionally trained and he
is making progress in some things.

Exactly what do you mean by that? Do you have a trainer coming to the
house? Did you board and train?

He still jumps on people as they come in, pulls on the leash,
won't "give" or "drop" when told to, and, most frustrating to me is
the biting. I know he is still a young puppy and a lot of this is
typical of the hyper breed.

Goldens shouldn't be hyper - they should be active - there's a
difference. If he's being professionally trained, is the trainer not
addressing these things?

One thing that concerns me is that I think he may see himself as
Alpha in my relationship with him, so I have been doing different
exercies to establsih myself as the leader - making him sit as I go
through the doorways first, ignoring him when I get home and he jumps
up, eating first (I tried gesture eating from his bowl with a cracker
but felt real silly doing so - LOL).

As you should. Stop. Think. Act normal. Get to obedience classes
where you will learn to work TOGETHER. Is it convenient for you to
walk through a doorway first? Isn't for me. We move around the house
freely and only do something if a dog decides they want to rush or
push. Crate doors, car doors, and doors to outside are different -
the dog waits for permission to enter/exit - my position is of little
consequence. Address the jumping with a redirect (go get your toy,
sit - whatever). Most Goldens are just going to try harder if merely
ignored.

Last night he did a couple of things really interesting. I went to
feed the bird and left im in the living room with my mom and told him
to stay on his bed so he wouldn't follow me. He stayed there the
whole time I was in the other room, even whined, but would not leave
his place, wenn when my mom gave him the okay. I was happy with
that, but other times, he won't stay the whold time I am in the other
room, so this is hit and miss right now.

He's 5 months old for goodness sake! Do you praise him while he's ON
his bed?

Also, I usually lay on the couch to watch television in the evenings
and he will settle down (on the rug or his bed) as well. Last ngiht
I was in the reclineer, and he was walking back and forth
restlessly. Just as an experiment, I went to the couch, and sure
enough, he laid down as well. Why would he not lay down while I am in
the recliner, but lay down the second I went ot my usual spot (maybe
he wanted me in my ususal "place?").

Dogs are creatures of habit - it's his comfort zone. Did you TELL him
to go lie down?

The most fristrating thing, as mentioned above, it the play biting,
and it often follows a patern. He'll come to me with one of his toys
in his mouth (and his mouth is clamped shut). I am careful not to
play tug with him, but sometimes I will direct him and the toy away
from me. Inevitably, he will drop the toy near me and start biting
me - not viciously, but playing, but even then he gets over excited
and bites harder. Any suggestions on getting him out of this?

Has he had some good, hard play sessions already? If not.......

A tired dog is a good dog.
--
Janet Boss
Old April 25th 06, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 24 Apr 2006 13:46:45 -0700, "Aticineto" ,
clicked their heels and said:

people come in. We will work harder on this. I do use the sit command
when he is jumping. He is an excitable pup right now.

Do you use a LEASH? Commands are only good if you can reinforce them.

Yes, we praise him wile on the bed. I am happy with the progress he is
making here.

Then stop complaining about it! ;-D

Yesterday (as well as Saturday) it rained all day so we really couldn't
get out. I ususally have him playing in the back yard and going on
walks as well.

No excuse - he's a water dog! It's essential that he get brain
exercise if not physical exercise. Use your home to do training,
teach tricks, keep him busy. He needs it. When you say "have him
playing in the back yard", are you playing WITH him?
--
Janet Boss
Old April 25th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Aticineto"
My now 5 month old golden retriever, Brody, is turning out to be
quite a challenge.

Welcome to the normal golden at age 5 months!

Are you going through the training WITH him? If not, it's much better to do
so, than have somone else train him, then train you. It's easier if you
learn together.

We are having him professionally trained and he
is making progress in some things. He'll sit and stay whle I get his
meals ready and won't go to the dish until I tell himn "okay." He'll
stay on his bed when put there unitl we give him the "okay," and he
doesn't try to eat the furniture, crapeting, walls, etc.

You've got a great little guy, if that's all okay by now!

He still jumps on people as they come in, pulls on the leash,
won't "give" or "drop" when told to, and, most frustrating to me is
the biting. I know he is still a young puppy and a lot of this is
typical of the hyper breed.

A "Golden Retriever" is NOT a 'hyper breed', not by a long shot. You'll hear
from many others, with real 'hyper breeds'. Heh.
I have a 14 yo golden retriever, who still runs all around and even will try
to jump on me when I come in, and sit down. However I *encourage* it with
him, (not for my lab gal). Now, that's a 'hyper breed' especially at 5
months. Anyone who has a Lab will gladly trade those months in with a
Golden! LOL

One thing that concerns me is that I think he may see himself as
Alpha in my relationship with him, so I have been doing different
exercies to establsih myself as the leader - making him sit as I go
through the doorways first, ignoring him when I get home and he jumps
up, eating first (I tried gesture eating from his bowl with a cracker
but felt real silly doing so - LOL).

He's not seeing you as 'alpha' anything. Seems to me your pet *loves* you
and loves to interact with you more so than anyone else in the house. trust
me, they know who is 'boss'. I don't put much into those theories, and I've
only had *pets*, not shown nor did agility, etc.
All of my dogs love me, they know who feeds them, walks them, takes the time
to *be down on the floor with them....ahem...* again!

Whenever Rudy was trying to bite, I took a toy, placed it by his face, while
getting my hand out of there, and saying "No bites", *saying*, not talking
loudly. He got started on this one at about two days after I got him, at 8
weeks old. Once he got it tho, he 'got it', for good.

So if you asked, for a few years there, when he was really young, for "No
bites", he mistakenly learned that it meant 'put a toy in your mouth and
play with me'. g

Last night he did a couple of things really interesting. I went to
feed the bird and left im in the living room with my mom and told him
to stay on his bed so he wouldn't follow me. He stayed there the
whole time I was in the other room, even whined, but would not leave
his place, wenn when my mom gave him the okay. I was happy with
that, but other times, he won't stay the whold time I am in the other
room, so this is hit and miss right now.

This is GREAT that he wouldn't 'release' for your mom, it really shows how
much he's bonded with *you*, if he'll only do it for you, he is in NO WAY
trying to show his 'alpha-ness'. He knows you're the one training with him,
taking your time with him, notice, all the 'with him's? That's the real key
to having a well rounded, well trained adult Golden who will be the center
of attention anywhere he goes....just ask My Rudy....G (I find myself
saying that as opposed to Janet's lil' Rudy. )

Also, I usually lay on the couch to watch television in the evenings
and he will settle down (on the rug or his bed) as well. Last ngiht
I was in the reclineer, and he was walking back and forth
restlessly. Just as an experiment, I went to the couch, and sure
enough, he laid down as well. Why would he not lay down while I am in
the recliner, but lay down the second I went ot my usual spot (maybe
he wanted me in my ususal "place?").

Yup, dogs LOVE repetition! They don't like their 'schedules' changed too
much. He'll get used to going to sleep if you stay in the recliner. But, for
me? I'd get on the couch anytime for/with my boy.

Hope this helps a bit, and most of all, *cherish* the time you have with
this young pup! In no time at all, Rudy got to be 14! Yikes!

All the best,
MaryBeth

Old April 25th 06, 01:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Mon, 24 Apr 2006 21:01:42 -0500, "Mary Beth"
wrote:

[]
A "Golden Retriever" is NOT a 'hyper breed', not by a long shot. You'll hear
from many others, with real 'hyper breeds'. Heh.
I have a 14 yo golden retriever, who still runs all around and even will try
to jump on me when I come in, and sit down. However I *encourage* it with
him, (not for my lab gal). Now, that's a 'hyper breed' especially at 5
months. Anyone who has a Lab will gladly trade those months in with a
Golden! LOL

IMO, there is no such thing as a "hyper" breed, and certainly not the
Labrador retriever.

There are dogs, however, who might require more exercise, both
physical and mental, and training, than others (even those of the same
breed), and when they're paired with owners who don't/won't/can't (for
whatever reason) provide that for them, problems can arise.

"Hyper" dogs are made, not born.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Climate of Fear:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

Media Hot Air on Global Warming
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=21762

Eco-Imperialism - Green Power. Black death:
http://www.eco-imperialism.com/main.php

Highly Over-Hyped: Greenland's and Antarctica's Impacts on Sea Level
http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO...9/N13/EDIT.jsp

Antarctic Ice: The Cold Truth
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=030306H

Climate of Uncertainty:
http://www.aei.org/publications/filt...pub_detail.asp

More Hot Air on Global Warming:
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor/4417_0_2_0_C/

The Oregon Project:
http://www.oism.org/pproject/

World Climate Report:
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/

Canada: Sixty scientists call on Harper to revisit the science of global warming!
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...59d605&rfp=dta

Old April 25th 06, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:03:45 -0400, Handsome Jack Morrison
, clicked their heels and said:

IMO, there is no such thing as a "hyper" breed, and certainly not the
Labrador retriever.

There are dogs, however, who might require more exercise, both
physical and mental, and training, than others (even those of the same
breed), and when they're paired with owners who don't/won't/can't (for
whatever reason) provide that for them, problems can arise.

And the reason Rudy is with me from such a young age. 2 homes who
couldn't give him what he needed. He's not hyper. He IS very, very
active and brilliant. And I just prefer my dogs with a little coat,
so I go for these "other" retrievers!

I see slugs in both Goldens and Labs, and high activity that's not
being channeled as well. I don't think I've met a sluggish FCR, but
who knows - there must be one out there!

--
Janet Boss
Old April 25th 06, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:24:05 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

[]
IMO, there is no such thing as a "hyper" breed, and certainly not the
Labrador retriever.

There are dogs, however, who might require more exercise, both
physical and mental, and training, than others (even those of the same
breed), and when they're paired with owners who don't/won't/can't (for
whatever reason) provide that for them, problems can arise.

And the reason Rudy is with me from such a young age. 2 homes who
couldn't give him what he needed. He's not hyper. He IS very, very
active and brilliant.

I think Rudy is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Old April 25th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:44:15 -0400, Handsome Jack Morrison
, clicked their heels and said:

I think Rudy is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Franklin fits the mold as well. Neither one is for an awful lot of
homes. I think they're both wonderful. They're very good at
snuggling on the couch and holding down the floor. But only because
they get a substantial amount of structure, work and exercise. Nothing
the APO couldn't do, it's just they don't WANT to.
--
Janet Boss
Old April 25th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Aticineto" wrote :
Janet B wrote:

snippage
A tired dog is a good dog.
--

Yesterday (as well as Saturday) it rained all day so we really couldn't
get out.

I've never met a dog that actually melted in the rain. And it takes a bit
more than a few days' rain to melt human flesh.