Help Pomeranian with luxating patella!

Old April 26th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Help Pomeranian with luxating patella!

Hi there-

I have a four and a half year old pomeranian who has a luxating patella
in both of her hind legs. When she was a puppy we had the problem
corrected by surgery. However, from time to time she will have
"attacks" that last for about 10 minutes. The attacks consist of her
shaking and not being able to move freely; her rear legs seem to be in
'lock' position. Her mouth is shut tight and she seems to be in pain
(her tail is also down..if we keep her in the ground to make her
walk..it appears she is having pain/problems). It usually happens when
there are changes in the temperature (when the a/c turns on in the
summers or in the winters when the heater turns off...). In the winters
we do protect her by ensuring a nice cushy sweater, but Houston summers
do not warrant the same! Please advise and diagnose this to the best of
your ability. If you need more information please feel free to email me
back at

Old April 26th 06, 08:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"brendab" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I've had a dog with a luxating patella and a dog with seizures. What you're
describing sounds more like a seizure to me than a problem with the patella.
However, 10 minutes is a long time for a seizure-- and, for me, would
warrant an immediate trip to the vet.

Depending on how extensive the patella repair was initially, it's certainly
possible for your dog to blow through it. Some surgeons prefer to do the
least amount necessary to correct the problem-- others will do more
extensive corrections. My surgeon did the least necessary and the surgery
had to be repeated (at no cost to me), but that was within the first 8
weeks. And when the problem reoccured, my dog had no other problems other
than coming up lame-- he'd just limp along on three legs until the knee cap
popped back into place and he could use that leg again. He got pretty good
at correcting the problem himself in the few days before the second surgery.
But, I'm not a vet and that's just my personal experience.

Matt (Rocky's Dad) has some great info on seizures-- far better than I could
type up from my experiences-- my dog initially had epilepsy and then later
in life develop a brain tumor.

HTH,

Peggy (Duncan and Orion)

Old April 26th 06, 11:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

She needs seen by an orthopedic vet again to have the repairs looked at.
Over time more damage can happen to the bone or even the repair. Sometimes
even after they are corrected it is possible that the repair has loosened or
the bone has deteriorated.

Barney had one of his repairs loosen up roughly 3 years after the first
surgery due to him jumping through high snow. It never go bad enough that
it required additonal surgery but the vet told me over time it might be
needed if he tore it more.

Celeste

Old April 27th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Pegster" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

Matt (Rocky's Dad) has some great info on seizures-- far
better than I could type up from my experiences-- my dog
initially had epilepsy and then later in life develop a
brain tumor.

I had thought about bringing up the possibility of a seizure
when I read the post last night, but the OP posted a follow-up
in alt.med.veterinary in which she said that the dog doesn't
fall down but whimpers in pain throughout the event.

In retrospect, it could be a focal seizure. While the 10
minutes the OP reported is a long time, until I started timing
Rocky's seizures I thought his were much longer (a guessed 3
minutes vs. a timed one minute). Another thought - the poster
might be including the post-ictal recovery time in the 10
minutes. Rocky's post-ictal after a grand mal seizure involves
blindness, which would leave many dogs scared and whimpering.
Rocky is simply confused.

Ah, I don't follow the other group. But, I later considered what you
describe above-- I, too, before timing Ginger's seizures thought they lasted
much longer than they actually did. And, I also later thought maybe the
behaviour was some sort of pain response to the luxating patellas. Our
emergency vet told us initially that there isn't pain associated with the
knee caps moving out of place, but the our regular vet and the orthopedist
said there could be pain.

If brendabhatia returns to this thread, she should look through
the top few links under my "Dog Health" link section:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Links/LinksMenu.html

Thanks for your link again-- I need to bookmark it!

Peggy

Old April 27th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Pegster" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Thanks for your link again-- I need to bookmark it!

It's always in my headers.