What to do with an angry dog?

Old April 28th 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default What to do with an angry dog?

Sometimes I have to visit places that have dogs and I always wonder
what I should do if I am confronted with a dog that wants to bite my
leg off. Any suggestions?

Mabon Dane

Old April 28th 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 28 Apr 2006 09:58:21 -0700, wrote:

Sometimes I have to visit places that have dogs

For example?

and I always wonder
what I should do if I am confronted with a dog that wants to bite my
leg off. Any suggestions?

There's no one-size-fits-all solution. It would depend on how good
you are at reading a dog's behavior (most dogs like to bluff, not
bite), what tools you would have available to help you out, what kind
of situation it was (are you in the dog's yard/home, is the dog out on
the street, is the dog's owner around, etc.), and how good you are at
avoiding these kinds of situations in the first place.

My advice is to just AVOID those situations (and the places where
they're likely to occur) whenever possible, especially if you have
limited or no experience in handling dogs, especially aggressive ones.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Climate of Fear:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

Media Hot Air on Global Warming
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=21762

Eco-Imperialism - Green Power. Black death:
http://www.eco-imperialism.com/main.php

Highly Over-Hyped: Greenland's and Antarctica's Impacts on Sea Level
http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO...9/N13/EDIT.jsp

Antarctic Ice: The Cold Truth
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=030306H

Climate of Uncertainty:
http://www.aei.org/publications/filt...pub_detail.asp

More Hot Air on Global Warming:
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor/4417_0_2_0_C/

The Oregon Project:
http://www.oism.org/pproject/

World Climate Report:
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/

Canada: Sixty scientists call on Harper to revisit the science of global warming!
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...59d605&rfp=dta

Old April 28th 06, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote

Sometimes I have to visit places that have dogs and I always wonder
what I should do if I am confronted with a dog that wants to bite my
leg off. Any suggestions?

First rule is "Don't provide surfaces on which dog bites will significantly
influence your own behavior".

Once you've resolved that rule get back to us and we'll address the others.

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com