Fleas, Brewers Yeast, Garlic

Old April 29th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Fleas, Brewers Yeast, Garlic

Who has had first hand experience with tablets containing
brewers yeast and garlic ?

Did the tablets help reduce your dog's flea problem ?

Joe

Old April 30th 06, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Papa Dog" wrote in message
Garlic can be dangerous in large doses and has killed small dogs.

.........really? Dogs, plural? How much were they given? When the dogs got
sick did they discontinue the garlic or keep feeding it?

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 1st 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Papa Dog said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Garlic can be dangerous in large doses and has killed small
dogs.

Garlic is onion-related and has similar, though unlikely lethal
effects in the amounts normally given to dogs.

FWIW, hyperbole doesn't educate.

Don't do it. It doesn't work worth a flip anyway!

As a curative for fleas, I agree with you. That some people may
view garlic as a flea-preventitive and keep upping the "dose"
when it doesn't work may be a concern.

Old May 1st 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

As a curative for fleas, I agree with you. That some people may
view garlic as a flea-preventitive and keep upping the "dose"
when it doesn't work may be a concern.

I think it's best to think of garlic as it relates to fleas like sprinkling
sage around the edges of a kitchen to keep ants out. The ants are still
there - alive - procreating, just like the fleas will be. Further, fleas can
cause issues with the humans in the house. It's better to ask your vet about
a product that will kill all stages of the fleas' life cycle.

-Sharon

Old May 1st 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Garlic is not to be used in large does in the mixture I mentioned, the
other things that are offensive to fleas is the Engevta Yeast and the
Flake yeast, some people find just using the two yeasts enough of a
flea deterrent. Powdered garlic is much easier to use in about one
teaspoon to two cups of the yeast mixture. It does not take much and
that is not logical that there is a temptation to use more as it is not
addicting, and as I mentioned it is not the garlic alone that works it
is the mixture of the yeasts along with it.
The smell of the yeasts is not appealing to fleas. Another method that
works for many people is to take a teaspoon of the mixture for a severe
case and rub it into the dog's fur, for as I said the fleas do not like
the smell, and then after that feed it to the dog sprinkled on it's
food twice a day.
What would a vet know except something that would be self serving to
sell, yeast and garlic do not line their pockets.
Show Dog

Old May 1st 06, 01:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

What would a vet know except something that would be self serving to
sell, yeast and garlic do not line their pockets.
Show Dog

Considering the number of scripts we hand out so folks can buy their flea
preventive at PetMed, there's no pocket lining there. Pharmacy is one of the
two lowest profit margins in vet med. Nobody is living a king's life from
the result of products recommended. You'd be surprised the homemade recipes
we recommend.

Killing the stages of the flea prevents the flea from biting the dog,
prevents procreation, prevents flea allergy and tapeworm (which can be
transferred to humans). Got kids or do they visit your dog? From the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...htm#how_spread

Self serving, my ass. Ask someone with a dog who deals with flea allergy how
much a Frontline product cost versus months of exams, testing, steroids not
to mention the agony the dog experiences.

Old May 1st 06, 02:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Mon, 1 May 2006 08:39:57 -0400, "Sharon"
wrote:

What would a vet know except something that would be self serving to
sell, yeast and garlic do not line their pockets.
Show Dog

Considering the number of scripts we hand out so folks can buy their flea
preventive at PetMed, there's no pocket lining there. Pharmacy is one of the
two lowest profit margins in vet med. Nobody is living a king's life from
the result of products recommended. You'd be surprised the homemade recipes
we recommend.

What flea preventatives are you handing out prescriptions for? Is it
the heartworm/flea preventative combos? I've seen Program, Advantage,
Advantix, Frontline and Frontline Plus in catalogs, no prescription
required, for some time now.

One of my own favorites is nematodes on the lawn. They'll take care
of other pests too, such as grubs.

Mustang Sally

Old May 1st 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Considering the number of scripts we hand out so folks can buy their
flea
preventive at PetMed, there's no pocket lining there. Pharmacy is one
of the
two lowest profit margins in vet med. Nobody is living a king's life
from
the result of products recommended. You'd be surprised the homemade
recipes
we recommend.
Killing the stages of the flea prevents the flea from biting the dog,
prevents procreation, prevents flea allergy and tapeworm (which can be
transferred to humans). Got kids or do they visit your dog? From the
CDC: "

Pharmacy in Veterinary practice and in stores is a multi billion dollar
business.
Also without trying alternatives it is argumentative to postulate that
it will not work to use yeast and garlic.
Show Dog Bark

Old May 1st 06, 06:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Pharmacy in Veterinary practice and in stores is a multi billion dollar
business.

Do your homework in regards to profit centers in animal hospitals. I sure
wish I had those dollars you imply is there.

Also without trying alternatives it is argumentative to postulate that
it will not work to use yeast and garlic.

Argumentative is when someone ignores the facts that garlic may repel fleas
but does *not kill them, their eggs and/or make them unable to multiply*. If
all you're trying to do is repel the fleas, then have at it.