Advice neededwith my labrador

Old May 1st 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Advice neededwith my labrador

I have a 2 year old labrador, he is a lovely dog but has a few
behavioural issues that are causing me distress.

1. When out walking he pulls on the lead almost pulling me over, no
matter what we seem to do he digs in his heels harder. His tongue even
starts to turn blue and still pulls. I bought a Halti, which reduces
the strain, but I feel this isnt the answer, merely a way of coping
with the symptom.

2. He also barks at me when she wont give him what he wants, and
sometimes seems to "challenge" my authority. I dont back down to him
but this battle goes on for a while. It ends up scaring me as he gets
quite agressive.

3. I work during the day and return home at lunch time to let him out,
but he often has damaged something when I return. he has LOADS of toys,
chews and bones that he is left with everytime. I even go as far as
leaving him the TV on when I am out tuned to Animal Planet! (oh or
sometimes Jeremy Kyle lol).

I love my dog very much but these issues are causing me to despair, any
help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Old May 2nd 06, 12:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

The best thing is to take him to a professional trainer in your area.
I was lucky with my lab and she learned really fast. We use an
e-collar when we walk around the neighborhood and a prong collar for
long walks. SHe was a HORRIBLE leash walker but now it is great and I
look forward to taking her out. The problem with regular collars is
that they can choke and even collapse the dogs throat, so be careful on
how much you let him pull. I hope this helps.

Old May 2nd 06, 01:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Dorothy wrote:
The best thing is to take him to a professional trainer in your area.
I was lucky with my lab and she learned really fast. We use an
e-collar when we walk around the neighborhood and a prong collar for
long walks. SHe was a HORRIBLE leash walker but now it is great and I
look forward to taking her out. The problem with regular collars is
that they can choke and even collapse the dogs throat, so be careful on
how much you let him pull. I hope this helps.

Prong collar seconded. They work great, and they don't choke, they just
make strong pulling uncomfortable. Now the only time he pulls hard is
when a rabbit runs close by. :-)

-Arccos

Old May 2nd 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 2 May 2006 05:57:34 -0700, "arccos" wrote:

Dorothy wrote:
The best thing is to take him to a professional trainer in your area.
I was lucky with my lab and she learned really fast. We use an
e-collar when we walk around the neighborhood and a prong collar for
long walks. SHe was a HORRIBLE leash walker but now it is great and I
look forward to taking her out. The problem with regular collars is
that they can choke and even collapse the dogs throat, so be careful on
how much you let him pull. I hope this helps.

Prong collar seconded. They work great, and they don't choke, they just
make strong pulling uncomfortable. Now the only time he pulls hard is
when a rabbit runs close by. :-)

Unfortunately, the both of you appear to only be using the collar
(e-collar, prong) to CONTROL the dog rather than to TRAIN it.

Unless you both are physically unable to TRAIN your dogs, you both
should learn how to TRAIN them (yes, using those same collars), so
that eventually you won't have to use them (or any collar at all, for
that matter) when you take your dogs for a walk.

Of course, the law usually requires dogs to be on a leash when being
walked, but once your dog is TRAINED to walk on a loose leash, the
only collar you'll need to take your dog for a walk is a buckled
collar (the one you normally keep your dog's ID, rabies, etc. tags
on).

If neither of you knows how to TRAIN your dog, either an OBEDIENCE
class or a professional TRAINER can show you how.

And your vet can usually point you to a good one.

Good luck!

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

The Reality of Global Warming:
http://jameshudnall.com/blog.php?/we...lobal_warming/

Climate of Fear:
http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=110008220

Media Hot Air on Global Warming
http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=21762

Eco-Imperialism - Green Power. Black death:
http://www.eco-imperialism.com/main.php

Highly Over-Hyped: Greenland's and Antarctica's Impacts on Sea Level
http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO...9/N13/EDIT.jsp

Antarctic Ice: The Cold Truth
http://www.tcsdaily.com/article.aspx?id=030306H

Climate of Uncertainty:
http://www.aei.org/publications/filt...pub_detail.asp

More Hot Air on Global Warming:
http://www.aim.org/media_monitor/4417_0_2_0_C/

The Oregon Project:
http://www.oism.org/pproject/

World Climate Report:
http://www.worldclimatereport.com/

Canada: Sixty scientists call on Harper to revisit the science of global warming!
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/f...59d605&rfp=dta

Old May 3rd 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Or a squirell

Old May 3rd 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Sorry Jack but both collars are for training. If you really read my
post, she has been trained and WAS a horrible leash walker. Now it is
a pleasure walking her.

Old May 3rd 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Old May 3rd 06, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 3 May 2006 07:47:55 -0700, "Dorothy"
wrote:

Sorry Jack but both collars are for training. If you really read my
post, she has been trained and WAS a horrible leash walker. Now it is
a pleasure walking her.

But can she be (pleasurably) walked with a simple buckled collar, or
with no collar at all?

If not, she ain't TRAINED.

There's no reason for you to keep using the prong or the e-collar if
she's TRAINED.

You're probably still CONTROLLING her, but don't want to admit it.

But...it is your dog.

So good luck anyway!

Old May 3rd 06, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Dorothy wrote:
[...]

A little help here, Handsome Jack. We have the same pulling problem
with our Lab/Golden mix - particularly with squirrels or people she
knows along the walk.

We use a buckle collar (or gentle leader) with fair results. Nugget
is 2 years old and we have had her in 4 - 8 week group classes and 5
individual dog behaviorist visits since she was 3 months old. We walk
her daily and, admittedly, the more often, the less of a problem we
have. She has pulled the trainer to their knees.

What techniques do you use that work for you?

The greatest part of this board is others willing to share what works
- not just "get thee to a trainer".

Thanks!

Don S

Old May 3rd 06, 11:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 03 May 2006 22:03:55 GMT, Don S ,
clicked their heels and said:

What techniques do you use that work for you?

The greatest part of this board is others willing to share what works
- not just "get thee to a trainer".

Longe line work. Hands down.

--
Janet Boss