Fitting of Muzzles

Old May 3rd 06, 07:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Fitting of Muzzles

Hi all

I've recently made the decision to have my beautiful boy wear a muzzle when
we go out. I'm still not convinced it's absolutely necessary, but I guess
it's better to be safe than sorry.

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on the correct fitting of & correct
size of muzzle for the dog. I bought a plastic brown cage muzzle today & it
seems to be a reasonably tight fit, but not too tight. Triton's muzzle is
40mm long from the space between his eyes to the top of his nose. The muzzle
allows me to fit one finger in at the top & two on either there is very
little room between his nose & the muzzle at the front. The muzzle moves
around a little but I don't believe he could pull it off if he tried.

there were metal muzzles available with padding around the areas where they
might rub but they looked like they were made for dogs with shorter muzzles
than my boy has (he's a kelpie/New Zealand Huntaway X).