White GSD

Old May 3rd 06, 06:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default White GSD

Hi I'm from Australia and i would love to know how the US view the
white german shepherd, I have spoken with alot of German judges over
here asking their views on them and knowing ours i would love to find
out if typical US breeders view the white shepherd as a inbred vermon
the same as Germany. To look at there not that pretty no shape and very
square do you see it as the same thing or are Australia and Germany
still set in the old ways Show rings in Australia do not allow the
showing of the white shepherd is it the same there too ???

Old May 3rd 06, 06:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

"Carmel (Aussie GSD lover)" composed these thoughts
and posted them oups.com:

Hi I'm from Australia and i would love to know how the US view the
white german shepherd, I have spoken with alot of German judges over
here asking their views on them and knowing ours i would love to find
out if typical US breeders view the white shepherd as a inbred vermon
the same as Germany. To look at there not that pretty no shape and very
square do you see it as the same thing or are Australia and Germany
still set in the old ways Show rings in Australia do not allow the
showing of the white shepherd is it the same there too ???

It is a disqualification in the breed and responsible breeders just don't.

UKC has recognized the white shepherd as a separate breed and can be shown
within that venu. AKC allows white shepherds in performance events ONLY but
excludes it from the breed ring. AKC will never allow white shepherds to be
recognized as a separate breed (or blues either, for that matter)
Old May 3rd 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

diddy wrote:
"Carmel (Aussie GSD lover)" composed these thoughts
and posted them oups.com:

Hi I'm from Australia and i would love to know how the US view the
white german shepherd, I have spoken with alot of German judges over
here asking their views on them and knowing ours i would love to find
out if typical US breeders view the white shepherd as a inbred vermon
the same as Germany.

It is a disqualification in the breed and responsible breeders just don't.

Well....

UKC has recognized the white shepherd as a separate breed and can be shown
within that venu. AKC allows white shepherds in performance events ONLY but
excludes it from the breed ring. AKC will never allow white shepherds to be
recognized as a separate breed (or blues either, for that matter)

Right. Some white GSD breeders have worked very hard. And frankly though
I'm against color breeding and generally agree with your first
statement, some of the White Shepherds I've seen are a lot better
structurally than many of the others, especially the American Show Shepherd.

You are certainly correct though that they will not be seen in the AKC
breed ring, but to be clear to the OP, the AKC doesn't decide that, the
breed club does, in this case the German Shepherd Dog Club of America.
Old May 9th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Thankyou so much on your replys I'm very greatfull. In Australia The
White GSD is not allowed to be shown anywhere there are some breeders
that try and pass them off a swiss shepherds or something else when
trying to sell them and claim they are better then the GSD no HD in
there lines a so forth but other then that there are not many around
now i think people have worked it out that there not shown for a reason
:S

Old May 13th 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

One bright night in the middle of the day on 9 May 2006
10:22:43 -0700, in rec.pets.dogs.breeds "Carmel (Aussie GSD
lover)" wrote:

White GSD is not allowed to be shown anywhere there are some breeders
that try and pass them off a swiss shepherds or something else

The white GSD has been recognized by FCI. And yes... the
proper breed name is Berger Blanc Suisse (White Swiss
Shepherd). Switzerland is the designated country of origin for
the breed.

claim they are better then the GSD

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
*Some* people may do that. The BBS club in Australia does NOT.

no HD in there lines a so forth

Well... That's a lie. And most dog people who know anything
about anything also KNOW that it's a lie. *ALL* dogs -- be
they purebred or mixed -- carry a certain number of genetic
faults that they are capable of passing on to the next
generation if they meet up with like genes in a breeding
partner. No breed or mix is totally immune from getting hip
dysplasia. I know. I once owned a wonderful mix with no hop
sockets! It has been found in wild canids... and even in
people. Hip dysplasia is a polygenic trait and, as such, it is
hard (maybe impossible?) to totally eliminate it from a gene
pool. That's why people test and breed only from x-rayed clear
stock. You're trying to stack the genetic deck in favor of
good hips. Unfortunately, it doesn't always work out and
dysplasia may crop up even from 2 OFA Excellent dogs. Such is
the nature of polygenic traits.

If you want to know more about the White Shepherd, why not ask
actual WS people? I mean the ones who are in the know (club
members) and actively working toward the betterment of the
breed. There's a good club with good people in Australia. I'm
sure those folks would be happy to answer any questions you
might have. Meantime, here are a few links to some good,
informative sites. Why not go and learn something? You might
be surprised.

http://www.wsgenetics.org/ (WS Genetics Project)
http://www.awsaclub.com (AWSA)
http://home.iprimus.com.au/whiteshepherdau/ (WSSDCA)
http://www.whiteshepherd.info/ (WSS Information Page)
http://www.berger-blanc-international.com/english/ (BBS Int.)

Hope this is helpful. Happy researching...
*~ *~ *~
Karen C.
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account! So there...

"You have no power here!
...Be gone! Before somebody drops a house on you too!"
Old May 15th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

One bright night in the middle of the day on Sun, 14 May 2006
06:01:25 +0000 (UTC), in rec.pets.dogs.breeds Liisa Sarakontu
wrote:

It is easy to see that White Shepherds have an average
better hips than GSDs, but hip dysplasia isn't unknown
in that breed.

Wow Liisa. That's a neat statistic. I'm really glad to hear
the WS folk there are taking genetics and testing seriously!
It does my heart good to hear of ANY breed club trying to
better their breeds and create healthier dogs.

(If you want to check other breeds in Finland, just go to
http://jalostus.kennelliitto.fi/ and choose "In English"
from top right. All the statistics are totally public.)

I'm going to pass that site URL on to the WS Genetics Project.
I think all such information that can add to the base of
knowledge is great and can only help the dogs even more!
Thanks!!

*~ *~ *~