Stylish yet dogproof kitchen trash cans?

Old May 4th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Stylish yet dogproof kitchen trash cans?

First off, I am not a fan of stainless steel, so I am having a hard time
wanting to spend $100 for a trash can I don't like. Oh, you might think,
how much does a person have to like their trash can? But I have a policy
about not bringing anything into the house that isn't beautiful to me. My
current trash can is beautiful to me and Queenie also finds it quite
appealing, as it's the kind that swings open, making access quite easy.
Many days I remember to put it up on the counter before I leave the house,
but the days that I don't remember seem to be the days when things are
particularly rough out in the world and I am especially NOT in the mood to
pick up garbage when I get home.

So I must have one with a secure lid and I am wondering what others with
garbagemongering pups have gone with... don't be afraid to say stainless
steel, as if that's the reality I need to face, then I will eventually face
it...

Thanks for any input!

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old May 4th 06, 06:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

So I must have one with a secure lid and I am wondering
what others with garbagemongering pups have gone with...
don't be afraid to say stainless steel, as if that's the
reality I need to face, then I will eventually face it...

FWIW, dogs are garbagemongerers at heart. To that end, my
garbage enclosure is behind a non-stainless steel cabinet door.

Old May 4th 06, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
ceb wrote:
So I must have one with a secure lid and I am wondering what others with
garbagemongering pups have gone with... don't be afraid to say stainless
steel, as if that's the reality I need to face, then I will eventually face
it...

I'm a big fan of step-on openers. Puppy Emmett figured out
that if he can hit the pedal with both feet (similar to the
way he punches through snow to get at moles) the lid flips
up, but he still can't get into the trash because it closes
as soon as he lets go. So, it's a game but the trash is
still safe.

I've currently got a stainless steel one (that I *certainly*
did not pay $100 for!), but in the past I've been able to
find ones with bright enamel paint jobs. Sort of like this,
but a bit more stylish:
http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...n=B0007SM V8Y

I like plastic way less than stainless steel, but there are
certainly plenty of plastic options if you don't mind the
stuff.

Old May 4th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I put energy into my trash. I have a trash compactor. Came with the
house. Thought I'd hate it, don't know how I'd live without it (not
really, but I *DO* like it an awful lot!). No dog can get into it (it
locks, but that's never been necessary).

--
Janet Boss
Old May 4th 06, 07:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Rocky wrote in
:

FWIW, dogs are garbagemongerers at heart. To that end, my
garbage enclosure is behind a non-stainless steel cabinet door.

Alas, I lack the cabinet space. I realize that you are the wrong person to
complain about this to.

Old May 4th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet B wrote in
news
I put energy into my trash. I have a trash compactor. Came with the
house. Thought I'd hate it, don't know how I'd live without it (not
really, but I *DO* like it an awful lot!). No dog can get into it (it
locks, but that's never been necessary).

Those things are great -- one of my friends has one.

Old May 4th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"ceb" wrote in message
. ..

So I must have one with a secure lid and I am wondering what others with
garbagemongering pups have gone with... don't be afraid to say stainless
steel, as if that's the reality I need to face, then I will eventually
face
it...

Thanks for any input!

I'd recommend finding a trash can you like (without a swinging door) and
buying color-matched, wide strip, velcro.

I've always had dual problems with lids whereby the Boxers would lift/move
the lid and when that wasn't good enough they'd knock the entire canister
over so the whole top popped off.

I think Pebbles put Fancy up to the whole knocking over thing because then
she got to partake of the goodies.

One of my pups is currently fascinated by the trashcan and is getting worse
with each passing day. She goes straight for the knock over & pop the top
off technique. Industrial velcro is on my list of things to buy.

--
Tara

Old May 4th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"scfundogs" wrote in news:4bv0bgF13i4nkU1
@individual.net:

I'd recommend finding a trash can you like (without a swinging door) and
buying color-matched, wide strip, velcro.

That's a great idea! Have you tried it yet, though? I hear those boxers are
diabolically clever...

Old May 4th 06, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet B wrote:
I put energy into my trash. I have a trash compactor. Came with the
house. Thought I'd hate it, don't know how I'd live without it (not
really, but I *DO* like it an awful lot!). No dog can get into it (it
locks, but that's never been necessary).

We had a compactor in our prior house. They are great, but not
for wet garbage, which gets smelly if it takes more than a day to
fill the compactor. Most of the wet can go down the garbage
disposal, but things like chicken skin and larger bones don't do
so well there. And these are what the dogs just LOVE to haul out
of the trash.

FurPaw

--
"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent."
Isaac Asimov, _Foundation_

To reply, unleash the dog