Dog lifespans

Old March 25th 04, 03:11 PM
Bill Schowengerdt

Default Dog lifespans

Hi,

We all know that dogs have been bred for many characteristics. Have they
ever been bred for longevity?

What breeds live longest?
--
Bill

Please God, delete G Bush. NOW.
Old March 25th 04, 05:04 PM
ZPL

I think the bred that is known to generally live the longest is the
Sckipperke (sp?). A small dog from way north Europe.

But, (Australian) heelers are long lived. They are a med sized cow dog.

In the larger breeds, a dog called a South African Boerboel seems to be
doing well with longevity. Rumors of healthy dogs 15-20 years old. It is a
rarer molosser (mastiff) dog, which means to me that "breeders" have not had
a chance to screw it up yet.

news

Old March 26th 04, 01:39 AM
Rosa Palmén

"ZPL" wrote in message news:XgE8c.262$mf.242@okepread05...
I think the bred that is known to generally live the longest is the
Sckipperke (sp?). A small dog from way north Europe.

Schipperke is a belgian breed, not from way north Europe.

But, (Australian) heelers are long lived. They are a med sized cow dog.

In the larger breeds, a dog called a South African Boerboel seems to be
doing well with longevity. Rumors of healthy dogs 15-20 years old. It is

rarer molosser (mastiff) dog, which means to me that "breeders" have not

had
a chance to screw it up yet.

"Bill Schowengerdt" wrote in message
news
Hi,

We all know that dogs have been bred for many characteristics. Have they
ever been bred for longevity?

What breeds live longest?
--
Bill

Please God, delete G Bush. NOW.

I've heard of a couple of old dachshunds, up to 18-19.
I doubt anyone has ever bred for longevity since it wouldn't have been easy.
IF you could find information of the lifespan of most dogs easily - then it
would be easier to breed for it too. So maybe now that more and more
information is gathered some one will try to do it, but it would still not
be very easy - not every petowner gives out information on when their dog
died, it's mostly just the people breeding or interested in the breed that
do this.

Rosa

Old March 26th 04, 02:31 AM
ZPL

Schipperke is a belgian breed, not from way north Europe

Actually, I had thought it was a Norwegian breed. Either way, Belgium and
Norway are "way far north" from where I sit.

Old March 26th 04, 03:16 AM
culprit

"Bill Schowengerdt" wrote in message
news
Hi,

We all know that dogs have been bred for many characteristics. Have they
ever been bred for longevity?

What breeds live longest?
--

i think as a rule of thumb, small dogs tend to live longer than large dogs.

that said, i sometimes hear tales of 20 year old border collies.

-kelly

Old March 26th 04, 08:10 AM
Severus Est

"ZPL" wrote in message news:sCM8c.1287$mf.64@okepread05...
Schipperke is a belgian breed, not from way north Europe

Actually, I had thought it was a Norwegian breed. Either way, Belgium and
Norway are "way far north" from where I sit.

Schipperke is Dutch (with a Flemish touch, as the Dutch would say
schipper-tje instead ok -ke. -tje & -ke being a diminutive.), which is
the official language of FLanders (Belgium), so yes, it's a Belgian
breed.

It means skipper.
Old March 26th 04, 04:22 PM
Gwen Watson

culprit wrote:

"Bill Schowengerdt" wrote in message
news

Hi,

We all know that dogs have been bred for many characteristics. Have they
ever been bred for longevity?

What breeds live longest?
--

i think as a rule of thumb, small dogs tend to live longer than large dogs.

that said, i sometimes hear tales of 20 year old border collies.

-kelly

LynnK has a nearly 19 year old Dobe mix I believe it is a dobe mix?
Pretty amazing.

But I would think like humans some rare few live to be 104 but on average
people today live to be 85 maybe?

Gwen