urinary leaking

Old May 9th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default urinary leaking

Rudy has a vet appointment tomorrow afternoon, but I thought I'd throw
this out here anyway.

Rudy has excitement urination sometimes - if I spend too long before
coming into the house, he may flood his crate. This is generally only
if I've been gone over 4 hours. He does not have water in his crate.

Rudy sleeps through the night (10-6 or 7) and never has an issue with
leaking then. He is housebroken and waits until I let him out.

A few times over the last month, after I've been gone a bit over 5
hours, I've come home, let him out where he pees up a storm, then he
is fed, out again, maybe multiple times (for play, etc) and eliminates
normally. Then he naps. When he's sleeping, he leaks.
Baseball-Softball sized puddle generally. Yesterday, I as home with
him all day, gone for 2 hours in the early evening, and late in the
evening, right before bed, he leaked again while sleeping.

This doesn't strike me as an infection or even a sphincter issue, but
it has me puzzled. He has no idea he's doing it and it doesn't wake
him.

Any thoughts?
--
Janet Boss
Old May 9th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Janet B" wrote in message
snip

This doesn't strike me as an infection or even a sphincter issue, but
it has me puzzled. He has no idea he's doing it and it doesn't wake
him.

Any thoughts?
--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

Janet,
I'd ask for a kidney panel. Not saying this is your issue, but when we
diagnosed Jadee with kidney problems, one of the things that she was doing
was urinating in her sleep - like she didn't know it. She, too, would sleep
right through it. Again, not saying this is your case, but it might rule
something out. Granted, she was also throwing up quite a bit, especially
when eating things that were too high in protein and drinking a huge amount
of water.

Sue and Atty

Old May 10th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 09 May 2006 15:23:53 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

[...]

One of my Greyhounds (now deceased) had some problems with urinary
leakage while sleeping. It was years ago, he was maybe 4 years old,
urinalysis and blood work were normal, and the vet really had no
explanation for it except that it might be a sphincter problem. We
put him on PPA (now Proin) with good results, and after a while I
started gradually weaning him off. The leakage stopped completely and
never recurred.

This little story isn't much help to you, except to let you know that
Rudy's problem might also be something that isn't serious, is easily
treated, and that eventually disappears.

Mustang Sally

Old May 10th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Janet B" wrote in message:

This doesn't strike me as an infection or even a sphincter issue, but
it has me puzzled. He has no idea he's doing it and it doesn't wake
him.

Someone I know had a RR with the same issue (he also squatted to pee and
peed on his front legs, but I digress). He got better on DES, which is
bizarre, considering that he is a boy dog, and was being treated with
Estrogen. IIRC, they ran a bunch of tests to rule out liver and kidney
problems, stones, bladder malformation, neurological issues, etc.

Suja

Old May 10th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Tue, 09 May 2006 20:52:56 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
, clicked their heels and said:

One of my Greyhounds (now deceased) had some problems with urinary
leakage while sleeping. It was years ago, he was maybe 4 years old,
urinalysis and blood work were normal, and the vet really had no
explanation for it except that it might be a sphincter problem. We
put him on PPA (now Proin) with good results, and after a while I
started gradually weaning him off. The leakage stopped completely and
never recurred.

This little story isn't much help to you, except to let you know that
Rudy's problem might also be something that isn't serious, is easily
treated, and that eventually disappears.

Thanks! We saw the vet today (they were impressed that I brought a
urine sample - had Rudy pee directly into a small Perrier bottle!).
We're trying the Proin route, and hoping for the best. We have a
stage #2 plan of attack if it doesn't work. While waiting for the
urinalysis, it dawned on me that this has only happened when he's
sleeping flat on the floor. It has never happened with him curled up
on the sofa (good thing! ;-D). That MAY be an indicator of a bladder
with an extra "stage" to it, that holds urine in reserve. We'll do
x-rays if the PPA doesn't do the trick. Meanwhile, we went on our
way home from field training, so it was a good day all the way around.
Rudy has become quite the retriever and is swimming some longer
distances now, always bringing back his bumper. He was trying to show
a Chessie bitch how to do it, but she won't take the bumper. Guess
she didn't see the "Retriever" part of her name!

--
Janet Boss
Old May 11th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Wed, 10 May 2006 17:27:54 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

[...]

See, you have to keep Rudy. He's a special needs dog!

Mustang Sally

Old May 11th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"Janet B" wrote in message
We'll do
x-rays if the PPA doesn't do the trick. Meanwhile, we went on our
way home from field training, so it was a good day all the way around.
Rudy has become quite the retriever and is swimming some longer
distances now

............not likely, but something to keep at the bottom of the list of
possibles since your dog is doing a lot of water retrieving - Lepto.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 13th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Thu, 11 May 2006 18:19:49 GMT, "buglady"
, clicked their heels and said:

...........not likely, but something to keep at the bottom of the list of
possibles since your dog is doing a lot of water retrieving - Lepto.

Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. He was incredibly over vaccinated when
he came to me (he had shots every change of owner/location - puppy
mill, pet shop #1 owner, shelter, #2 owner, shelter). I think I
counted 9 DHLPP and he's had 2 RV.

--
Janet Boss