My dog said to have bone cancer in skull

Old March 26th 04, 02:45 PM
curt

Default My dog said to have bone cancer in skull

Hi all,

I was on some other newsgroups and so on and saw this one. My dog Raleigh
has a lump on his head and I took him to the vet. She told me he has bone
cancer in his skull and has only months to live. He is an 8 year old lab.
I was shocked to say the least and am sick about it.

I had a visit to an oncologist for a second opinion and he did blood work,
x-rays and took a biopsy. The x-rays were of Raleigh's lungs and his lungs
are free of cancer. The biopsy results won't be in until Monday or Tuesday,
so I have a long wait. I was told that it is either cancer (most likely) or
bone fungus. I know bone cancer is terminal and I think, but not sure bone
fungus is as well. Right now Raleigh is fine and is acting like his normal
self, but I am so worried.

I guess I am looking for any information about this. I have found some
people that have had dogs with bone cancer of the skull and they have been
of help and I am looking for more. I most likely will have some big
decisions to make at some point.

Anyone know about bone fungus? That would be rare being that I live in
Pittsburgh, but I should know something just incase I need to act quickly.

Thanks for any help,
Curt and Raleigh

Old March 26th 04, 02:58 PM
Pat

"curt" wrote in message
[...]

Please may I ask where the lump is.?
Can I also ask why you visited the vet for this.
Was the dog ill.
Pat.

Old March 26th 04, 04:54 PM
Spot

Even if the dog wasn't ill any new lumps should be checked out by a vet. I
always take Barney if when I find new grows. Mostly they turn out to be
fatty tissue but on two occasions they were mast cell cancer. Luckily the
last one I caught early enough that it hadn't spread but the rate it was
growing it would have. It went from the size of a grape to golf ball size
in less than a week.

Celeste

Old March 26th 04, 06:55 PM
curt

Please may I ask where the lump is.?
Can I also ask why you visited the vet for this.
Was the dog ill.
Pat.

The lump is on his brow right above his right eye and over towards the
middle a little. The bump is hard.

Raleigh was not ill. I just noticed this lump and figured I would get it
checked by the vet. That is when I got this shocking news that my baby has
months to live. I am glad I went to the oncologist however. This stuff is
so expensive, but this is my best friend and I don't care. As long as he
isn't suffering he will be by my side.

Curt

Old March 27th 04, 02:15 PM
Pat

"curt" wrote in message
Please may I ask where the lump is.?
Can I also ask why you visited the vet for this.
Was the dog ill.
Pat.

The lump is on his brow right above his right eye and over towards the
middle a little. The bump is hard.

Raleigh was not ill. I just noticed this lump and figured I would get it
checked by the vet. That is when I got this shocking news that my baby

has
months to live. I am glad I went to the oncologist however. This stuff

is
so expensive, but this is my best friend and I don't care. As long as he
isn't suffering he will be by my side.

Curt

Hi,
Thanks for telling me I had just wondered where it was.
It is so sad and right now I feel for you .
My Labrador is four...I know how I would feel.
You are very wise saying as long as he is not suffering,
he will stay with you.
Raleigh is very lucky to be loved so much by you.
Good luck.
Please keep us informed.
Pat.

Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 04:38 AM
my greyhound has bone cancer Bill Kraus Dog health 0 October 26th 03 03:05 AM
my greyhound has bone cancer Bill Kraus Dog health 0 October 26th 03 03:05 AM