Who Would Win This Fight?

Old May 15th 06, 02:20 PM posted to alt.pets.dogs.pitbull,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Who Would Win This Fight?

Pit bull vs. African hyena
Old May 15th 06, 02:36 PM posted to alt.pets.dogs.pitbull,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Way Back Jack wrote:
Pit bull vs. African hyena

The bookie, I'm guessing.

Old May 15th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.pets.dogs.pitbull,rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Way Back Jack wrote:
Pit bull vs. African hyena

Well, a ridgeback killed a hyena, according to a reliable-seeming
anecdote from Rhodesia that I read in the 1950's. The author, or
relayer of the incident, went on to say that a dog was extremely
unlikely to get a hyena by itself and it was the presence of onlookers,
driving off other hyenas, that made it possible. Oh, and it was a
spotted hyena, not one of the off brands. The moron who set his
wolfhound cross on a cheetah (it caught and killed the cheetah and they
were already quite rare) seems never to have thought about sending it
after hyenas. Which was probably just as well for the dog as it would
almost certainly have been mobbed.

This was all in a book that must have been old when I saw it as a kid
in 1958 or so.

I don't know what this says about hyena versus pit bull. Pits were used
for big game in this country and it used to be said "four for a
panther, eight for a bear" However, I knew one pit enthusiast who
admitted "there is no way four dogs would be able to keep a couger from
escaping."

Will in New Haven