Getting a dog to play with toys

Old May 15th 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Getting a dog to play with toys

Hey all,

while this seems like a simple question, I'm a bit stumped. We adopted
an approx. 1 yr old Whippet/Rat Terrier mix from a pound about 3 weeks
ago and things are going pretty well except for two things. She is a
bit shy and tends to hide when new people are around although she does
become adventurous after an hour or so and begins to warily
socialize... we can work on that, but my toughest challenge has been
getting her to play with toys.

She will chew a squeaky toy every now and then in the morning by
herself, and she will lick the peanut butter out of a Kong for a bit,
and things like that on her own... but she will not chase a ball or go
after a toy when thrown, instead she will come to you and rather be
petted or just content to lie down by you. How can I get her to play
with toys with us? It seems like a strange problem, but I'm at a loss
to get her interested in fetching a ball or chasing a toy I've tossed.

Thanks!

Old May 15th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 15 May 2006 08:56:55 -0700 whittled these words:
Hey all,

while this seems like a simple question, I'm a bit stumped. We adopted
an approx. 1 yr old Whippet/Rat Terrier mix from a pound about 3 weeks
ago and things are going pretty well except for two things. She is a
bit shy and tends to hide when new people are around although she does
become adventurous after an hour or so and begins to warily
socialize... we can work on that, but my toughest challenge has been
getting her to play with toys.

Is this important to you, or to her?

She will chew a squeaky toy every now and then in the morning by
herself, and she will lick the peanut butter out of a Kong for a bit,
and things like that on her own... but she will not chase a ball or go
after a toy when thrown, instead she will come to you and rather be
petted or just content to lie down by you. How can I get her to play
with toys with us? It seems like a strange problem, but I'm at a loss
to get her interested in fetching a ball or chasing a toy I've tossed.

Let her be who she is. Let her settle in, and get comfortable. When she
is comfortable she may or may not ever be interested in toys. Whippets
are pretty well known for completely losing interest in toys that aren't
actually moving - when the ball lands it is of no interest. Some figure
out early on that when that moving thing lands it will be boring and they
aren't even interested in thrown toys. Don't expect her to love to
"fetch" - she might or might not ever develop an interest in it.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old May 16th 06, 12:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

She sounds a sweetheart. She needs more time to settle and gain
confidence. Do you know anything of her past?
Let her approach visitors in her own time, tell them to ignore her when
they first come in. They can offer her a treat if she approaches them but
not to maintain eye contact.
She might not have learnt to play or be interested in playing. But more
likely she is too unsure and not relaxed enough to play yet. She might
prefer soft toys.
Alison

Old May 16th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Alison wrote:
She sounds a sweetheart. She needs more time to settle and gain
confidence. Do you know anything of her past?
Let her approach visitors in her own time, tell them to ignore her when
they first come in. They can offer her a treat if she approaches them but
not to maintain eye contact.
She might not have learnt to play or be interested in playing. But more
likely she is too unsure and not relaxed enough to play yet. She might
prefer soft toys.
Alison

Thanks all, I know there will be a learning curve and a long time for
her to settle in but it seems to me like she is restless and doesn't
know what to do when she is not being petted 100% of the time. I don't
want to pet her for hours on end and I just felt like if she learned to
occupy herself from time to time with a toy she would be happier... I
could be totally wrong.

Do I just let her be restless and find her own favorite thing to do
over time? I just would like to interact with her more than simply
petting for 2 hours. I'm fine if she is not a ball chaser or frisbee
catcher, it just seems like I should be offering her some sort of other
stimulation. She does get into bones (nylabones, Booda, Rawhide, denta,
etc.) and she will shred a stuffed animal on her own, but she just
doesn't seem to understand how to play with us with a toy.

Thanks

Old May 16th 06, 03:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 16 May 2006 06:53:54 -0700, wrote:

[]
Thanks all, I know there will be a learning curve and a long time for
her to settle in but it seems to me like she is restless and doesn't
know what to do when she is not being petted 100% of the time.

If you only petted her, say, 5% of the time instead (if for no other
reason than to get some sleep), that would still be well over ONE HOUR
of petting each day.

I really, really like my dogs, but I don't pet them for ONE HOUR each
day. I'd never get anything done.

boggle

I mostly only pet them when they've done something that pleases me,
and then for just a short time.

I like for my wife to scratch my back, but she only does it when I've
done something nice for her.

If I could ever convince her to scratch my back for 5% of the time, I
can't even imagine the number of nice things I'd have to do for *her.*

boggle

I don't
want to pet her for hours on end

Then don't do it!

and I just felt like if she learned to
occupy herself from time to time with a toy she would be happier... I
could be totally wrong.

I think you'd get much better results by playing hard to get.

It works for my wife.

Do I just let her be restless and find her own favorite thing to do
over time?

That's what *I* would do.

I'm fine if she is not a ball chaser or frisbee
catcher,

Are you sure about that?

it just seems like I should be offering her some sort of other
stimulation.

Maybe someday, *after* she's had time to settle in, learned to *trust*
you, etc., you can find out what makes her tick?

She does get into bones (nylabones, Booda, Rawhide, denta,
etc.) and she will shred a stuffed animal on her own, but she just
doesn't seem to understand how to play with us with a toy.

Give her some TIME.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Multiculturalism and Alligators:
http://www.fredoneverything.net/MultiCulty.shtml

Regime Change - Iran:
http://www.regimechangeiran.com/

To connect the dots, you have to see the dots:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn...t-steyn14.html

The NYT, Andrew Sullivan, and Knox College: All stuck on stupid.
http://author.nationalreview.com/latest/?q=MjE5NQ==