Howling Dog

Old May 17th 06, 03:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Howling Dog

Someone who adopted a dog from the rescue a while ago has a problem. They
have a dog that has a strong urge to howl "loudly and continuously" at
sirens. Unfortunately for them, they live a mile away from a fire station.
They've tried citronella and static correction collars, and it just makes
the dog yelp or run while howling. About the only thing I can think of is
to teach the dog to 'quiet', but that'll only work when someone is home. Do
you think that teaching the dog an alternate behavior when he hears the
sirens is likely to work in a case like this?

Suja

Old May 17th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 17 May 2006 10:51:40 -0400, "Suja"
wrote:

Someone who adopted a dog from the rescue a while ago has a problem. They
have a dog that has a strong urge to howl "loudly and continuously" at
sirens. Unfortunately for them, they live a mile away from a fire station.
They've tried citronella and static correction collars, and it just makes
the dog yelp or run while howling. About the only thing I can think of is
to teach the dog to 'quiet', but that'll only work when someone is home. Do
you think that teaching the dog an alternate behavior when he hears the
sirens is likely to work in a case like this?

What breed or breed mix is he? Some dogs are more hard-wired to howl
than others (I live in a house full of hard-wired howlers). If he's
one of those, an alternate behavior would be less likely to work.
It's worth a try, though.

Mustang Sally

Old May 17th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

What breed or breed mix is he?

German Shepherd. Big whiners, but not exactly known for their howling.

Suja

Old May 17th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:50:01 -0400, "Suja"
wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

What breed or breed mix is he?

German Shepherd. Big whiners, but not exactly known for their howling.

But very biddable, so I'd try "quiet" first, then an alternate
behavior.

Mustang Sally

Old May 18th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message:

What breed or breed mix is he?

German Shepherd. Big whiners, but not exactly known for their howling.

But very biddable, so I'd try "quiet" first, then an alternate
behavior.

We've got one of those GSD fire truck howlers and the fire station is
less than a mile away. She learned "knock it off" just fine. If she
howls when I am not here, it is during the day when people are usually
not all that upset about noise. She has come to the point where she
doesn't even start the howling, unless she is really dying to talk to
the sirens, in which case she howls ever so quietly. It's pretty
funny, actually, so I don't intervene when she does the quiet howl.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old May 18th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:50:01 -0400 Suja whittled these words:

German Shepherd. Big whiners, but not exactly known for their howling.

My GSD was the only one of my dogs that howled at sirens, and the only one
to howl on command.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old May 18th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Paula" wrote in message

She has come to the point where she
doesn't even start the howling, unless she is really dying to talk to
the sirens, in which case she howls ever so quietly. It's pretty
funny, actually, so I don't intervene when she does the quiet howl.

Finn and I used to do our little "Morning Howl" back when he was still
around. As he got sicker, I started forgetting (mostly because he was up a
few times a night and I was exhausted by morning). I didn't even realize I'd
been forgetting until I woke up one morning to him howling softly to himself
on his bed. It looked almost exactly like he was humming to himself. He
started doing that more and more often. He even had a favorite commercial he
always hummed along to. I loved it!

I miss that boy fiercely at times.

Tara

Old May 18th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Thu, 18 May 2006 04:51:24 GMT, "TaraG"
wrote:

"Paula" wrote in message
.. .

She has come to the point where she
doesn't even start the howling, unless she is really dying to talk to
the sirens, in which case she howls ever so quietly. It's pretty
funny, actually, so I don't intervene when she does the quiet howl.

Finn and I used to do our little "Morning Howl" back when he was still
around. As he got sicker, I started forgetting (mostly because he was up a
few times a night and I was exhausted by morning). I didn't even realize I'd
been forgetting until I woke up one morning to him howling softly to himself
on his bed. It looked almost exactly like he was humming to himself. He
started doing that more and more often. He even had a favorite commercial he
always hummed along to. I loved it!

I miss that boy fiercely at times.

With sighthounds and Siberians, we are a howling house. Matty the
Greyhound loved to howl; all it took to get him started was me saying
"Matty, wanna sing?" Unfortunately, he had kind of a high-pitched
screeching howl, but we still loved it.

It's been 29 days since we lost Matty, not that I'm counting. Some
days I miss him so much I can feel it physically.

Mustang Sally

Old May 18th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:00:27 -0400, sighthounds & siberians
, clicked their heels and said:

It's been 29 days since we lost Matty, not that I'm counting. Some
days I miss him so much I can feel it physically.

Oh Sally - I know what you mean. I'm so sorry for you. Time does
help, but it's never easy.

Franklin howls to certain TV shows and the coffee grinder. It's ummmm
- interesting. I'm sure that some day, when he's gone, I will miss
that and not be able to handle watching Law and Order anymore. It
will be on, at least in reruns, forever, so I'm doomed!

--
Janet Boss
Old May 18th 06, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

sighthounds & siberians wrote:

With sighthounds and Siberians, we are a howling house. Matty the
Greyhound loved to howl; all it took to get him started was me saying
"Matty, wanna sing?" Unfortunately, he had kind of a high-pitched
screeching howl, but we still loved it.

It's been 29 days since we lost Matty, not that I'm counting. Some
days I miss him so much I can feel it physically.

I know how you feel - it's been just a little longer than that
since we lost Gordo.

Gordo loved to "sing," and he had a very sweet soprano voice.
All I had to do was screech out, "Gordo, do you want to sing for
mo-meeeeeee?" and he'd pick up and give me an aria. Oppie would
occasionally join in with his baritone. Alas, Chile and Dylan
looked on the whole singing thing with a bit of disdain. I know
it's not a male vs female thing, because Lena, my parents' chi,
loved to sing, in the most gawd-awful raspy tuneless alto. But
to us it was beyootiful.

FurPaw

--
Don't think of it as getting hot flashes.
Think of it as your inner child playing with matches.

To reply, unleash the dog