She's a poop eater

Old May 20th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default She's a poop eater

I have a puppy. She is a five month old Austrailian Shepherd. She is
a poop eater. This is an obviously disgusting habit, but I understand
it is not entirely uncommon. I took care of this problem about 3
months ago, or so I thought. I put some hot sauce on her poop, and
when shye went to eat it, she did not enjoy the taste one bit. After
that, she wouldn't go near the stuff... till the last week or so. I
started puting hot sauce on it again, but apparently she figured out
that little trick, and only ate the poop unaffected by said hot sauce.
I figure I could just pick the stuff up, but tonight, she made it
obvious that that would be innefective. You see, we put her in a crate
when we leave, Well, she obviously pooped in her crate and ate it. I
know this, because not 15 minutes ago, she thrice puked up the most
vile smelling brown substance imaginable, I mean, it ranked right up
there with shad sides. And I do mean ranked. I need to get this
animal off of the poop. Can anyone please help me?

Old May 20th 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 19 May 2006 22:16:26 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Your "problem" (probably) is that you're leaving your pup in her crate
too long, so she's pooping in it. That is, she's not house-trained
yet. You're also probably not regulating her "output" properly. You
can do that by regulating her "input."

The crate is probably too large, which invites "problems" like the one
you're describing. Section it off, if you can, so that she barely has
enough room in which to stand up and turn around.

The best way to prevent dogs from eating poop is to not allow it
(coprophagia) to become a HABIT. And the best way to do that is to
*quickly* pick up after her, and not give her a chance to eat it.

I.e., just don't let her do it.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Cheap anti-Americanism must have consequences:
http://victorhanson.com/articles/hanson051906.html

I knew it all along! French are rudest, most boring people on earth:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/060....atwy4xao.html

France.

spit

Rope. Tree. Politician.
http://article.nationalreview.com/?q...U2YWUxM2FjNDM=

The Real Iraq:
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/Pr...aheri_0606.htm

Multiculturalism and Alligators:
http://www.fredoneverything.net/MultiCulty.shtml

Regime Change - Iran:
http://www.regimechangeiran.com/

To connect the dots, you have to see the dots:
http://www.suntimes.com/output/steyn...t-steyn14.html
Old May 20th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Crate is already that size, so that is out. I can regulate the
behaviour outside by cleaning up or simply being out there. She does
not spend long periods (well longer than 4 hours) in her crate at a
strech. Although I would perfer not to have her in there at all, her
behavour (ie chewing and housetraing problems) disallows me to leave
her free reign of the house when away. If we are going to be gone
longer, we take her to doggie day care. Any of this change anything?

Old May 20th 06, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 20 May 2006 13:31:39 -0700, wrote:

Crate is already that size, so that is out. I can regulate the
behaviour outside by cleaning up or simply being out there. She does
not spend long periods (well longer than 4 hours) in her crate at a
strech. Although I would perfer not to have her in there at all, her
behavour (ie chewing and housetraing problems) disallows me to leave
her free reign of the house when away. If we are going to be gone
longer, we take her to doggie day care. Any of this change anything?

Not really. It's up to you to find ways to minimize her opportunities
to poop inside, and then to eat it. You're the only one who can do
that.

If she's starting to (or historically has) poop(ed) in her crate, the
crate is now part of the problem, not the solution.

This is something that she will probably grow out of soon, provided
you don't allow it to become a HABIT.

Which usually translates into how much time and effort (including
creativity) you're willing to put in NOW to prevent it from ever
developing.

It's kind of like the old Fram Oil commercial.

"You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

Old May 22nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

although we will never know why dogs eat their own poop, other dogs'
and cats' poop,
you might want to look into his diet. By proper nutrition ( and I don't
mean expensive kibble), and proper supplements, you can see good
changes in him, physically and mentally. For example, ask you doctor
about enzyme supplements. Poop is nutritious, in some weird ways. Most
probably, dogs know that already. After all, it can't be delicious.

here's an introductory article i found informative on feeding our dogs
right. the information is elementary though. You may want to find out
more. http://www.housepetmagazine.com/four/Dog_Food.htm.

Old May 23rd 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

I have had a dog that was a poop eater and it is very frustrating. I
suspect it had to do with her early lack of clean environment by the
man who bred the dogs for profit only and let them lie in their
excrement and only feed the mother and the pups wall mart food. So I
would suspect nutrition and dirty environment to be the cause.
Show Dog Bark

Old May 24th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 23 May 2006 14:00:36 -0700, "showdogbark" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I have had a dog that was a poop eater and it is very frustrating. I
suspect it had to do with her early lack of clean environment by the
man who bred the dogs for profit only and let them lie in their
excrement and only feed the mother and the pups wall mart food. So I
would suspect nutrition and dirty environment to be the cause.

Perhaps for her, perhaps not. I can tell you that there are a lot of
poop eating dogs who have had excellent breeding and rearing, so your
generalization is incorrect.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 24th 06, 02:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 24 May 2006 07:42:59 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

On 23 May 2006 14:00:36 -0700, "showdogbark" ,
clicked their heels and said:

I have had a dog that was a poop eater and it is very frustrating. I
suspect it had to do with her early lack of clean environment by the
man who bred the dogs for profit only and let them lie in their
excrement and only feed the mother and the pups wall mart food. So I
would suspect nutrition and dirty environment to be the cause.

Perhaps for her, perhaps not. I can tell you that there are a lot of
poop eating dogs who have had excellent breeding and rearing, so your
generalization is incorrect.

It certainly is. Poop eating is not uncommon in racing greyhounds,
which unfortunately means it's not uncommon in ex-racers. Boredom is
probably the cause there, perhaps the fact that they're fed only once
a day on the track. While their diet isn't the best, the diet of the
poop-eating dogs currently residing in my house is excellent, so the
nutrition generalization doesn't work either. (I don't follow the
logic that dogs fed poor quality food will eat poop...I've seen some
truly malnourished dogs and they didn't eat poop.)

Mustang Sally

Old May 25th 06, 02:16 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet B" wrote in message

Perhaps for her, perhaps not. I can tell you that there are a lot of
poop eating dogs who have had excellent breeding and rearing, so your
generalization is incorrect.

IMO poop-eating in dogs is an instinctive behavior that they, oh, misapply.
Or do at inappropriate times.

flick 100785