Behaviour issues with a puppy

Old May 25th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Behaviour issues with a puppy

so we have this awesome 7 months old puppy that we love to death. we
got him when he was a month old, he never went through any kind of
training, other then what we attempted teaching him. we have several
issues with him that we don't know how to overcome :

1) he still pee's and poop's in the house : we live in an apartment,
and because he will just chew on ANYTHING that comes in his way
(including ALL furniture's in the house) we are forced to keep him
separated (in the kitchen) from the rest of the house while we're
either out or during the night. sometimes he will pee in his own bed or
even next to (and sometimes on) his food. i can sometimes walk him for
30-40 minutes, and then he'll come back home and take care of business
after less then an hour.

2) chewing : i realize that he's teething and needs something to keep
his mouth busy, but he will prefer to chew on things his NOT allowed to
(like furniture) rather then on things he IS allowed too (his toys, we
bought him a bunch just for this purpose).

3) wild behavior (sometimes) : i guess that it has something to do with
the fact that he spends most of his time alone all day, but when we get
home, he is sometimes un stoppable. runs like crazy all over the house,
jumps on us, barks...

does this sound normal for an indoor puppy ? he's a mixed pit-bull...
he does have his relaxed moments where he can just get comfy on his
couch or in his bed and be so cute and sweet, but this is getting to be
a real problem for us sometimes, and we're not sure how to deal with
his training... we are both working long hours and cant really dedicate
THAT much time into training... does it make any sense to send him to
one of these places for a week, where they go through some basic
training?

advices here are highly appreciated...

btw, just so you can get a visual of who he is :

http://web.mac.com/amirtal33/iWeb/GTK/Kinly.html

Old May 25th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 25 May 2006 10:53:32 -0700, "Tal Amir" ,
clicked their heels and said:

so we have this awesome 7 months old puppy that we love to death. we
got him when he was a month old,

I'm doubting that. At 4 weeks, he's not weaned.

1) he still pee's and poop's in the house : we live in an apartment,
and because he will just chew on ANYTHING that comes in his way
(including ALL furniture's in the house) we are forced to keep him
separated (in the kitchen) from the rest of the house while we're
either out or during the night. sometimes he will pee in his own bed or
even next to (and sometimes on) his food. i can sometimes walk him for
30-40 minutes, and then he'll come back home and take care of business
after less then an hour.

Crate training. Supervision. If he doesn't go, he gets no freedom
for 5-10 minutes, then try again. No walk until he produces (i.e.
stay in one area and only give the reward of the walk AFTER he goes).

2) chewing : i realize that he's teething and needs something to keep
his mouth busy, but he will prefer to chew on things his NOT allowed to
(like furniture) rather then on things he IS allowed too (his toys, we
bought him a bunch just for this purpose).

Bitter apple. Exercise. Training. Redirection.

3) wild behavior (sometimes) : i guess that it has something to do with
the fact that he spends most of his time alone all day, but when we get
home, he is sometimes un stoppable. runs like crazy all over the house,
jumps on us, barks...

Exercise. Training.

does this sound normal for an indoor puppy ? he's a mixed pit-bull...
he does have his relaxed moments where he can just get comfy on his
couch or in his bed and be so cute and sweet, but this is getting to be
a real problem for us sometimes, and we're not sure how to deal with
his training... we are both working long hours and cant really dedicate
THAT much time into training... does it make any sense to send him to
one of these places for a week, where they go through some basic
training?

He needs a whole lot more than you're giving him. You need to step up
to the plate and TRAIN this dog. If you can't - rehome him. He
deserves more.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 25th 06, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

you are telling me what i already know, and with all due respect, your
answers dont sound like something i would expect out of a professional
(which you seem to be, judging by what ou say about yourself in your
website). i hope that when people come to personaly see you with their
problems, you dont tell them "Exercise. Training. Redirection. ".
hardly an advise for an un experienced dog lover. i'm sorry that
"you're doubting" the facts that i'm telling you, but we did get him at
the age of 4 weeks. we actualy got him from a shelter, where his future
must be a lot worse then the loving home he has today.

i hope you have some actual educating advise for us....? if not, thanks
for trying to help.

Old May 25th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 25 May 2006 11:23:44 -0700, "Tal Amir" ,
clicked their heels and said:

. i hope that when people come to personaly see you with their
problems, you dont tell them "Exercise. Training. Redirection. ".

I elaborate of course, but this is a public newsgroup - last I
checked, you weren't paying me for detailed advice. But that's it in
a nutshell. You have a high energy breed, in an apartment, say
NOTHING about training or exercise, so that's a place to start. If
you aren't willing to provide that, you have no business owning the
dog. Period.

i hope you have some actual educating advise for us....?

I did and do. Your dog needs significant, focused, safe exercise.
Your dog needs training. Since you are INexperienced, the best way
for you to do that is hire a trainer/signup for a training class.
Pitbulls get a bad rap, they don't need owners who aren't willing to
do what they need to do.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 25th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 25 May 2006 11:23:44 -0700, "Tal Amir" wrote:

[]
i hope that when people come to personaly see you with their
problems, you dont tell them "Exercise. Training. Redirection. ".

Well, when you actually enroll in one of Janet's classes (after paying
her some $$$), she'll *show* you how to do all that.

[]
i hope you have some actual educating advise for us....? if not, thanks
for trying to help.

My advice?

Find your dog a good home.

If for no other reason that this comment:

we are both working long hours and cant really dedicate
THAT much time into training

And one where the owner doesn't have a giant chip on his shoulder.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Liberal universities.

spit

http://townhall.com/opinion/columns/...24/198583.html
http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/20...uke-rape-case/

Liberal judges.

spit

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...3829136003.txt

California 2. France 0
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...RSS&attr=World

France.

spit

Dennis Hastert and the GOP. They don't call it "The Stupid Party: for nothing.
http://hotair.com/archives/vent/2006...ion-continues/
Old May 25th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Thanks for the very detailed responce Suja. i guess that the only way
is to spend more time out of the house and let him get all this puppy
energy out of his system. we'll give it a shot for a few days and see
how it goes. how do you feel about training centers who take your dog
for a few days and walk him through the basics ? i'm having problems
trusting anyone with him for such a long time... we were on vacation a
few weeks ago and i was worried sick and calling home twice a day to
check on him, even though he had a 24\7 supervision from our
neighbor...

Old May 25th 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Tal Amir" wrote in message:
you are telling me what i already know

Now I'm confused. If you already know what to do, why aren't you doing it?

i hope that when people come to personaly see you with their
problems, you dont tell them "Exercise. Training. Redirection. ".
hardly an advise for an un experienced dog lover.

Why not? Dog training isn't rocket science, and there are no easy answers.
What Janet said in a nutshell is that you need to spend more time exercising
and training your dog if you want a dog without the problems that you've
mentioned. There really is no way to get around the fact that dogs need
exercise and training, and that you need to spend some time doing that.

i hope you have some actual educating advise for us....? if not, thanks
for trying to help.

To keep your dog from chewing stuff he shouldn't, keep him confined when you
can't supervise him, keep him tethered to you or something else in the room
so you can keep an eye on him, redirect him towards appropriate chewies
(having too many toys can be a problem, and the dog may have trouble
distinguishing between what is an appropriate chew toy, and what is not),
praise and reward when he makes correct choices. You may also want to try
putting something distasteful like bitter apple on things he is not allowed
to chew.

Potty training requires diligence and patience on your part. Feed your dog
on a schedule so his pottying also becomes fairly predictable. Take your
dog out on a schedule. Reward him (praise, treat, play, whatever motivates
your dog) when he goes in the right place. It might also be helpful to
associate a cue (Go Pee, Go Poop are what I use) with the elimination so
that the dog can be taught to go on cue. If your dog goes outside and
hasn't taken care of business, crate him or otherwise confine him and take
him out again 5 or 10 minutes later. Lather, rinse, repeat. If your dog is
having accidents in the house while you are gone for long periods of time,
it might be because he just can't hold it any longer. You might want to
investigate having a dogwalker come in once a day to take him out. I am
making the assumption here that your dog doesn't have a medical problem that
makes it difficult for him to hold it, and that he is not marking.

As for the crazy behavior, just about the only thing that will work for that
is to keep him mentally and physically exercised. Get up half an hour or an
hour earlier than you do, and take him for a long walk. Do this at least
once a day, preferably twice, rain or shine. If you have a safe place where
he can be off-leash (since he's a pit mix, he may not be a dog park
candidate, so something like a tennis court might have to do), let him run
around a bit, chasing balls or frisbee, just getting some of the ya-yas out
of his system. Training does not have to be time consuming. In fact, it is
best done in short spurts, but many times during the day. Teach him to do
stuff while the commercials are on. Practice by having him perform his
tricks before he gets fed or played with, or even loved on.

Khan's best friend is a Pit mix, who was adopted at 7 months of age. She
was hell on wheels, and about the only way to keep her sane was to give her
lots and lots of exercise, and give her a good amount of training. You may
find that you have to do the same.

Suja

Old May 25th 06, 08:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Tal Amir" said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

how do you feel about training centers who take your dog
for a few days and walk him through the basics ?

"Dog training" is somewhat of a misnomer - good trainers teach
the handler how to train the dog.

What part of the world do you live in? Maybe someone here can
point you to a training school or organisation.

Old May 25th 06, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

we live in bergen county, NJ. i would live to go and see a professional
about this. we really love our dog and want to make both our life's
(and his) happier and easier.

Old May 25th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 25 May 2006 12:31:26 -0700, "Tal Amir" ,
clicked their heels and said:

we live in bergen county, NJ. i would live to go and see a professional
about this. we really love our dog and want to make both our life's
(and his) happier and easier.

I grew up there. It's been awhile though ;-D, so hopefully someone
else can make a trainer recommendation!
--
Janet Boss