Helping Older Dog Adjust to Puppy - Advice

Old May 26th 06, 03:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Helping Older Dog Adjust to Puppy - Advice

(I have done searches on this, but wanted newer opinions and anyone's 2
cents on the specifics of this situation)

Background:
My wife's 6.5 lbs Lhasa Alpso lived happily with my 20lb Beagle/Terrior
Mix when we got married - both dogs were the same age. It took about 3
days to teach the beagle to be gentle and lay still for the Lhasa to
sniff and check him out. Once done, they became best buds.
Unfortunately, 3 years later, the beagle was put down for reasons I
will go into another time. It's been about 3 months since the loss of
my beagle and the Lhasa adjusted fine to his absence with no
depression, etc. The Lhasa loves kids and other dogs and is very open
to new people and things. The Lhasa is roughly 6yrs old (middle aged).

Currently:
Because of the Lhasa's openess to change, we brough home a 11wk old
Cavalier King Charels Spaniel. The puppy desperately wants to play with
the Lhasa by bounding up to it, sniffing, even light nipping to get a
reaction. The Lhasa for all intesnive purposes looks severly depressed
- avoids the puppy, growls at it when the puppy gets too rambunxious,
and generally gets the heck out of the way. At night when the puppy is
in the crate, and we are alone in bed with the Lhasa - the Lhasa
becomes very playful and affectionate because the puppy is not around.
We share timer with both dogs w/o showing favoritism and make sure the
Lhasa is also showered with attention.

Questions:
1) Is the bounding, pouncing, sniffing, and even light nipping the
puppy trying to play or a sign of dominace?
2) Why is the Lhasa not turning around and for all intensive purposes
putting the puppy in his place (she did that to my LARGER beagle all
the time).
3) Is this a phase? Will the dogs every become friends and play like my
previous dog and I just need to be patient. Or is this a lost cause?

Old May 26th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article . com,
wrote:
1) Is the bounding, pouncing, sniffing, and even light nipping the
puppy trying to play or a sign of dominace?

It's a sign of puppiness.

2) Why is the Lhasa not turning around and for all intensive purposes
putting the puppy in his place (she did that to my LARGER beagle all
the time).

A couple of things: 1) puppies come with puppy licenses, and
older dogs tend to put up with stuff from puppies that they
won't in older dogs; 2) it takes a few weeks for dogs in new
living situations (and bringing a new dog into a home
changes the living situation for the old dog) to suss things
out and start relaxing.

3) Is this a phase? Will the dogs every become friends and play like my
previous dog and I just need to be patient. Or is this a lost cause?

You're modelling the dogs' relationship on your older dog's
previous relationship, but the new dog is different from the
dog you lost. Their relationship will almost certainly be
different and may or may not include a lot of play, but it
would be pretty surprising if they didn't become buddies.
Sometimes things don't work out between two dogs but that's
not often the case. Relax, enjoy your dogs, don't force
anything, and the odds are very, very much in your favor.

Old May 26th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melanie,

Thank you so much for your reply. My past 2 dogs have been rescued at
about 1.5yrs old and lived long lives. But in both cases we had
problems with dominance and even agression that caused us to adjust our
behaviors, seek behavioralists, train, etc. I have never owned a
burebread or puppy - so this is a new experience, and having dealt with
agression/dominance I am automatically looking for signs. Sometimes it
is hard to seperate a full out sprint&pounce from a puppy onto the
Lhasa's head as play or dominance. I'm an experienced dog owne, but in
no way a behavioralist.

Is there anything you can suggest that may help the dogs get
acclimented? Discourage the puppy from constantly going up to the
Lhasa, encourage the Lhasa growl when needed, etc? Or do I need to grab
a beer, chill out, and just watch over time?

BTW, are you an owner, trainer, breeder, or behavioralist? Not that it
really matters to me.

Old May 26th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
wrote:
I am automatically looking for signs.

A lot of people do. I don't, myself - I think too much
stuff that's either normal, kind-of normal, or a problem
caused by something else is labelled "aggression." It's a
real phenomenon but I try to avoid using the word because I
think it's been so very badly abused. (I avoid "dominance"
for similar reasons).

In an ideal situation, the puppy would continue pulling
puppy hijinks until it went a little too far and the older
dog would give it the smackdown. However, until the dogs
understand that the new situation is permanent the older dog
may be reluctant to do that and the puppy may go too far.
That's the kind of thing I'd be watching for, but "too far"
is subjective (depending on the older dog's reactions) and
can be hard to read if you don't have a lot of experience.

Is there anything you can suggest that may help the dogs get
acclimented? Discourage the puppy from constantly going up to the
Lhasa, encourage the Lhasa growl when needed, etc? Or do I need to grab
a beer, chill out, and just watch over time?

I don't like to intervene much when dogs negotiate their
relationships, as long as there's not a problem.

BTW, are you an owner, trainer, breeder, or behavioralist?

I'm an owner. At the moment I've got seven Siberian Huskies
living loose indoors.

Old May 26th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

LOL, That is a heck of a lot of big dogs in one house.
Again, thanks for the advice Melinda.

Anyone else have any advice, please tack on to this conversation.

Old May 26th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 26 May 2006 08:10:42 -0700, "
, clicked their heels and said:

Anyone else have any advice, please tack on to this conversation.

I agree with Melinda. The dogs need to figure this out. I have only
3 dogs (all retrievers) living in my house (+ 2 cats!), but have
integrated puppies many times over. Sometimes for just a few days,
sometimes a few weeks, sometimes a few months, sometimes permanently.
The situations vary, but ultimately, they all figure it out and are
good buddies.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 26th 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 26 May 2006 08:10:42 -0700, "
wrote:

LOL, That is a heck of a lot of big dogs in one house.
Again, thanks for the advice Melinda.

Anyone else have any advice, please tack on to this conversation.

I'll just add my endorsement of Melinda's advice. I do rescue and have
a multidog household full of dogs nobody wanted, and I don't intervene
either unless there is a problem. My puppy experience is limited, but
it's still consistent with what Melinda said, and so is the more
extensive puppy experience of people I know. Your Lhasa isn't old
enough to be truly bothered by the pup, so with a little time, he
should adjust and they should get along fine.

Mustang Sally (14 dogs currently, including fosters)

Old May 26th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 26 May 2006 08:31:57 -0700, "
wrote:

BTW - I've seen this prick on a ton of messages. Is there no moderator
on this board?

Nope.

And that's the way we like it -- unmoderated.

BTW, it's not a board.

It's Usenet:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/

You might want to think about not using Google, and getting yourself a
real news reader, with which you can basically do your own
"moderating," using kill-filters, etc.

Here are two of the best:

1. Agent http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

2. Xnews http://xnews.newsguy.com/

Number 2 is FREE.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Liberal universities.

spit

http://townhall.com/opinion/columns/...24/198583.html
http://lashawnbarber.com/archives/20...uke-rape-case/

Liberal judges.

spit

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...3829136003.txt

California 2. France 0
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...RSS&attr=World

France.

spit

Dennis Hastert and the GOP. They don't call it "The Stupid Party" for nothing.
http://hotair.com/archives/vent/2006...ion-continues/
Old May 26th 06, 05:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message:

A couple of things: 1) puppies come with puppy licenses, and
older dogs tend to put up with stuff from puppies that they
won't in older dogs;

Somebody forgot to pass that memo to Pan. And for some reason, puppies all
seem to want to launch straight into her face, only to be met with an
impressive display of teeth.

Suja

Old May 26th 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Fri, 26 May 2006 12:14:41 -0400, "Suja" ,
clicked their heels and said:

Somebody forgot to pass that memo to Pan. And for some reason, puppies all
seem to want to launch straight into her face, only to be met with an
impressive display of teeth.

If she's not actually biting them, I think she's giving them license.
Teaching them to get the hell out of her face isn't not tolerating!

--
Janet Boss