digging in backyard

Old May 30th 06, 11:19 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default digging in backyard

I have a 7 years old greyhound; a rescue dog who is really a great dog. he's
lovable, friendly and well mannered around the house.
When he goes to the backyard to do his business, he has his own private
area. An area about 300 square feet is all his own, but he has one problem I
can't figure out. there is one spot, near a tree, where is digs, as if there
is a bone buried there. There is absolutely nothing buried in this place,
but you would think, he is searching for dog food. Sometime, he will try to
eat the dirt and we have to call him back to the house. What would make him
dig in just this one spot? I'm really mystified about this problem. Any help
appreciated.
John

Old May 30th 06, 11:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"John Payton" composed these thoughts and posted
them news:L_Ueg.6313$o%3.3947@trndny07:

I have a 7 years old greyhound; a rescue dog who is really a great
dog. he's lovable, friendly and well mannered around the house.
When he goes to the backyard to do his business, he has his own
private area. An area about 300 square feet is all his own, but he has
one problem I can't figure out. there is one spot, near a tree, where
is digs, as if there is a bone buried there. There is absolutely
nothing buried in this place, but you would think, he is searching for
dog food. Sometime, he will try to eat the dirt and we have to call
him back to the house. What would make him dig in just this one spot?
I'm really mystified about this problem. Any help appreciated.
John

Grubs? My dogs love them
Old May 30th 06, 12:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"diddy" wrote in message
. ..
"John Payton" composed these thoughts and posted
them news:L_Ueg.6313$o%3.3947@trndny07:

I have a 7 years old greyhound; a rescue dog who is really a great
dog. he's lovable, friendly and well mannered around the house.
When he goes to the backyard to do his business, he has his own
private area. An area about 300 square feet is all his own, but he has
one problem I can't figure out. there is one spot, near a tree, where
is digs, as if there is a bone buried there. There is absolutely
nothing buried in this place, but you would think, he is searching for
dog food. Sometime, he will try to eat the dirt and we have to call
him back to the house. What would make him dig in just this one spot?
I'm really mystified about this problem. Any help appreciated.
John

Grubs? My dogs love them

WOW I didn't think about that. I put grubx on the rest of the backyard to
get rid of grubs but didn't put it on the dogs area because I was afraid it
might hurt him. His area is covered with mulch, since grass won't grown too
good in that area. Guess I will rake up the mulch and then put down grubx.
Then I'll spread the mulch over the area and maybe that will stop the
digging. Thanks.

Old May 30th 06, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"John Payton" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Grubs? My dogs love them

WOW I didn't think about that. I put grubx on the rest of
the backyard to get rid of grubs but didn't put it on the
dogs area because I was afraid it might hurt him. His area
is covered with mulch, since grass won't grown too good in
that area. Guess I will rake up the mulch and then put down
grubx. Then I'll spread the mulch over the area and maybe
that will stop the digging. Thanks.

Dogs like to dig and it's great that yours has picked one
particular spot to dig in. I wouldn't discourage this
behaviour.

Old May 31st 06, 02:03 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Another possible reason for the behavior: truffles!

Although we picky humans only consider a few varieties edible, dogs
are often fascinated by underground-fruiting-fungi (truffles and
"false truffles"). If you happen to have a mushroom expert around you
might examine the "dirt" your dog is chewing on.

I'd also agree with Matt. Right now digging is confined to this one
area -- which you haven't treated with poisons, so it's safe for the
dog as long as you don't use cocoa mulch. Seems a pretty harmless way
for the dog to get his digging done, if that's all it is. And if he's
munching on grubs or truffles or both, no harm in that really.

--------------------------------------
If you really need to email me, mow the lawn.
Old May 31st 06, 02:10 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Wed, 31 May 2006 01:03:12 GMT, Elizabeth B Naime
wrote:

Another possible reason for the behavior: truffles!

Although we picky humans only consider a few varieties edible, dogs
are often fascinated by underground-fruiting-fungi (truffles and
"false truffles"). If you happen to have a mushroom expert around you
might examine the "dirt" your dog is chewing on.

I'd also agree with Matt. Right now digging is confined to this one
area -- which you haven't treated with poisons, so it's safe for the
dog as long as you don't use cocoa mulch. Seems a pretty harmless way
for the dog to get his digging done, if that's all it is. And if he's
munching on grubs or truffles or both, no harm in that really.

Heck, if he's munching on grubs, send him to my house for a month or
so. For that matter, if he's digging in just one spot, send him to my
house...

Mustang Sally

Old June 1st 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

John Payton wrote:
I have a 7 years old greyhound; a rescue dog who is really a great dog. he's
lovable, friendly and well mannered around the house.
When he goes to the backyard to do his business, he has his own private
area. An area about 300 square feet is all his own, but he has one problem I
can't figure out. there is one spot, near a tree, where is digs, as if there
is a bone buried there. There is absolutely nothing buried in this place,
but you would think, he is searching for dog food. Sometime, he will try to
eat the dirt and we have to call him back to the house. What would make him
dig in just this one spot? I'm really mystified about this problem. Any help
appreciated.
John

Hi
I have a poodle with 3 favored spots to dig, when my dog digs i praise
him and he stops. but my dog does it from pent up nervous energy,
especially after being inside all winter. if he keeps going at it even
while you praise you'll know its not nervousness energy. sometime to
try,
crystal

Old June 2nd 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 1 Jun 2006 09:38:29 -0700, "
wrote:

John Payton wrote:
[...]

So what do you do if you praise the dog and he keeps digging?

Mustang Sally

Old June 2nd 06, 01:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

So what do you do if you praise the dog and he keeps digging?

Mustang Sally

hi,
for my own dogs i dont want them to dig in the yard so if he digs and
digs after i have already praised him (5 to 20 seconds) ill make a
distraction and praise him again. if he still digs ill make another
distraction coming from another direction so that it still gets his
attention and praise him again, and so on. sometimes , i have found
with my dogs and others i have handled, adjusting my possition or
giving a calming signal works as a very nice distraction. i find it
pretty easy to "erase" most "problem" behaviors once i get my dogs
minds off whatever it is i dont want them to think about with
distraction and praise and back on me.
but thats me and my dogs,
crystal

Old June 2nd 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

sighthounds & siberians said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I have a poodle with 3 favored spots to dig, when my dog
digs i praise him and he stops. but my dog does it from
pent up nervous energy, especially after being inside all
winter. if he keeps going at it even while you praise
you'll know its not nervousness energy. sometime to try,

So what do you do if you praise the dog and he keeps
digging?

I think that I've finally figured these folks out - I really
don't think they're praising the bad behaviour, but the
cessation of bad behaviour after the dog has been successfully
distracted.

Y'know - the same thing everyone here has done forever.