Airedale Terrier Pricing

Old June 8th 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Airedale Terrier Pricing

I am considering purchasing an airedale terrier and was wondering if I
might get some advice regarding pricing. I've seen a wide range in
prices, from 400 to 1200 dollars.

The puppy I am considering was the run of a litter, has a championship
bloodline, but does not adhear to the breed standard with regard to
color: ears and face are black. Probably too soon to tell on many of
the other aspects.

The purchaser is asking 900 dollars.

Is this reasonable?

We fell in love with our neighbor's airedale but have since moved away,
please help?

Old June 8th 06, 07:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 7 Jun 2006 20:55:01 -0700 whittled these words:
I am considering purchasing an airedale terrier and was wondering if I
might get some advice regarding pricing. I've seen a wide range in
prices, from 400 to 1200 dollars.

The puppy I am considering was the run of a litter, has a championship
bloodline, but does not adhear to the breed standard with regard to
color: ears and face are black. Probably too soon to tell on many of
the other aspects.

When someone says "championship bloodline" what they are saying is that
neither parent was ever evaluated for its breed qualities. As an
assurance of quality it is worthless. And as an indication that the dogs
will meet breed standard it is worthless. So you have to ask yourself
what advantage DO you get for haveing "championship bloodline" - and the
answer is none. You only get an advantage if that "championship
bloodline" comes together with breeding with knowledge and understanding
of sound structure and proper temperament evaluation. Having puppies that
aren't showable is common even for well bred litters - but I'm always
suspicious of people who try to sell on bloodlines in the background
rather than the qualities of the sire and dam. Why weren't the sire and
dam ever properly evaluated?

The purchaser is asking 900 dollars.

Is this reasonable?

Is there an OFA certificate for sire and dam? For the grandparents?
http://www.airedale.org/choosing.php

Hip dysplasia is a problem in the breed, as is cancer. What steps has the
breeder taken to try reducing the risks of these problems? Is the breeder
contributing to the problem, or the solution? What is the health
guarantee like? Anything less than two years for genetic health issues is
pathetic.

--
Diane Blackman
There is no moral victory in proclaiming to abhor violence
Old June 8th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

On 7 Jun 2006 20:55:01 -0700, wrote:

I am considering purchasing an airedale terrier ...

We fell in love with our neighbor's Airedale but have since moved away,
please help?

That's one of my favorite breeds. Have you given any thought to rescuing
an adult Airedale--they need love, too! And after all, it was an adult
Airedale that you fell in love with.

Adult Airedales are available he
http://www.airedalerescuegroup.com/
for $300.00. They are in good health, current on shots and vet care, and
ready for a good home. And there are many Airedale rescue groups; not to
mention Petfinder.com.

A dog's life is too short; their only fault really.