dogs detect THC

Old June 12th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

Default dogs detect THC

I was at a police dog demo at Wolf Park this weekend. I asked if the
dogs alert on the THC in marijuana or if they'll alert on hemp also. I
was told that they're trained to alert only on THC so they won't alert
on hemp.

Interesting. Too bad the rest of our law enforcement can't distinguish
between the two.

--kyler
Old June 13th 06, 04:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc

Kyler Laird wrote:

I was at a police dog demo at Wolf Park this weekend. I asked if the
dogs alert on the THC in marijuana or if they'll alert on hemp also. I
was told that they're trained to alert only on THC so they won't alert
on hemp.

Interesting. Too bad the rest of our law enforcement can't distinguish
between the two.

--kyler

Notice that they don't let the dogs work at liberty. Apparently they're not
exactly well trained, that is, they haven't developed the dog's judgment
but only a single response. I'd think, since they pair a dog and a handler,
that the handler would take it on himself to train the dog a little more,
but maybe he doesn't know how, or even that a dog on a leash isn't much of
a police asset.

Police with actually well trained dogs at liberty would be a tremendous asset
in inspiring people to try to emulate that in their own dogs; a ``trained'' dog
on a leash isn't much good for dog public relations.

Koehler's idea back in the 50s was ``dog as citizen'' before he was hooted off stage
by handwringers and busybodies.
--
Ron Hardin