Help Dog eating cat food

Old June 13th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog

Default Help Dog eating cat food

Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?

Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

--
CRAIG BAILEY
67 Union St. #2D, Winooski, Vt. 05404-1948 USA
Old June 13th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog

"Craig Bailey" wrote in message
Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?

Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

Absolutely. Move the cat food where the dog can't get it.

To the dog anything it finds that is edible is "his". We have a special
counter in our kitchen where we feed cats. We don't prepare our own food
on this counter, but that is the cat's counter. The dogs don't go there
and they don't eat the cat food.

There really is no other way, and you know, cat food isn't formulated for
dogs, and it is probably not good for your dog to just keep on eating
anything anytime. Better just move the bowl.

--

Best Regards,

Evelyn
(to reply to me personally, remove 'sox')

Old June 23rd 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs,rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.dog

Craig Bailey writes:
Any suggestions for how to stop an 11-year-old eskimo/poodle mix who
insists on eating the new kitten's cat food?

Training methods? Bowl placement? Special feeding devices?

I believe dogs will always go for catfood since it has a higher
protein content than dog food. I'm not sure if this is the why of it
all, but I do know that every dog that can will go after cat food and
that it's not necessarily good for em.

Just move the cat food to a level or location the cat can get to but
the dog can't, and the problem is easily rectified.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/