Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness

Old June 14th 06, 09:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals

Default Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness

It is not cruel on pets to keep them for companionship as long as
you look after them properly.

Of course, it is a mutially beneficial reciprocal relationship - both the
pet and owner can have wonderful lives if they owner has the time and
patience to understand their pet and treat it with utmost respect and
dignity.

There is an argument for not keeping
single pets of naturally gregarious species

Such as?

and maybe arguments
against commercial breeding practices, of keeping pets in small
cages, etc.

Definately. Some pet shops here in Edinburgh are a disgrace. I have seen
1ft wide by maybe 8inch high boxes with 20 budgies in them - what a fricking
disgrace. All pets in any pet shop should be regulated and kept in a
national "minimum space per pet" area. Not going to happen though. Owners
too should be regulated. Take parrots for example - I know of some owners
who keep a bird locked in a TINY cage 24/7 and never talk to it. This
constitues animal cruelty and should be outlawed, however how can this be
regulated? It can't sadly.

but I am not aware of any physical or psychological
needs that pet animals have which a conscientious pet owner
can not cater for. I reckon the article you posted is no more
than ideology-driven propoganda.

Looks like it.

Gary.

Old June 15th 06, 01:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals

Badass Scotsman wrote:

There is an argument for not keeping
single pets of naturally gregarious species

Such as?

In the wild social animals such as dogs will naturally
choose to associate with members of their own species.
From this observed preference it seems likely that

a dog who spends most of his life outside the company
of other dogs is being socially deprived. The company
of humans may but may not be sufficient compensation.

Old June 15th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals

wrote in message
ups.com...

Badass Scotsman wrote:

There is an argument for not keeping
single pets of naturally gregarious species

Such as?

In the wild social animals such as dogs will naturally
choose to associate with members of their own species.
From this observed preference it seems likely that

a dog who spends most of his life outside the company
of other dogs is being socially deprived. The company
of humans may but may not be sufficient compensation.

Wow. You are so off base here. I find that even well socialized dogs (dogs
that spend ample time with other dogs) end up preferring the company of
their humans over that of other dogs by the time they're 3 years old. Often
earlier.

Tara