i can't get my puppy to sleep when i want her to...

Old June 15th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default i can't get my puppy to sleep when i want her to...

i've had my puppy for two weeks now. she's reaching 10 weeks old. the
first few nights i had her sleep in her crate but i realized she didn't
connect it with being her den/home so i moved it in the kitchen to try
to get her used to her crate. a couple of nights, i let her rest in my
bed. this past week i've tried making her run around and catch toys for
at least 20 minutes before i wanted her to go to sleep this worked for
a couple days, in tiring her out. At about 10-11pm she gets real
playful and wants to bite me, my roommate or my boyfriend. We end up
clapping to throw her off guard or giving her a toy to chew on. Each
day i'm getting a little less sleep because when i lie down, she thinks
it's playtime and she jumps on my bed trying to go for my face. The
past couple of nights, that has happened and one, i actually slept
sitting up. It seems to have gotten worse as the nights progressed but
i'm thinking maybe it might be a good idea to put her in her back in
her crate next to my bed with the door closed b/c now i know she can
jump on it ( i usually put some toys in there and hide treats). Once I
put her in there it'll take a few minutes of whining for her to calm
down and rest. Sometimes I feel like I punish her too much for biting.
We managed to housetrain her well, but when no one's keeping a close
eye on her, she likes to **** in random spots. So i decided to leave
her in the kitchen when we leave to go to work. I assume every little
thing i do or say to her will effect her development to becoming an
adult dog. i think the fact that in the morning she gets small doses of
playtime with everybody as we all wake up and leave. i'm there to feed
her and bond with her because she wont finish unless i'm next to her
and i'm there to pet her when she's eating. my roommate and bf are
there to play w/her and get her hyped up for the day. In the afternoon,
we're all awake together so i think that gets her hyped up. i've
explained to my roommate and boyfriend that what they're teaching her
and what i'm teaching her, is getting her confused. Now that makes me
wonder , is everything we're doing effect her sleep at night?

Old June 15th 06, 12:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 14 Jun 2006 16:11:16 -0700, "poogs1817"
wrote:

this past week i've tried making her run around and catch toys for
at least 20 minutes before i wanted her to go to sleep this worked for
a couple days, in tiring her out. At about 10-11pm she gets real
playful and wants to bite me, my roommate or my boyfriend.

It takes longer than 20 minutes to really tire out a 10 week old
puppy. Try having her run around, fetch, exhaust herself in various
ways throughout the afternoon and evening, then have a quiet petting
time right before going to bed. She still won't sleep through the
whole night since she is so young that she will wake up needing to go
potty, but she should sleep more. When we had a small pup around, we
took turns keeping him awake and active in the hours before bedtime to
be sure he didn't nap too close to bedtime to be able to fall asleep,
too.

Crating at night is fine if sleeping in the bed is just not working,
but if the dog is crated at night and crated all day while you are
gone, it isn't getting enough active and interactive time with people
to grow up to be the kind of adult dog you will love to have around
the house.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old June 15th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

So i decided to leave her in the kitchen when we leave to go to work.

A ten week puppy is way too young to leave alone while you go to work.
At night if you do have the puppy in a crate, put a ticking clock
underneath the bed the puppy lies on as this will mimic the heartbeat
of the mother.
It is too much to expect the puppy to stay in the crate all night as it
is young and your schedule is not in harmony with it's tender age. It
takes sacrifice to have a dog and someone needs to be there to comfort
and calm the dog. I used to take a lawn chair into the bedroom where I
had the crate and as soon as I heard the puppy waking up, I would take
it outside to pee and poop and then lie down with it in the lawn chair
and put it on my heart so it could hear the heart beat and sooth the
pup by cuddling it gently until it fell asleep and then put it gently
into the crate with the ticking clock and in a few nights the pup would
settle into the security that it was okay in the new home.
The part of leaving it alone while you work is not going to work.
Someone needs to come to the house who takes care of the pups needs.
It is like solitary confinement and we are talking about a little baby
puppy.
It is not convenient to meet the needs of the pup as you have to adjust
your lifestyle and make sacrifices, however it is a living being and if
it is too hot get out of the kitchen and find the pup a new home were
the people know the responsibilities that come with a puppy. And who
are also willing to make arrangements for when they go to work to get
the dogs needs met. This can be very expensive, and if the cost is too
high then perhaps a puppy is not something you thought through enough
before you got it.
Show Dog Bark

Old June 15th 06, 12:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 14 Jun 2006 21:02:16 -0700, "showdogbark" ,
clicked their heels and said:

A ten week puppy is way too young to leave alone while you go to work.

Do you suggest she quits her job?

At night if you do have the puppy in a crate, put a ticking clock
underneath the bed the puppy lies on as this will mimic the heartbeat
of the mother.

Not really.

It is too much to expect the puppy to stay in the crate all night as it
is young and your schedule is not in harmony with it's tender age.

Depends on the type of puppy. Have yet to get up for a retriever
puppy during the night.

It
takes sacrifice to have a dog and someone needs to be there to comfort
and calm the dog. I used to take a lawn chair into the bedroom where I
had the crate and as soon as I heard the puppy waking up, I would take
it outside to pee and poop and then lie down with it in the lawn chair
and put it on my heart so it could hear the heart beat and sooth the
pup by cuddling it gently until it fell asleep and then put it gently
into the crate with the ticking clock and in a few nights the pup would
settle into the security that it was okay in the new home.

I keep puppies in MY bedroom, and say a simple and sweet goodnight and
put them in the crate right next to my bed. We all sleep well.

The part of leaving it alone while you work is not going to work.

The OP didn't elaborate. Hiring a dog walker to come in 1-2x is a
perfectly reasonable thing if work is too far to do that, but the
puppy doesn't need an all day sitter.

--
Janet Boss
Old June 15th 06, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"showdogbark" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well said, SDB.

I remember years ago, when my (then teenaged) daughter and I took turns
sleeping on the kitchen floor in a sleeping bag to stay with a new puppy who
cried at night.

Dogs are a lot of work, as we all know, but for human beings who work,
having dogs is like having a second job. I hear of people who leave their
dogs unattended and unwalked, all day while they go to work, and I did it
myself years ago when I was employed. But in truth, the dogs suffer for
it, unless some adaptations are put into effect.

Getting a young person to take a puppy out after school, walk it, and
exercise and play with it for a while, can be a big help if you don't get
home from work till later. Coming home at lunch time, if it is at all
possible, can help too. I have done all of those with pups, so they
weren't in a crate all day, then again in a crate all night with not enough
free time to play and exercise and interact with people.

Then in the evenings, if you sit and watch TV all evening or socialize with
your own pursuits, your puppy doesn't get much benefit either. I used to
attend several dog training classes in different areas, or else work with
the dog myself at home, then run off to dog shows on the weekends. I
wasn't alone, and my kids all helped as well. So my dogs did get a lot of
attention and activities, and there was an entire support network to help.

Having a puppy is a huge committment. Think how it would feel to be your
own dog, and you will get an idea what life is like for him/her. I am not
saying that you shouldn't have a dog if you work, of course, but that you
need to really work at dog ownership too.

That said, if a puppy has been sufficiently socialized, fed, walked,
exercised, and it is bedtime and the family is trying to sleep, providing
some company for a very young puppy is fine. But at a certain point you do
want the puppy to learn to sleep alone in the crate at night, just like
you'd like your baby to sleep in its crib all night. A sharp NO! is not
out of line if a puppy is yapping at night. Note that I am not saying this
for a little baby puppy that is only just missing its mother and litter
mates.

Another trick is to cover the crate with an old quilt, and to make sure the
crate is in a dark place. We often found that helped, especially since
our crates were the old fashioned metal cage type crates, rather than the
newer, airline style crates, which are more closed in. The quilt muffled
noise, gave a sense of being closed in like a "den" and lent itself to
comfort and sleep.

--

Best Regards,

Evelyn
(to reply to me personally, remove 'sox')

Old June 15th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:11:19 GMT, "Evelyn Ruut"
, clicked their heels and said:

I remember years ago, when my (then teenaged) daughter and I took turns
sleeping on the kitchen floor in a sleeping bag to stay with a new puppy who
cried at night.

Why on earth wouldn't you just sleep in your bed and bring the puppy
into the bedroom?

Then in the evenings, if you sit and watch TV all evening or socialize with
your own pursuits, your puppy doesn't get much benefit either.

You don't interact with your dog while you watch TV? Mine ar snuggled
up against me.

That said, if a puppy has been sufficiently socialized, fed, walked,
exercised, and it is bedtime and the family is trying to sleep, providing
some company for a very young puppy is fine. But at a certain point you do
want the puppy to learn to sleep alone in the crate at night, just like
you'd like your baby to sleep in its crib all night. A sharp NO! is not
out of line if a puppy is yapping at night. Note that I am not saying this
for a little baby puppy that is only just missing its mother and litter
mates.

Again, why can't the crate be in the bedroom, which many of us do?
Solves the entire problem.

our crates were the old fashioned metal cage type crates, rather than the
newer, airline style crates, which are more closed in.

Where do you get that wire crates are old fashioned? They're
preferable to airline crates in many situations. I generally start a
puppy in an airline crate overnight, with a much larger wire crate for
times when I'm away from the house. They get used to both types, on
is in the bedroom and the other in the family room, and things run
smoothly. I still can't figure out why anyone would sleep on the
kitchen floor (although I did sleep on the bathroom floor with a sick
adult dog once, because the bedroom carpet would have suffered if he
had been in there.
--
Janet Boss
Old June 15th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Janet B wrote:
You don't interact with your dog while you watch TV? Mine ar snuggled
up against me.

Other than sleeping on the bathroom floor, I think that much
of what she's described is default behavior among people who
love dogs but maybe have less involvement in dog activities
that would lead them to become a little more aware of dog
behavior.

My mother is staying with me for a bit and it's been a real
eye-opener. She's someone who considers herself a
dog-lover, but shortly after she got here she asked
"Wouldn't it be nice to have a room in the house where the
dogs don't go?" My reaction was "I'm sorry, but I just
can't parse that - could you repeat it in English?" but I
think she's probably more typical than I am (heck, I know
she is). The dogs usually come into the living room and
snooze while I watch TV, and even though we're not
interacting directly (except for Crow, who crawls on top of
me and sprawls out) it's a bonding thing, which I think
never occurred to my mother or, I think, to most people.

Old June 15th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet B" wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:11:19 GMT, "Evelyn Ruut"
, clicked their heels and said:

I remember years ago, when my (then teenaged) daughter and I took turns
sleeping on the kitchen floor in a sleeping bag to stay with a new puppy
who
cried at night.

Why on earth wouldn't you just sleep in your bed and bring the puppy
into the bedroom?

At the time, I was married to a man who did not want the puppies brought
upstairs. We were also teaching the puppies to stay comfortable in the
kitchen.

Then in the evenings, if you sit and watch TV all evening or socialize
with
your own pursuits, your puppy doesn't get much benefit either.

You don't interact with your dog while you watch TV? Mine ar snuggled
up against me.

Not everyone allows their dogs on the furniture, but if the OP wanted to do
so, there is no reason why she could not. Another reason might be that not
everyone has the facilities that are puppy friendly where their TV is, but
again, if she wanted to do that she certainly could.

That said, if a puppy has been sufficiently socialized, fed, walked,
exercised, and it is bedtime and the family is trying to sleep, providing
some company for a very young puppy is fine. But at a certain point you
do
want the puppy to learn to sleep alone in the crate at night, just like
you'd like your baby to sleep in its crib all night. A sharp NO! is not
out of line if a puppy is yapping at night. Note that I am not saying
this
for a little baby puppy that is only just missing its mother and litter
mates.

Again, why can't the crate be in the bedroom, which many of us do?
Solves the entire problem.

The OP was teaching her puppy to remain in the kitchen. She could bring
the crate into the bedroom if she had room for it, of course.

our crates were the old fashioned metal cage type crates, rather than the
newer, airline style crates, which are more closed in.

Where do you get that wire crates are old fashioned?

I don't see them in the stores anymore. I bought mine more than 35 years
ago. Maybe they aren't old fashioned. :-)

They're
preferable to airline crates in many situations. I generally start a
puppy in an airline crate overnight, with a much larger wire crate for
times when I'm away from the house. They get used to both types, on
is in the bedroom and the other in the family room, and things run
smoothly. I still can't figure out why anyone would sleep on the
kitchen floor (although I did sleep on the bathroom floor with a sick
adult dog once, because the bedroom carpet would have suffered if he
had been in there.
--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

We slept on the kitchen floor a couple of times for the same reason.

My reply initially was directed referring to the case of very young baby
puppies who cried a lot when we first got them. After a while they were
fine in the crate, then later loose in the kitchen all the time, then later
through the whole house all the time.

I had as many as 5 German Shepherds loose in the house as pets and show
animals with no problems. Now I am down to two. A six year old GS female
and a young male pup of 5 mos. which we have only had for 5 days so far, and
he is almost housebroken already. :-)

Old June 15th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Janet B" wrote in message
On 15 Jun 2006 08:34:34 -0400, (Melinda Shore),
clicked their heels and said:

The dogs usually come into the living room and
snooze while I watch TV, and even though we're not
interacting directly (except for Crow, who crawls on top of
me and sprawls out) it's a bonding thing, which I think
never occurred to my mother or, I think, to most people.

I think you're right. At this moment, I'm sitting at the kitchen
island using my laptop (it migrated here and never left!). 3" to my
right in Lucy, snoozing. 1" to my left is Rudy, snoozing. 6" to my
left is Franklin, snoozing (see a pattern here? ;-D). This scenario
is pretty common, whether I'm sitting at a desk or table, sitting on
the couch, the bed, whatever. They surround me wherever I am. It's
quiet companionship, something they need and enjoy, as do I. If I'm
home, they're at my side - I wouldn't want it any other way. I guess
I'm still surprised when people prefer to exile their dogs for any
number of interesting reasons.

--
Janet Boss
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com

My dogs have free run of the house and snooze next to the bed at night as
adults, but I was replying to a puppy owner (see the subject line).

At the present, I have a 5 month old puppy whom I only have had for a few
days. Till I am somewhat sure he is trustworthy, (which will take me some
time to train him that way) I am sorry, but I must keep him mostly in the
kitchen. My kitchen is huge, and I am in there with him most of the time.
I also take him with me on leash into the other rooms of the house,
especially after he's been walked and I am pretty sure he won't be peeing on
the rugs.

I am a little bit older than I was when I raised dogs in the past, and
cleaning carpets is harder for me, so I have to work at it a little more,
while raising this pup. :-)