Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness

Old June 17th 06, 02:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

Default Pet Ownership - Killing Through Kindness

Evelyn Ruut wrote:

"Leif Erikson" wrote in message
link.net...
Evelyn Ruut wrote:

Showdogbark, I have a neighbor who is very wise of the ways of animals of
the forest. He is a hunter, but also quite the naturalist. He says it
is common for coyotes to lure domesticated dogs to the woods for the pack
to kill. They often send a female in heat for this job.

Total bullshit.

Upon what do you base this claim? If indeed it is bullshit, you need to
have some sort of explanation. My neighbor has spent 70 years in the
woods. He might have some sort of mistaken belief in his animal lore, but
honestly, he is pretty sharp. What are your credentials that would lend
credibility to your "bullshit" claim? Your two word answer is
insufficient.

I know of numerous accounts of coyotes luring dogs into ambush and
eating them. A literary account is by Norman McLean (author of _A
River Runs Through It_). My husband heard others from old-time
coon and varmint hunters he used to hunt with. The "female in heat"
part is new to me, though.

Amy Dahl

Old June 17th 06, 02:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

Amy Dahl composed these thoughts and posted them
:

Evelyn Ruut wrote:

[...]

A couple of years ago, my neighbors turned their two black and tan
coonhounds out at 11pm for a last night potty break. When they didn't
come in, they went hunting for them. They found them back in the woods
(they followed the noise) and packs of coyotes had ambushed them and
killed them.

There have been many accounts of coyotes snatching small dogs from their
own yards. The neighbors coonhounds are the largest dogs in multiple
numbers that I have heard of being killed by coyotes.
Old June 17th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

. ..

Evelyn Ruut wrote:

[...]

I notice that the person who said "Total Bullshit" hasn't replied to this
thread again. I would like to see if he or she is capable of civilized
discourse, or just to make nasty remarks. I am killfiling all the problem
people as I go along in this group. There are some decent ones here,
(myself among them) and if we don't talk to the nasties they will go away.

--

Best Regards,

Evelyn
(to reply to me personally, remove 'sox')

Old June 17th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

"Evelyn Ruut" composed these thoughts and
posted them :

I am killfiling all the problem
people as I go along in this group. There are some decent ones here,
(myself among them) and if we don't talk to the nasties they will go
away.

If you killfile them, they do appear to go away. But they never really go
away and remain persistant problems to those without killfiles
Old June 17th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

Amy Dahl said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I know of numerous accounts of coyotes luring dogs into
ambush and eating them. A literary account is by Norman
McLean (author of _A River Runs Through It_). My husband
heard others from old-time coon and varmint hunters he used
to hunt with.

I've seen coyotes using play to lure dogs. There are a lot of
coyotes within my city's limits.

The "female in heat" part is new to me, though.

I've heard of it, but never seen it. Perhaps some are confusing
play bows with flagging?

Old June 17th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

Rocky wrote:

I've heard of it, but never seen it. Perhaps some are confusing
play bows with flagging?

I agree. I've seen coyotes lure dogs many, many times and the
playbowing is almost always part of it. What I have found interesting,
though, is that they save the luring for times when the dog is near
human habitation, like a back yard. If you're out with a dog on the
coyote's ground, they tend to do the circle, bite from behind thing
instead of luring. I was sitting on Mt. Diablo late one night, playing
victim for sardog training, and got called in. The BC who'd been
looking for me had a pretty good bite on her rump from a coyote. His
handler said she'd been aware of them following, then circling, and had
just called her dog in closer to her when they hit. Can't argue with
the handler's logic - "I'm not going to risk my dog for a practice
search".

Lynn K.

Old June 17th 06, 06:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,talk.politics.animals

Rocky wrote:

Amy Dahl said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I know of numerous accounts of coyotes luring dogs into
ambush and eating them. A literary account is by Norman
McLean (author of _A River Runs Through It_). My husband
heard others from old-time coon and varmint hunters he used
to hunt with.

I've seen coyotes using play to lure dogs. There are a lot of
coyotes within my city's limits.

The "female in heat" part is new to me, though.

I've heard of it, but never seen it. Perhaps some are confusing
play bows with flagging?

I'm not saying it doesn't happen just because I haven't heard of it!
Actually, correction--it's not new to me. I think it happened in
Jack London's "White Fang." Of course that was fiction. MacLean's
account of "the cook's dog" is supposed to be factual. In the case of
the cook's dog, the dog, a coyote killer, was pursuing a coyote
presumably
intent upon killing it, when it was ambushed by three other coyotes.

The ending was a little different to what we have been talking about
here.
MacLean says something like, "what the coyotes didn't know was that
'four coyotes' was what the cook's dog was hoping for."

Amy Dahl