poodle shedding

Old June 19th 06, 01:00 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

Default poodle shedding

My 10 month old mini poodle has started shedding recently. I am finding
hair everywhere. Her coat doesn't have patches where you can tell its
falling out and by the looks of her, you wouldn't notice. The only reason I
know it is happening is because it is all over on my bed, floor, clothes,
etc. I googled "poodle hair loss" and found some info but I am going to
call the vet tomorrow to see what they say. I imagine they will need to run
some tests? Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I need to worry?
Could this be related to being in heat at all? THANKS for any responses.

Old June 19th 06, 01:16 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" wrote in message
My 10 month old mini poodle has started shedding recently. I am finding
hair everywhere. Her coat doesn't have patches where you can tell its
falling out and by the looks of her, you wouldn't notice. The only reason
I know it is happening is because it is all over on my bed, floor,
clothes, etc. I googled "poodle hair loss" and found some info but I am
going to call the vet tomorrow to see what they say. I imagine they will
need to run some tests? Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I
need to worry? Could this be related to being in heat at all? THANKS for
any responses.

At ten months your dog is losing puppy coat as the adult coat starts to come
in. Also, it is normal for a female to drop a bit of coat after a heat
cycle.
It is odd, though, for her to drop so much all at once. While Poodles are
considered "non-shedders" by some, they do still lose dead hair- it's just
that it usually remains in the coat until it is brushed out.

Is she scratching? The very act of scratching herself can allow nails to
pull out coat- this would be my first thought. Look in her ears for gunk,
check closely for fleas, and examine her skin. Even dry skin can cause
excessive itching, as will shampoo residue left in after a bath.

Does the dog see a groomer? What do they think?
Seeing a veterinarian is never a bad idea as any number of things can cause
hair loss- scabies, demodex, ringworm, etc. I am betting she is scratching
at herself for some reason.

--
Toni
http://www.cearbhaill.com/rules.htm

Old June 19th 06, 03:27 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

My 10 month old mini poodle has started shedding recently.
I am finding hair everywhere. Her coat doesn't have
patches where you can tell its falling out and by the looks
of her, you wouldn't notice. The only reason I know it is
happening is because it is all over on my bed, floor,
clothes, etc. I googled "poodle hair loss" and found some
info but I am going to call the vet tomorrow to see what
they say.

Don't imagine the worst. Poodles shed - excess fur can get
caught up in the coat, reach the saturation point, and slough.
If you groom her regularly and well, then this isn't the issue.

Old June 19th 06, 03:56 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

My 10 month old mini poodle has started shedding recently.
I am finding hair everywhere. Her coat doesn't have
patches where you can tell its falling out and by the looks
of her, you wouldn't notice. The only reason I know it is
happening is because it is all over on my bed, floor,
clothes, etc. I googled "poodle hair loss" and found some
info but I am going to call the vet tomorrow to see what
they say.

Don't imagine the worst. Poodles shed - excess fur can get
caught up in the coat, reach the saturation point, and slough.
If you groom her regularly and well, then this isn't the issue.

Hello, thanks for the reply....

I think I do a good job grooming her so I agree that this probably isn't the
issue. Cali gets brushed several times a week with a slicker brush and fine
tooth comb. When I am done, my brush has picked up some dead, loose hair.
I plan to start brushing her daily soon, which is what it used to be before
work got crazy. Her coat is pretty long and hasn't had a mat in it yet
(which I assumed is caused by the dead hair not being brushed out). I am
glad about that because Maui's is kinda long and gets mats in it easily.
They are both in water several times a day and that really seems to disagree
with Maui's coat because everytime he gets wet, he has another mat in his
hair by the time he's dry. He also gets brushed several times a week (it
used to be daily too and it will be daily again soon). Cali's hair doesn't
seem to be affected by the water, which is nice. Maui loves the water so of
course I won't make him stop going in but it is getting to be a bit much so
he's probably getting a trim this week.

Old June 19th 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

"MauiJNP" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I think I do a good job grooming her so I agree that this
probably isn't the issue.

Then - what Toni said. She know more about grooming than anyone
else I know.

Old June 19th 06, 04:02 AM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

My 10 month old mini poodle has started shedding recently. I am finding
hair everywhere. Her coat doesn't have patches where you can tell its
falling out and by the looks of her, you wouldn't notice. The only
reason I know it is happening is because it is all over on my bed, floor,
clothes, etc. I googled "poodle hair loss" and found some info but I am
going to call the vet tomorrow to see what they say. I imagine they will
need to run some tests? Does anyone have any experience with this? Do I
need to worry? Could this be related to being in heat at all? THANKS for
any responses.

At ten months your dog is losing puppy coat as the adult coat starts to
come in. Also, it is normal for a female to drop a bit of coat after a
heat cycle.

ok, thanks for the info. I didn't realize she'd be losing her coat already
and didn't know about the heat thing.

It is odd, though, for her to drop so much all at once.

I don't like the sound of that.

While Poodles are considered "non-shedders" by some, they do still lose
dead hair- it's just that it usually remains in the coat until it is
brushed out.

Is she scratching?

yes, actually she is.

The very act of scratching herself can allow nails to pull out coat- this
would be my first thought.

I never thought she could be pulling the hair out with her nails (not sure
why I didn't think of that sooner)

Look in her ears for gunk, check closely for fleas, and examine her skin.
Even dry skin can cause excessive itching, as will shampoo residue left in
after a bath.

her skin looks fine

Does the dog see a groomer?

A very long time ago. I bought some supplies (a grooming table, clippers,
scissors, sprays, etc) and do it myself at home

What do they think?
Seeing a veterinarian is never a bad idea as any number of things can
cause hair loss- scabies, demodex, ringworm, etc. I am betting she is
scratching at herself for some reason.

thanks for the input! it was good help!

Old June 19th 06, 09:19 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

A friend of mine had a poodle that went through some nasty shedding issues.
IIRC (and its been a while since she told me about it) vet kept trying the
dog on different meds, didn't tackle the obvious. Food allergies. She
actually asked the vet about it, and they told her it wasn't allergies,
eventually she got fed up, changed foods despite what the vet said...
strangely no more shedding.

What are you feeding her?

Dale

Old June 21st 06, 02:08 PM posted to alt.med.veterinary,rec.pets.dogs.health

A friend of mine had a poodle that went through some nasty shedding issues.
IIRC (and its been a while since she told me about it) vet kept trying the
dog on different meds, didn't tackle the obvious. Food allergies. She
actually asked the vet about it, and they told her it wasn't allergies,
eventually she got fed up, changed foods despite what the vet said...
strangely no more shedding.

What are you feeding her?

she eats Pro Plan but I started switching her to a lamb based food
yesterday.

low shedding breeds for allergy sufferers MauiJNP Dog health 4 November 7th 05 01:48 AM
HELP... In finding a Healthy Toy Poodle! Dan Jensen Dog breeds 1 April 22nd 05 06:49 AM
shedding stuckhere Dogs - general 0 January 8th 05 12:29 AM
Barking Poodle Saves Tennessee Family From Their Burning Home [email protected] Dog behavior 0 September 28th 04 06:03 AM
standard poodle?? angelarenae Dog breeds 6 April 23rd 04 06:08 PM