Help With 2 problems

Old June 20th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Help With 2 problems

I am new to this forum and would like some advice on 2 problems I am
having with a my new puppy Tanna, a 11 week old Rot. Blk Lab mix, that
I rescued from the pound last week. She is so cute and she is VERY
intelligent, she puts her toys back in their box and we didn't even
train her.

The first problem is her nipping, I know that she is a puppy, but my
wife is disabled and in a wheelchair unable to move her legs and feet,
so when the cute little puppy goes after toes it is a large problem. I
want to train her not to bite humans but on the same hand I want to
train her to TUG (pull open doors etc.) for my wife.

The second problem is not Tanna but rather the neighbors dog, buddy, he
is an incessent barker who I have tried to befreind but gets very
aggressive and grows and snapps when I go to that side of my back yard.
He is a "backyard" dog, his owner know that he is a barker and
corrects him when they are around. Buddy goes birzerk when I walk
Tanna around the corner of the house to go potty, scaring her. I can
reassure her and she will go over to her potty spot with me. I even
introduced them (he is ok with her but HATES me) I kept a hose handy to
spray him if her went for Tanna, which he got a nose full for twice.
He whines when I work Tanna or play with her in the back yard (once he
stops barking) I am wondering what I can do short of shooting the damn
pest.(I think that he is a dangerous animal, and he has gone after my
cat and me a number of times when he was loose)

Any advice and help would be appreciated

Jack

Old June 20th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

armyguy wrote:

I am new to this forum and would like some advice on 2 problems I am
having with a my new puppy Tanna, a 11 week old Rot. Blk Lab mix, that
I rescued from the pound last week. She is so cute and she is VERY
intelligent, she puts her toys back in their box and we didn't even
train her.

The first problem is her nipping, I know that she is a puppy, but my
wife is disabled and in a wheelchair unable to move her legs and feet,
so when the cute little puppy goes after toes it is a large problem. I
want to train her not to bite humans but on the same hand I want to
train her to TUG (pull open doors etc.) for my wife.

Get her into a puppy class as soon as possible. Because of the special
issues faced in your household, relying on written advice from strangers
is going to be especially hazardous.

The second problem is not Tanna but rather the neighbors dog, buddy, he
is an incessent barker who I have tried to befreind but gets very
aggressive and grows and snapps when I go to that side of my back yard.
He is a "backyard" dog, his owner know that he is a barker and
corrects him when they are around. Buddy goes birzerk when I walk
Tanna around the corner of the house to go potty, scaring her. I can
reassure her and she will go over to her potty spot with me. I even
introduced them (he is ok with her but HATES me) I kept a hose handy to
spray him if her went for Tanna, which he got a nose full for twice.
He whines when I work Tanna or play with her in the back yard (once he
stops barking) I am wondering what I can do short of shooting the damn
pest.(I think that he is a dangerous animal, and he has gone after my
cat and me a number of times when he was loose)

The obvious solution is to fence your yard. If this is prohibited by
neighborhood or city covenants and talking to your neighbor fails you
may have to resort to calling animal control every time the neighbor's
dog is running loose. You shouldn't have to be afraid in your own yard.

Kathleen

Old June 20th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Ok

First to Jerry, If you don't have anything useful to say, please don't
use my string to vent on personal issues.

Second if you do have some suggestions, please post them in a way that
I can understand, not this don't do this 'clip' and 'so and so said',
just spit it out please

I welcome advice, my wife has more expierence than me with dogs because
she had a service dog for 4 years, but I worry about such aggresive
behavior ( a trait of the breed, that is heavily affected by the owner)
I know that it is normal puppy romping and that she is still getting
used to a new home, but.... her teeth are sharp.

thanks for the advice

Jack

Old June 21st 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 20 Jun 2006 13:45:10 -0700, "armyguy" wrote:

First to Jerry,...

I welcome advice,...

First, filter Jerry Howe. His screen name changes, but his twisted
remarks and screwy typos remain constant.

I don't have much puppy experience.

Remember, dogs always like to chew, but your puppy will eventually pass
through this "chew everything phase." Some protective booties--applied
with bitter apple--might help. A water pistol or spray bottle might work
well. Of course, Labs like water; so, this might not be a deterrent.

Make certain your puppy has plenty of yummy things to chew on. Have your
wife offer an appropriate item in lieu of her feet; include a lot of
praise, when your puppy accepts the alternative item.

Depending who you talk with, rawhide is a great chew, but chips or
compressed rawhide--not the ground and formed version.

________________________
Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old June 21st 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 20 Jun 2006 01:46:06 -0700, "armyguy" wrote:

I am new to this forum and would like some advice on 2 problems...

Is there a fence between you and your neighbor? Does your neighbor mind
if you work with Buddy? [Some people want their dog to be miserable and
aggressive.] When Buddy is not running at large, he is chained or
tethered in the back yard? (Probably the fastest way to make any dog
aggressive.) What breed/mix does Buddy appear to be?

Frankly, Buddy believes he is doing his job: guarding. Can Buddy learn
to tolerate you? Sure! He is probably desperate for attention, and you
could provide some of that---IF your neighbor doesn't object. If you two
reach an agreement, learn to respect Buddy for doing his job. Build a
friendship with Buddy by treats and calm conversation. Let go of your
fear.

Your puppy will sense your concerns; so, try not to reveal too much.

I see that Buddy has come after you, and your cat. My dogs (Chow Chow)
would go after your cat, but you would be safe. Handling an attacking
dog is probably something we need not address right now.

It sounds like Buddy is only one degree away from being abusive
environment. IMHO. Buddy's owner is the "damn pest" that deserves to be
shot: not Buddy.

________________________
Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old June 22nd 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

While you are working on stopping the nipping you might want to get some
bitter apple. You can usually find it at Petco or your local farm supply
maybe. I would use it in conjuntion to the training by spraying it on your
wifes shoes, slippers or even spraying her socks lightly with it. The stuff
taste awful and isn't harmful to the dog. After tasting it once or twice it
turns them off from biting and chewing. I used it on my electric cords in
the house to keep Lady from chewing them and sprayed sneakers and shoes
because of her destroying shoes.

Celeste

oups.com...

Old June 26th 06, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
armyguy

Well Bitter Apple didn't work, she just licks it off of the sock
instead of nipping
but then this is a dog that likes pepperchini.

Jack

Old June 27th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
showdogbark

armyguy wrote:
[...]

Hi Jack,
You sound like you need more than a dog training class. To open doors
for disabled people takes the work of trainers who specialize in dogs
who work with the disabled. Now most people think it is only the seeing
eye dog people who do this work for the blind, not true. I have a
disabled friend who had her and her dog train at a place where they
train dogs for the disabled for free.
I do not know where she lives now or I would let you know the name of
the place and it's contacts in other places. The dog gets certified
like a seeing eye dog, and you can take it on planes, in hotels,
everywhere.
It will not learn to open doors by nipping on your wife's toes.
Show Dog Bark