anyone have experience with animal control?

Old June 20th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default anyone have experience with animal control?

help! Manu is in serious trouble. two days ago, i had some gardners
come do some work on my yard. when they left, they shut the gate, but
it was not completely latched. i checked it, and thought it was
latched, but apparently it was not latched completely.

My family came by, and i put Manu into the yard because my sister is
afraid of dogs. he decided to jump up at the gate (he's never done
this before - i guess he saw the gardners use it and realized it was a
door), and managed to open it. he took off before i could stop him.

he ran over to the local park, with me chasing, where there was a guy
with a small dog (off leash). i yelled to please pick up his dog,
which he did. Manu then jumped up and sniffed at the dog. he did not
bite. however, in my county, jumping on someone is considered an
aggressive act. the guy called 911, the police came and took his
statement. they will send a report to animal control. additional
factors were that there were children in the park and of course Manu's
breed (pit bull for anyone who doesn't know). after this incident, i
was terrified.

then it got worse. yesterday night, when i opened the door for a
delivery, he bolted the front door. he has not tried this in over a
year, has been excellent in his stay. i don't know what happened.

he immediately ran to the park, where an off-leash, intact male Golden
ran up to him to check him out. being a dog aggressive pit bull, he
took this as in invitation for a scrap. he threw the Golden down and
put his mouth on the dog's neck. i was again running that direction,
but the owner was already screaming and freaking out, which of course
freaked out her kids too. the Golden was fighting back hard, and Manu
did not injure him. I pulled Manu off, and the woman refused to pull
her dog back because she was afraid of being bit. i guess she was
right, because the Golden bit me trying to come back at Manu, which he
did three times before i kicked him off. Woman called 911, screaming
"what if it was a child!!!" cops came, said same thing. woman says
her children are traumatized. i have offered to pay for a vet check
and even counceling for her kids.

two strikes in two days, and my county takes breed into consideration.
there are a few things that can happen. he can be declared vicious and
required to be muzzled. i can be required to get him out of the county
in 48 hours. he can be put to sleep. i can go to jail.

i'm terrified. has anyone been in a similar experience? i'm putting
strong bolts on the gate, but i don't know what else to do. i'm
considering having a friend take him so he won't be confiscated and put
to sleep. i don't know if this will create more trouble though.

help?
-kelly

Old June 20th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 20 Jun 2006 11:17:35 -0700, "culprit" ,
clicked their heels and said:
then it got worse.

I'm really sorry Kelly. You need to know your specific laws. When I
chaired the vicious dog board here, a dog didn't have to bite to be
deemed vicious (which meant death BTW). Breed was not a
consideration, just actions. The action of attacking the Golden COULD
be viewed with SOME leniance (did the Golden provoke with a body
posture, snarl, or anything nobody wasn't close enough to see?). That
COULD get you a reprieve, but I'd expect that there may be some hefty
restrictions.

--
Janet Boss
Old June 20th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet B wrote:

I'm really sorry Kelly. You need to know your specific laws. When I
chaired the vicious dog board here, a dog didn't have to bite to be
deemed vicious (which meant death BTW). Breed was not a
consideration, just actions. The action of attacking the Golden COULD
be viewed with SOME leniance (did the Golden provoke with a body
posture, snarl, or anything nobody wasn't close enough to see?). That
COULD get you a reprieve, but I'd expect that there may be some hefty
restrictions.

yeah, dogs don't have to bite here to be deemed vicious (they use the
term dangerous). they can call him "potentially dangerous", which will
give him one more chance, or be declared dangerous, which means either
muzzle or death. everything is up to the particular animal control
officer, though there is an option to appeal. apparently breed is a
*big* factor in deciding the fate of the dog (i didn't know this when i
moved here, or i would have reconsidered).

i didn't see the body posture of the Golden, and the woman who owned
the dog was so angry at me ("it could have been a child!!!"), that i
have no doubt she will lie, if she even knows anything about dogs and
posturing. though i will admit that it's quite possible that Manu took
some friendly sniffing as reason to attack. i've got him to the point
where he will sit and take sniffing or whatever from unknown dogs when
he's on leash, but when he's running free, all bets are off.

also, some of her friends walked by afterwards, and were witnesses to
my anger at the woman's treatment of me, so they also decided i'm an
eeevil owner of an eeevil dog and all gave statements to the police.
one of the cops even threatened to arrest me for talking back when i
told him dog aggression does not equal human aggression. the other cop
was nice, came over to pet Manu, and said he liked pits and would tell
animal control that Manu is not human aggressive (i hope this helps my
case).

living in a suburban neighborhood is NOT for me. i need to go back to
the woods.

-kelly

Old June 20th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"culprit" wrote in news:1150827455.459864.68990
@g10g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

i'm terrified. has anyone been in a similar experience? i'm putting
strong bolts on the gate, but i don't know what else to do. i'm
considering having a friend take him so he won't be confiscated and put
to sleep. i don't know if this will create more trouble though.

Kelly, I'm so sorry to hear about this. I don't have any experience with
AC, but you really do have all my sympathy.

My guess is that you will be able to show that you are a responsible dog
owner and that you take these incidents seriously. You can take some
additional steps to make sure he doesn't escape again.

I also think that giving him to a friend will backfire on you -- wouldn't
they just think you were being uncooperative and order you to produce
him?

Although I myself would not be above moving in the dead of night... it's
drastic, but fail safe.

--
Catherine
& Zoe the cockerchow
Old June 20th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

ceb wrote:

Although I myself would not be above moving in the dead of night... it's
drastic, but fail safe.

the thought has crossed my mind. :-)

-kelly

Old June 21st 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Oh, dear. Right now the critical things you need to do are to make
sure the house a physical fortress Manu can never get out of again, and
make sure you have all the license and vaccination stuff in order. I
found it also helps a lot to make notes about every conversation you
have with AC, immediately afterwards. It's hard to remember all the
exchanges when you're so stressed.

Lynn K.

Old June 21st 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 20 Jun 2006 11:37:35 -0700, "culprit" wrote:

Janet B wrote:

[...]

There may not be much that you can do, but at least make absolutely
sure that your gates, fences and doors are unassailable and you have a
plan for how this is never going to happen again immediately. The
worse options are taken when they see someone who doesn't seem to take
it seriously or get things done even if they admit with lip service
that it should be done. At least you will not push them to the
negative side if they come not completely having made up their mind
yet about how seriously to take the situation if you have all your
safety ducks in a row when they get there.

I wouldn't take the dog to someone else because it might look like you
are afraid that if the investigators actually meet the dog, worse will
happen to you, but you might be planning on getting the dog back from
your friend when the investigation is over. You can, however, let
them know that you have someone willing to take the dog who is out of
their jurisdiction if they tell you they are leaning toward drastic
circumstances. If the friend is in the same jurisdiction, don't
bother even that because it won't save them anything or solve any of
their problems, it will just look worse if the dog continues to be a
problem at its new home, in their view. You'd better have a name,
address and phone number so they can verify that the person is in fact
willing to take and keep the dog and they'd better be prepared to
explain how they are going to keep Manu from being a problem in future
or it will just look like you are trying to con them, which pisses
investigators off. Think about what you would see if you worked in a
job like theirs and where you would be impressed and where you would
be jaded and act accordingly.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old June 21st 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

culprit wrote:
[...]

Wow you sure have not trained your dog to actually have the nerve to
say that the dog is "DOG AGGRESSIVE"
Since you obviously have not trained him and a normal dog is not
aggressive unless mishandled, I had a Neapolitan mastiff that would
make dogs run just from her stare if they even tried to take her on,
not once did she have body to body aggression, once when a dog went for
the jugular on my dog Ruby, my Mastiff came and with her but only threw
the dog off the neck of Ruby, and no aggression after that.
Your dog sounds dangerous as you have not trained him properly or you
would not make such a statement or else you are perpetuating breed
specific legislation by that statement and that is how your dog will
get killed with that attitude about pit bulls rotties and mastiffs.
You can not use a yard to have as your way of training your dog and
hope no one ever opens the fence. This is called magical thinking in
therapy. YOU NEED TO TRAIN YOUR DOG. Or else there will be consequences
since there are too many pit bull owners who leave their dog in the
yard and it escalates the problem.
And since he is "DOG AGGRESSIVE" what are you doing having him at large
and yelling at people to watch out for their dogs?
Poor dog, may get put down because of your neglect to train it.
Show Dog Bark

Old June 21st 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

showdogbark wrote:
"Being a dog aggressive pit bull"
Wow you sure have not trained your dog to actually have the nerve to
say that the dog is "DOG AGGRESSIVE"
Since you obviously have not trained him and a normal dog is not
aggressive unless mishandled,

Never mind that Manu is a pitbill and dog aggression often goes with
the breed. And kelly has been working with the dog and training him.

snip a bunch of drivel

And since he is "DOG AGGRESSIVE" what are you doing having him at large

and yelling at people to watch out for their dogs?

Hello, did you read kelly's post? She did not have him intentionally
at large.
Poor dog, may get put down because of your neglect to train it.
Show Dog Bark

You are a sock puppet. Into the bin you go.

Beth

Old June 21st 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

showdogbark wrote:

"Being a dog aggressive pit bull"
Wow you sure have not trained your dog to actually have the nerve to
say that the dog is "DOG AGGRESSIVE"

wow, who unlocked the doors to the loony bin this time?

-kelly