Brittany Behavior Question

Old June 23rd 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default Brittany Behavior Question

I was wondering if you folks could advise me - I've been researching (on the
web) all the various dog breeds and am very interested in adopting a
Brittany however one thing that just about every web site notes about the
dogs is a high energy level! Now, I would have just brushed right by this
had I seen it on one or two sites, but EVERY site mentions this !!!! I'm
looking to adopt a dog that will go for daily walks with me (30-45min per
day avg), rides in the car every day, and be an all around friend and
companion to both me and an elderly parent that lives at home with me.
Therein lies my concern - when I'm at work I'm worried that a Brittany may
be too much to handle if she gets restless from all this 'energy' they
reportedly have and may become disruptive to my mother. Now, my mother is
not an invalid, is quite mobile, and has much experience with dogs over the
years, and has recently had to put a dog down so there is a big hole in her
heart that needs filling! Everything I read about the Brittany seems to
point to a Brittany as the perfect breed - are these sites overplaying the
'energy level' of this breed? Or, would I be making a huge mistake by
adopting one for our circumstances? Hope you can help.

Note: I also posted this same thread to rec.pets.dogs.behavior so if you see
it there, please don't think I'm a cross posting crazy person - I'm just
trying my best to get an answer to this question. I kept the posts seperate
so that the two groups wouldn't cross post to each other as a courtesy to
you!

--
Rick Piatt

Old June 24th 06, 11:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Therein lies my concern - when I'm at work I'm worried that a Brittany may
be too much to handle if she gets restless from all this 'energy' they
reportedly have and may become disruptive to my mother. Now, my mother is
not an invalid, is quite mobile, and has much experience with dogs over
the
years, and has recently had to put a dog down so there is a big hole in
her
heart that needs filling! Everything I read about the Brittany seems to
point to a Brittany as the perfect breed - are these sites overplaying the
'energy level' of this breed? Or, would I be making a huge mistake by
adopting one for our circumstances? Hope you can help.

Talk to Brittany rescue or the breed club & see if you can find a middle
aged or retired show dog.
IMO by the age of six they are wonderful, before that..............!

Often rescues end up with dogs of 4 years plus as so many people won't
consider the older dogs.

BTW can your mother play ball? ;o)
My Mum is hemiplegic & in a wheelchair but can play ball to keep her & the
dog entertained.

Old June 24th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Thanks for the reply Sue. I also posted this same thread to
rec.pets.dogs.behavior and based on replies I got there, a chance meeting
with a man walking his Brittany down the street (that was a wild
coincidence), and my own gut feeling, I am leaning towards exactly what you
outlined. I KNOW I would not want a puppy - heck, IMO, Middle Aged and
Older dogs are just cool! And, I love the idea of a rescue situation. The
think I'm working through now is "do I really have enough time to exercise
the dog on a regular basis" - obviously as they get older this need is less,
but I still want to be sure I can be there for the dog since his/her needs
must be paramount. Anyway ... I'm still thinking about it and sure do
appreciate you taking the time to assist me in my decision making process.
--
Rick Piatt

o.uk...