Introducing a second peepad?

Old June 29th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Cameron

Default Introducing a second peepad?

So my Chihuahua is now about 6 months old. When I allow him to run free
downstairs he will go over and pee/poo on his pee pad 100% on the time if I
havnt already taken him outside. Sometimes the poo isnt on the pad but it
is within inches of it. I'm unsure how to get him to always go on the pad
though.

But what I have been trying to do for weeks is introduce a new pee pad
upstairs. I use the same tactics I did downstairs. When he goes on the
floor I put in on the pad, I show it to him, I give him treats, etc. He
picked up on this after just a few days downstairs but upstairs its like he
has no idea what the pee pad is.

I guess it is important to note that he does not tear up the pee pads in
either location.
Does anyone have any tips on how to get him to start using the pee pad
upstairs?

Hopefully I can get a giant reply from the spammer guy who does every other
letter in caps.

Thanks!
--Cam

Old June 29th 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:49:28 -0500, "Cameron" wrote:

[...]

What was the rule for upstairs before you put down the second pee pad?
If you would take him out or down to the downstairs pee pad, he may be
confused. Sometimes people think that because a dog is doing what
they were trying to teach it, the dog must have figured out exactly
what the person wanted in every way. But it doesn't always work that
way. You think the dog is going on the pee pad downstairs because he
understands that pee and poop go on the pad, but he could have a whole
different view even though the result downstairs is the same. But
that view may not translate to yours when you move upstairs. Why
aren't you sticking to the one pee pad downstairs? Has he been having
accidents upstairs?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old June 30th 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Cameron

Thanks for the reply! I guess I should have given more information to what
I was doing.

Downstairs, at first the dog was not allowed to do anything if I wasn't
watching him. This was to make sure I could yell out if he started to go
and could redirect him to the peepad. Once he was 75% trained on the pad I
started letting him run around in my living room and kitchen (blocked by
baby gates) when I was in the room with him.

When I would take him upstairs with me it would just be to go to bed and I
did not let him run around at all. Now I would like to let him run around
in my computer room when I am on the computer or bedroom when I am in there.
Again, I am making him stay in these two rooms via baby gates. So there has
not been a period of time where he was allowed to run free upstairs and poop
wildly.

If we were upstairs and I could tell that he had to go potty, I would either
take him outside or take him downstairs to the pad depending on the weather.

On a totally seperate note, I was letting him stay out of the crate during
the 8 hours I am at work, so I didnt have to come home every day for lunch.
He could run around in the living room and kitchen and would potty on his
pee pad. He could even play with the cats. However, at about 5 months old
(6 months now) he started chewing. He ate holes in the couch, shoes, table
legs, like some kind of rabid monster. So now I've been crating him again
during the day. I assume that eventually he will grow out of this phase?

Thanks,
--C

Old June 30th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 11:16:47 -0500, "Cameron" wrote:

If we were upstairs and I could tell that he had to go potty, I would either
take him outside or take him downstairs to the pad depending on the weather.

I think you would be better off continuing the training you have
already done, especially since you are talking about being upstairs
with him. You have already taught him that he is not to go potty
upstairs by taking him out or downstairs. Continue with that as he
runs around upstairs and he should go to his downstairs pee pad when
he has to go. By now giving him an upstairs potty place, you may bed
confusing him. That could backfire on you.

On a totally seperate note, I was letting him stay out of the crate during
the 8 hours I am at work, so I didnt have to come home every day for lunch.
He could run around in the living room and kitchen and would potty on his
pee pad. He could even play with the cats. However, at about 5 months old
(6 months now) he started chewing. He ate holes in the couch, shoes, table
legs, like some kind of rabid monster. So now I've been crating him again
during the day. I assume that eventually he will grow out of this phase?

Yes, just as teething babies grow out of chewing everything they can
get into their mouths. However, he won't grow out of liking all
chewing just because he will no longer be teething. Even grown dogs
like to chew. Give him safe and acceptable things to chew on and
watch him. When he goes for something that is not his chew toy, tell
him no and give him one of his chew toys instead. Praise him when he
chews that. This will help him in the chewing stage and beyond. I
often soaked my dogs' chew items in bouillon so that the safe items
would have a distinctive smell and would also taste better than the
couch. At least one dog still really liked leather, though, so you
still have to keep forbidden items put away and/or crate him when you
aren't diligently supervising.

Old July 1st 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 17:05:31 -0500, "Cameron" wrote:

Thanks again! I have been telling him no and giving him something to chew
on. I like to buy him a new toy once a week or so when I'm at the store :-)
So he has quite a few that he chews on and quite a few that he has
destroyed.

About the stairs thing. He has yet to go up or down the stairs, and I would
almost be scared for him to. They are hard wood and he's pretty clumsy. He
is also only 4 pounds so he's not a big fellow.

If your only option is an upstairs pee pad, you can continue what you
are doing to train him to it like you did the downstairs pee pad. Or
you can get stair treads. My stairs are carpeted right now, but are
slated to change in my next stage of home improvements. I intend to
put down treads or a stair lining carpet strip so that my dogs can get
up and down more easily (and my kids). I was looking at
carpetsaver.com, if you want to see what I mean. My dogs (past the
chewing stage and fully housetrained now, thank goodness) have full
run of the house, except for the formal living room, which is dog free
in deference to guests who may be allergic.

Good luck with the chew and house training!