How to deal with neighbor's dog barking

Old June 30th 06, 06:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
DK1000

Default How to deal with neighbor's dog barking

Hi,

I have an elderly widow neighbor who has a min-pin (or mix thereof as it
seems a little heavier). I'm very good friends with her, and her dog. The
dog loves everyone, including me. If something would happen to my neighbor,
a good chance I may be adopting the dog.

I would like to know what I can do, training wise, when the dog is let out
and he comes to the corner of her yard closest to my house, and right next
to my bedroom window. He barks seemingly to get my attention, but will go
there and bark as he can see any other activity on the street near my house.
So a good alert watchdog I guess. However, I'm a late sleeper due to too
many second shift jobs in my life, so what can I do, in a friendly way to
dissuade the dog from barking by "my" corner? I was thinking of getting a
dog whistle, as I'm sure he can hear that thru the glass window just as good
as I can hear his shrill barking? Will that work, or another approach?

My neighbor is very loving towards the dog, and she has a hard time
controlling the dog barking herself, even if I or someone else comes over,
the dog will have a barking fit when people leave, and when it's in her
house, it's deafening. Like the dog wants your attention and don't want to
see you go. She generally puts him in his cage, when someone is leaving, but
again, that shrill loud bark! (He'll bark and jump also if not put in the
cage). She has tried a collar that makes a high pitched noise when he barks,
as well as a stand alone unit that does something similar, and even turned
the collar on the "high" setting. This does not phase the little guy one
bit, he'll just keep barking (and jumping!).

What can we do to quiet him down?

Thanks.

Old June 30th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"Michelle" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Take a tin can (pop can) and put a few pennies in it. When
the dog starts to bark shake the can - but don't let him
see you do it. It will startle the dog and he will stop
barking. When he stops barking offer him a treat. Make
sure you shake it loudly and that he doesn't see you do it.
Do it each time he has a barking fit. Evenutally he will
associate his barking with the loud noise and will stop
barking. Reward his good behaviour with treats. Dogs learn
from positive reinforcement.

They also learn from a combination of punishment and
reinforcement - which is what you've described in your shake can
advice.

Old June 30th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:06:30 -0400, "DK1000"
wrote:

[]
I would like to know what I can do, training wise, when the dog is let out
and he comes to the corner of her yard closest to my house, and right next
to my bedroom window. He barks seemingly to get my attention, but will go
there and bark as he can see any other activity on the street near my house.

Min pins can be virtual barking machines, especially the ones that
haven't been properly OBEDIENCE TRAINED.

So a good alert watchdog I guess. However, I'm a late sleeper due to too
many second shift jobs in my life, so what can I do, in a friendly way to
dissuade the dog from barking by "my" corner?

In the short run, if she's your friend, I'd ask her to better
coordinate the times that she lets her min pin out in the yard. And
if the fence leaves something to be desired, as far as security
(escapability, etc.) goes, I'd warn your friend that she probably
shouldn't let him out in the yard when she's not there to *supervise*
him. She could easily come out to an empty yard one day.

And her supervison will have a *much* bigger impact on the dog, if she
OBEDIENCE TRAINS him first.

Everything starts with good OBEDIENCE TRAINING.

I was thinking of getting a
dog whistle, as I'm sure he can hear that thru the glass window just as good
as I can hear his shrill barking? Will that work, or another approach?

My neighbor is very loving towards the dog, and she has a hard time
controlling the dog barking herself,

Perhaps too "loving"? It's not un unusual for a novice dog owner to
confuse being loving with being much too permissive. That is, they're
so loving that they forget that dogs, even very small ones, REQUIRE
discipline, too.

My guess is that your friend is much too permisive with this dog,
which, if he is a min pin, can lead to problems (such as barking and
destructive behaviors).

even if I or someone else comes over,
the dog will have a barking fit when people leave, and when it's in her
house, it's deafening. Like the dog wants your attention and don't want to
see you go. She generally puts him in his cage, when someone is leaving, but
again, that shrill loud bark! (He'll bark and jump also if not put in the
cage). She has tried a collar that makes a high pitched noise when he barks,
as well as a stand alone unit that does something similar, and even turned
the collar on the "high" setting. This does not phase the little guy one
bit, he'll just keep barking (and jumping!).

What can we do to quiet him down?

Ditch the collar and find yourself (or your friend) a good OBEDIENCE
TRAINING class, or seek the services of a professional trainer.

Your friend's vet can probably aim you in the right direction.

The cure to all the barking, chewing, etc. will be found in some good
OBEDIENCE TRAINING.

Don't look for a quick fix, cuz there ain't one.

Good luck!

PS: You might want to get yourself a good breed book on the min pin.
It'll help to prepare you for what to expect, should you eventually
decide to take him. If you're not prepared to OBEDIENCE TRAIN this
little dog, you should at last be prepared for years and years of
barking, destructiveness. etc., as well as all the fun, affection,
etc.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Old June 30th 06, 08:36 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
DK1000

Thanks everybody for the input so far. I'll try the pennies in a pop can
thing, good suggestion. I don't think she'll get professional obedience
training, but maybe I can urge her into bring more strict with the dog.

I forgot to mention that, that the dog is one and a half years old, she got
him at about 8 weeks, and yes, she does have a fenced yard (4 feet high),
but the dog keeps digging under certain areas and dig get out a couple of
times, as well as his constant jumping when he's barking at something such
as a squirrel, cat, dog, etc. He can jump as high as the fence, but doesn't
quite (yet) know how to thrust himself forward and grab on. I warned her
he'll probably figure it out soon, and should get a leash that's got plenty
of slack, that if he does jump, he won't go far or hang himself, but she
says she's not worried about that now. She may see an empty back yard one of
these days.

Will something like a dog whistle still help, from inside my bedroom, if I
stand near the window. So I don't have to get dressed and go outside every
time. Maybe if we train him with the pop can and pennies, he'll still
recognize the sound from inside my house, I'm sure he'll hear it if I shake
the can hard enough by the window. I'd say he's only about 7 or 8 feet from
my bedroom window, and he barks right at it, he knows I'm there.

Old June 30th 06, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 15:36:16 -0400, "DK1000"
wrote:

Thanks everybody for the input so far. I'll try the pennies in a pop can
thing, good suggestion. I don't think she'll get professional obedience
training, but maybe I can urge her into bring more strict with the dog.

Then she, and you, deserve all the problems that will only keep
INTENSIFYING in nature.

Being "strict" with a dog, without knowing how, will only cause more
problems, not less.

I forgot to mention that, that the dog is one and a half years old, she got
him at about 8 weeks, and yes, she does have a fenced yard (4 feet high),
but the dog keeps digging under certain areas and dig get out a couple of
times,

Practice makes perfect, EH?

as well as his constant jumping when he's barking at something such
as a squirrel, cat, dog, etc. He can jump as high as the fence, but doesn't
quite (yet) know how to thrust himself forward and grab on. I warned her
he'll probably figure it out soon,

You can bet the freakin' farm on it.

and should get a leash that's got plenty
of slack, that if he does jump, he won't go far or hang himself, but she
says she's not worried about that now. She may see an empty back yard one of
these days.

If she's really your friend, and you care anything at all about the
*dog,* you'll have what I like to call a "Come to Jesus" session with
her. ASAP.

When this little escape artist finally does figure out how to get out
of the yard, you'll never see him again. And because he isn't used to
traffic, he'll probably end up under the tire of a Fed-Ex truck.

Will something like a dog whistle still help,

Only if you know how to use it, and if the dog understands what it
means.

That's what OBEDIENCE TRAINING can provide.

from inside my bedroom, if I
stand near the window. So I don't have to get dressed and go outside every
time. Maybe if we train him with the pop can and pennies, he'll still
recognize the sound from inside my house, I'm sure he'll hear it if I shake
the can hard enough by the window. I'd say he's only about 7 or 8 feet from
my bedroom window, and he barks right at it, he knows I'm there.

Actually, what I'm going do is, I'm going to start praying for your
friend's little dog.

He deserves a more responsible owner.

sigh

--
Handsome Jack Morrison

Old July 1st 06, 02:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Robin Nuttall

Handsome Jack Morrison wrote:

PS: You might want to get yourself a good breed book on the min pin.
It'll help to prepare you for what to expect, should you eventually
decide to take him. If you're not prepared to OBEDIENCE TRAIN this
little dog, you should at last be prepared for years and years of
barking, destructiveness. etc., as well as all the fun, affection,
etc.

Here's what I'm learning about Min Pins.

They tend to be territorial, and many bark. They are extremely active
and smart little guys and I can sure see where if they were left to
their own devices for too long, they would, um, bark. A lot.

They also tend to be biters. In fact, my breeder told me that often in
the show ring judges don't look hard at the mouth because the little
sh*ts bite!

Now I happen to own an exceptional, wonderful, super Min Pin. I am
totally ga-ga over this little guy. He's quiet in the crate, a bit
territorial in his crate or car at shows (we're working on that!) He
loves people, loves other dogs, and does NOT bite.

Now, how do you imagine *that* happened?

Old July 1st 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
DK1000

My neighbor's is a play biter, sometimes he'll instigate a mock war, he
never bites hard, but likes mock fighting and he mouths you but doesn't
clamp hard or anything. He also instigates tug of war, and growls a lot, but
never bites people, again just play biting. Only problem he'll instigate tug
if you have like long hanging sleeves on your coat, or an area he can grab.
I don't mind this if it's one of his toys for that purpose. I have a lot of
fun with the little guy. Only problem he always thinks you're playing. If
you go to pick him up, many times he'll initiate a play biting session and
play hard to pick up as he moves around too much. Once you grab him, he's
like a baby, loves to be held, and he's usually very calm then, even falling
asleep in your arms. He's also calm if you have to pick him up and carry him
(after you get him), seems like he knows better than to start biting and
squirming when he's being carried 4 feet or so above the ground. He also
weighs about 18 pounds. I read somewhere that min pins only weigh up to 12
pounds.

We would like to break him of the habit of jumping on people when they
leave, he gets so excited that he nips sometime, but he probably doesn't
mean to, just too excited.

Old July 1st 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
DK1000

I brought a can with pennies over there, and my neighbor says she tried that
when the dog was a puppy and it didn't work. When I tried it a few times
yesterday, it made him bark more, he must think I want to play. I don't
think my neighbor will shell out for obedience training, she's 80 yrs old
and on a fixed income.

What I'm really worried about is the dog tripping her, he's done it before,
as he's so packed with energy. And she lives alone. He's a solid 18 pound
muscle, so probably heavier than most min pins, and about a year and a half
old. My neighbor will sit on her front steps sometimes with the dog on about
a 12 foot chain on a post in the middle of the lawn, just short of him
reaching the sidewalk, but he can come to us on the porch. Last summer one
night, good thing I came outside, as the dog wrapped his chain around her
feet when she was going to get him to take him inside for the night. I found
her face down in the grass with the dog licking her face. She was lucky -
that time -, just badly shaken up.

It's not really the right dog for her, but she loves the little guy. He'll
chew up important papers in her house, and pull a plate of food off the
kitchen table when she gets distracted. Her sister gave her the dog as a
puppy as it was so rambunctious, and the sister got a little "Foo Foo" type
lap dog. Everybody loves the dog around here, as it's "so cute" they say,
and he has a lot of "personality". I always end up playing with the dog, the
dog seems to love everybody, even though he likes his play fighting and tug
which I posted about elsewhere in this thread.

Old July 1st 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky

"DK1000" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I brought a can with pennies over there, and my neighbor
says she tried that when the dog was a puppy and it didn't
work. When I tried it a few times yesterday, it made him
bark more, he must think I want to play.

Yes, that's one of the problems with poorly timed or
inappropriate distractions - they can easily increase the
behaviour. One dog's "penny can distraction" is another dog's
"scary sound from hell" or yet another dog's "cool, a new toy."

For what it's worth, I consider a penny can a fairly harsh form
of distraction, even when used properly - appropriate mainly for
extremely even-temperament dogs after better distractions have
failed.

I don't think my
neighbor will shell out for obedience training, she's 80
yrs old and on a fixed income.

What about if you split the cost and *you* take the dog to
class? You both need some hands-on feedback. Shelters,
rescues, and municipal animal services departments often offer
very good and inexpensive obedience courses.

Old July 1st 06, 08:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome Jack Morrison

On Sat, 01 Jul 2006 01:27:20 GMT, Robin Nuttall
wrote:

[]
Now I happen to own an exceptional, wonderful, super Min Pin. I am
totally ga-ga over this little guy. He's quiet in the crate, a bit
territorial in his crate or car at shows (we're working on that!) He
loves people, loves other dogs, and does NOT bite.

Now, how do you imagine *that* happened?

Robin, let me guess.

He has an owner with a clue? One who provides him with exercise,
obedience training, activities, etc?

Is that about right?

Unfortunately, Tuck's owner is clueless, and Tuck's future is going to
be grim, IMO.

--
Handsome Jack Morrison