anorexic looking...won't eat

Old July 5th 06, 07:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default anorexic looking...won't eat

I have a 9 year old small terrier mutt, Roxy, who normally weighs about
15 pounds.

About 10 days ago she got into the garbage and ate some raw chicken
scraps and some cooked chicken bones. She threw up a couple of times
and pooped normally but I went to the vet scared to death that Roxy
would die because of all the horror stories I read online. My vet said
she was ok and her bowels sounded normal and didn't give any signs of
true illness. He gave her something to slow down her stools just in
case she would get sick later.

Roxy has not been herself since then. She hasn't eaten hardly anything
which isn't like her. She looks anorexic and weak with the trembles.
Yesterday, I cooked her some rice and chicken. She ate some of it and
felt better but she would normally try to scarf something like that
down. I tried today to put some low sodium chicken broth on her food
but she wanted nothing to do with it. So, I gave her more chicken and
rice (I know I'm creating a whole separate problem with that but I hate
seeing her so thin).

Should I keep trying to get her just to eat anything until her strength
and personality come back and then put her back on her kibble? I
normally give her Sci Diet oral care. She loves it. Or, not feed her
people food and give her 30 minutes to eat her dog food twice a day
unitl she eats?

Any suggestions please!

Old July 5th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon

Call the vet back and tell him/her that the dog has made no improvements and
continues to act poorly.

--
*There are no accidents in life*
ups.com...

Old July 10th 06, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

I have taken my dog back to the vet. Blood tests were normal, except
for a slight white blood cell increase due to urinary tract infection.
A barium test with many xrays following it's path through Roxy's
digestive track showed no blockage but a possible ulcer in her stomach.

The vet says our next step is to see the inside of her stomach using a
tube and small camera...

Roxy will barely eat..one day she seemed really hungry and ate a little
puppy canned food but now she doesn't want it. I've tried potatoes
boiled in chicken broth and beef broth, plain pasta noodles, pnut
butter, and she will barely nibble.

I am so stressed watching my dog starve and refuse food. Anyone have
any suggestions?