Dog will only drink if bowl lifted and...

Old July 7th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
HkyGrL2

Default Dog will only drink if bowl lifted and...

Ok, so my boyfriend has a toy poddle. Whenever the dog is thirsty he
stands in front of the bowl and looks at my boyfriend. That's a que
for him to either lift the dog bowl or just tap it. Now, I don't know
about you, but that's a bit too much. Either the dog needs to be
reinforced that the bowl does have water, or he's a spoiled brat.
Also, the dog won't eat out of a bowl or plate. I don't know if that's
because he gets scared if the bowl moves, or again, if he's spoiled.
The dog will only eat if you put the food on the floor. How disgusting
is that?!
Has anyone else had this issue? If so, what's the deal.

Old July 7th 06, 11:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
MauiJNP

The dog will only eat if you put the food on the floor. How disgusting
is that?!

my mini poodle insists that she needs to spill the food out of the bowl
before eating her kibble. its no big deal to me as long as she eats it. if
it grosses you out, maybe you can get a plastic placemat to put the food on
instead of the floor

Old July 8th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"HkyGrL2" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Ok, so my boyfriend has a toy poddle. Whenever the dog is
thirsty he stands in front of the bowl and looks at my
boyfriend. That's a que for him to either lift the dog
bowl or just tap it. Now, I don't know about you, but
that's a bit too much.

It's cute, sure, but it's now a learned behaviour. I've a low
threshold for cute dog stuff myself, but that one I could abide.

Either the dog needs to be
reinforced that the bowl does have water, or he's a spoiled
brat.

Or neither. It could be a game, or better yet, communication
that is part of the bond between your boyfriend and his dog.

Also, the dog won't eat out of a bowl or plate. I
don't know if that's because he gets scared if the bowl
moves, or again, if he's spoiled. The dog will only eat if
you put the food on the floor. How disgusting is that?!

Dogs have habits, and sometimes those habits get reinforced -
sometimes inadvertently. So far, it doesn't seem so bad, but
that's my take on it. I certainly wouldn't let the dog eat off
the floor, though.

What does your boyfriend have to say about your concerns?

Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 20 February 5th 04 03:22 PM
Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 03:33 PM
Dog won't drink ! Jazz Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 03:33 PM
Water bowl phobia TrevorVA Dog behavior 8 August 25th 03 11:07 AM
Water bowl phobia TrevorVA Dog behavior 0 August 17th 03 11:13 AM