Dog terrified of air conditioner

Old July 8th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.misc
Mike Van Pelt

Default Dog terrified of air conditioner

We have a 15-month-old chihuahua/dachsund mix who's been a
happy, well adjusted dog up until now. We just got an air
conditioner installed, and whenever it runs, he acts like he's
having a panic attack. He shakes, heart pounding, fast
breathing, tries to hide in the back of the house, has no
interest in food or toys, or even the laser pointer which he
usually loves to chase.

He doesn't bark, yelp, or howl or anything.

As near as I can tell there's nothing physically going on
with him. He's fine in the morning before it starts running.

Now that I think about it, he sometimes used to shake when
the furnace came on in the winter, so maybe it's the blower
that's freaking him out. (We didn't need the furnace that
much this winter, so it wasn't running that often.)

Any ideas about how to deal with this issue?

--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)

Terrified of others Susan Dog behavior 69 September 19th 04 11:03 PM
Terrified of others Susan Dog behavior 0 July 4th 04 12:49 AM
Terrified of others Susan Dog behavior 0 July 4th 04 12:49 AM
Terrified of others Susan Dog behavior 0 July 4th 04 12:49 AM
Terrified of others Susan Dog behavior 0 July 4th 04 12:49 AM