Ear infection?

Old July 8th 06, 04:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
tscottme

Default Ear infection?

My 10 year old beagle/retriever mix has frequent scratching of her ears.
Sometimes she digs in her ears with her rear paw. I have used cotton swabs
to clean around the inside of the ear. What I find looks similar to human
ear wax and smells like dirty human feet. I suspect this is a fungus.

She doesn't swim, I'm careful when bathing her to keep her ears dry. Can
anyone shed any light on the brown goo I am finding and how to control it?
My vet is backed up and the dog's appointment is about a week away. Is
there anything I can treat her ear with? I have dipped cotton swabs in
white vinegar and swabbed her ears. Ditto with peroxide, but not very
frequently. Another dog owner said to ask the vet for "otomax".

Thanks for any help.

--

Scott

Old July 8th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"tscottme" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

Another dog owner said to ask the vet for "otomax".

And what did your vet say?

Personally, I'd stay away from peroxide unless told to use it by
my vet, and I'd still question it.

Old July 8th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
tscottme

"Rocky" wrote in message

And what did your vet say?

I haven't spoken to vet yet. I've been able to speak to vet tech to
schedule the appointment, but not the vet. The problem didn't seem to be
serious enough to persist on phone.

--

Scott

Old July 8th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"tscottme" said in rec.pets.dogs.health:

I haven't spoken to vet yet. I've been able to speak to
vet tech to schedule the appointment, but not the vet. The
problem didn't seem to be serious enough to persist on
phone.

I've had great luck getting advice on some stuff on the phone,
free, from my vets. I've had to wait for a few hours for a
return call on non-emergencies, though.

A possible ear infection (or mites) needs hands-on. Good luck,
and stay away swabbing with peroxide until you talk to your vet.

Old July 8th 06, 04:39 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
tscottme

"Rocky" wrote in message

I've had great luck getting advice on some stuff on the phone,
free, from my vets. I've had to wait for a few hours for a
return call on non-emergencies, though.

thanks. I will stay away from peroxide. Can't remember the last time I
used it. Mostly I swab with vinegar.

--

Scott