Political incorrectness and dog names

Old July 8th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

Default Political incorrectness and dog names

I'm interested in people's opinions of naming a dog "Brown Sugar"
after the Rolling Stones song. A lot of the dogs in this line are
named for songs: Monday is Blue Monday, Stormy is Stormy
Monday, Ozzy is Crazy Train, and there's another Rolling Stones
dog whose name I forget.

Sire is Brown Trout, and the breed are known as "brown dogs,"
so "Brown Sugar" fits really well. I'm just totally unaware if
there are still people who are offended by that song, its title,
and references to it, or is it generally accepted as part of our
culture?

This is providing the puppy survives her dam's mastitis.

Oblivious, as usual,

Amy Dahl

Warning: before giving advice, know that I may or may not
choose to follow it....

Old July 8th 06, 08:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Amy Dahl wrote:
I'm interested in people's opinions of naming a dog "Brown Sugar"
after the Rolling Stones song.

I'm puzzled by naming anything after any Rolling Stones
song. Never did care for those guys.

I'm kind of touchy on race issues but wouldn't have a
political problem with it, with the caveat that I'm white.
Aesthetic problem, however ...

Old July 8th 06, 08:13 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
karsan

Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Amy Dahl wrote:
I'm interested in people's opinions of naming a dog "Brown Sugar"
after the Rolling Stones song.

I'm puzzled by naming anything after any Rolling Stones
song. Never did care for those guys.

I'm kind of touchy on race issues but wouldn't have a
political problem with it, with the caveat that I'm white.
Aesthetic problem, however ...

This is the United States I do not see why you cant name your dog
after a rolling stones songes. My dog name is Joe.

Old July 8th 06, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

Melinda Shore wrote:

I'm puzzled by naming anything after any Rolling Stones
song. Never did care for those guys.

Wow. Hard to comprehend.
I bet you're not a big fan of Ozzy Osborne (sp?) and Black Sabbath,
either.

Amy Dahl

Old July 8th 06, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Amy Dahl wrote:
I bet you're not a big fan of Ozzy Osborne (sp?) and Black Sabbath,
either.

More than the Rolling Stones, but not huge. Couldn't tell
you why.

I do have endless admiration for Keith Richards' continuing
ability to draw breath, however.

Old July 8th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article .com,
karsan wrote:
This is the United States I do not see why you cant name your dog
after a rolling stones songes.

She wasn't asking for permission.

Old July 8th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Amy Dahl

karsan wrote:

This is the United States I do not see why you cant name your dog
after a rolling stones songes. My dog name is Joe.

I am sure I "can" name her that. I hope to compete with this dog,
though. There are some old-time dog names that stand out as
really racist. I hope if mine is perpetuated in record books and
pedigrees, people will more often think "clever name" and "great
song," or at worst "geez, what bad musical taste"...not "wow, this
sport is racist."

Amy Dahl

Old July 8th 06, 09:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Amy Dahl wrote:

Sire is Brown Trout, and the breed are known as "brown dogs,"
so "Brown Sugar" fits really well

Personally, I LOVE it! Not that I'm any judge of good taste, of
course.

Lynn K.

Old July 9th 06, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Amy Dahl wrote:
I'm interested in people's opinions of naming a dog "Brown Sugar"
after the Rolling Stones song. A lot of the dogs in this line are
named for songs: Monday is Blue Monday, Stormy is Stormy
Monday, Ozzy is Crazy Train, and there's another Rolling Stones
dog whose name I forget.

Sire is Brown Trout, and the breed are known as "brown dogs,"
so "Brown Sugar" fits really well. I'm just totally unaware if
there are still people who are offended by that song, its title,
and references to it, or is it generally accepted as part of our
culture?

This is providing the puppy survives her dam's mastitis.

Oblivious, as usual,

Amy Dahl

Warning: before giving advice, know that I may or may not
choose to follow it....

snip

The name Brown Sugar is derogatory to people of color. It is also
sexual in content when it comes to people of color. The song with the
lyric 'Put some sugar in my bowl', was a sexual reference.
The Rolling Stones also had a song about the Midnight Strangler, why
not call your dog the Midnight Strangler, cuz with the way you treat
and train dogs the 'pup will probably tear out someone's throat when it
is older.

Show Dog Bark