Dog with cracked front tooth

Old July 9th 06, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
KateMossberg

Default Dog with cracked front tooth

I have an 8 month old Pit Named Roxy. She's still in her puppy phase
and gets a little out of hand sometimes. Today when I was playing with
her she did this little puppy spazz out thing and did a faceplant right
into a tempered glass coffee table. She didn't yelp, just kinda sat
down and twisted her face up for a second, then started licking her
tongue out. I checked her jaw and head and nothing was terribly wrong
except she has a broken tooth in the very front. It was a little bloody
and appeared to be cracked all the way up to the gumline.
I was going to take her to the Emergency Vet Clinic, but I was told
they can't do much for dental problems. Does anyone have any advice for
me or at least some input to ease my mind? I am worried sick about her
and can't take her to her normal DR. Till tomorrow.

Thanks,
Kate

Old July 10th 06, 07:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

KateMossberg wrote:
I have an 8 month old Pit Named Roxy. She's still in her puppy phase
and gets a little out of hand sometimes. Today when I was playing with
her she did this little puppy spazz out thing and did a faceplant right
into a tempered glass coffee table. She didn't yelp, just kinda sat
down and twisted her face up for a second, then started licking her
tongue out. I checked her jaw and head and nothing was terribly wrong
except she has a broken tooth in the very front. It was a little bloody
and appeared to be cracked all the way up to the gumline.
I was going to take her to the Emergency Vet Clinic, but I was told
they can't do much for dental problems. Does anyone have any advice for
me or at least some input to ease my mind? I am worried sick about her
and can't take her to her normal DR. Till tomorrow.

If she's 8 months old I'm guessing that the tooth she cracked is an
adult incisor. It'll probably need to come out; your vet is the only
one who'll know for sure. Don't assume that your dog doesn't need
medical attention because she's not complaining the way a person with
similar injury would carry on. Dogs are amazingly stoic.

Call the Emergency Clinic and ask if it would be safe to give her some
baby aspirin and if so, how much and how often.

She'll be fine afterwards.

Old July 10th 06, 06:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
flick

"Kathleen" wrote in message
KateMossberg wrote:
[...]

Whoa, I wouldn't give the dog aspirin, especially if it's likely she's about
to have a tooth pulled. It will make the blood less likely to clot. Not a
good idea.

flick 100785

She'll be fine afterwards.

Old July 11th 06, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
KateMossberg

I took her to her regular vet today and they scheduled an extraction for tomorrow bright and early, till then they gave me some pills for her pain. I think everything is going to work out just fine, except the dent in my wallet, but it's ok, shes part of the family!

Thanks everyone for your advice!
Kate

Old July 11th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

flick wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

KateMossberg wrote:

[...]

I thought about that, too, which is why I suggested checking with the
Emergency Clinic first. My own dentist, however, told me to go ahead
and use Motrin (and dental wax) for a broken tooth that couldn't be seen
to until after the weekend.

Kathleen

Old July 11th 06, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 22:42:20 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

I thought about that, too, which is why I suggested checking with the
Emergency Clinic first. My own dentist, however, told me to go ahead
and use Motrin (and dental wax) for a broken tooth that couldn't be seen
to until after the weekend.

Motrin is different from aspirin. Aspirin is a blood thinner. Motrin
is not. If you ever think your dog may need surgery, it's best not to
give it aspirin because it can interfere with clotting during surgery.
They tell humans not to take aspirin before a surgery as well, but do
allow ibuprofen (Motrin) and Tylenol.

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old July 11th 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

wrote:

I thought about that, too, which is why I suggested checking with the
Emergency Clinic first. My own dentist, however, told me to go ahead
and use Motrin (and dental wax) for a broken tooth that couldn't be seen
to until after the weekend.

Motrin is different from aspirin. Aspirin is a blood thinner. Motrin
is not. If you ever think your dog may need surgery, it's best not to
give it aspirin because it can interfere with clotting during surgery.
They tell humans not to take aspirin before a surgery as well, but do
allow ibuprofen (Motrin) and Tylenol.

Hmm. I had surgery a few years back and I was told *no* NSAIDs of any
kind for two weeks prior to surgery. No aspirin, no ibuprofen, nada.
Tylenol only.

Kathleen

Old July 11th 06, 05:42 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006 23:30:17 -0500, Kathleen
wrote:

Hmm. I had surgery a few years back and I was told *no* NSAIDs of any
kind for two weeks prior to surgery. No aspirin, no ibuprofen, nada.
Tylenol only.

I wonder what the difference is. I could have ibuprofen but no
aspirin. And aspirin specifically is what my dad was told to take
when he was supposed to be blood thinning (I can't remember why). I
wonder if aspirin has more blood thinning qualities than the others or
something so it depends on if your surgeon is more cautious or
something.

Old July 11th 06, 05:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paula

wrote:

Hmm. I had surgery a few years back and I was told *no* NSAIDs of any
kind for two weeks prior to surgery. No aspirin, no ibuprofen, nada.
Tylenol only.

I wonder what the difference is. I could have ibuprofen but no
aspirin. And aspirin specifically is what my dad was told to take
when he was supposed to be blood thinning (I can't remember why). I
wonder if aspirin has more blood thinning qualities than the others or
something so it depends on if your surgeon is more cautious or
something.

Curiosity satisfied courtesy of Google. Apparently aspirin is the
only one that can block clotting for prolonged periods. Sounds like
your surgeon is just extra careful, not that that's a bad thing. But
good to know that mine was not being negligent or not careful enough!

http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroi...gs/article.htm

Old July 11th 06, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

I thought about that, too, which is why I suggested checking with the
Emergency Clinic first. My own dentist, however, told me to go ahead
and use Motrin (and dental wax) for a broken tooth that couldn't be seen
to until after the weekend.

Motrin is different from aspirin. Aspirin is a blood thinner. Motrin
is not. If you ever think your dog may need surgery, it's best not to
give it aspirin because it can interfere with clotting during surgery.
They tell humans not to take aspirin before a surgery as well, but do
allow ibuprofen (Motrin) and Tylenol.

But most vets consider ibuprofen to be a big no-no for dogs. I
recently talked with someone whose vet supposedly told her that it was
fine to give her dog ibuprofen every day, but that's not what most
vets will say.

Mustang Sally

Dog with cracked front tooth KateMossberg Dog health 6 July 11th 06 03:36 AM
Potty Training Shichon gats Dog behavior 30 February 3rd 05 10:03 PM
Pull my dog's tooth? Quem Dog health 4 October 9th 03 12:34 PM
Pull my dog's tooth? Quem Dog health 0 October 7th 03 08:13 PM
Solo's broken tooth Bethgsd Dog behavior 19 August 17th 03 10:46 AM